What's new

Any flashlight geeks here?

Todd..

A company known as 4Sevens makes a nifty little light that clips easily to your belt and can probably be held in your teeth pretty easily. It's called the "Preon" and comes in hard anodized and titanium variants.. it's got variable settings and is easy to operate.

A link to it is here:
http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_332

Caveat emptor, however.. once you are introduced to the world of flashlights, it can become as addictive, and potentially more expensive, than wet shaving!
-\Visdom

Okay guys, I enter the foray with trepidation. Over three hundred posts on this thread! Yikes. I simply don't have the will power to read them all. So I will post a couple of needs/questions and trust your responses.

Needs; A small-ish, LED torch for work. I am an industrial/commercial electrician by day so we

Regards, Todd

For good lights under 100$ check out fenix lights. I have used many models and they are tough. My first choice is Surefire, but that goes over your price and size requirements. There are many other options, but I don't find them very durable in the same small size. The AAA single are tiny.
http://www.fenixlight.com/newping.asp?classid=1

Last edited:
I have been waffling between the Surefire L2X and the E2D for some time now, the big question I have reguarding comparing the two is their lower end output. Is 5 lumens too low for anything that is not right in front of you or is 15 too high for dark adapted eyes. I would be using this both in the woods and on my boat at night or if/when the power goes out.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Okay guys, I enter the foray with trepidation. .
Needs; A small-ish, LED torch for work.
fairly rugged (thinking aluminium here) LED model that has the on/off switch on the end of the handle.

I picked up a few of these flashlights from Lee Valley. 9 Led 3 AAA batteries were included for $4.95 each. They far outshine flashlights I've paid way more to own. Button is on the end.

I have been waffling between the Surefire L2X and the E2D for some time now, the big question I have reguarding comparing the two is their lower end output. Is 5 lumens too low for anything that is not right in front of you or is 15 too high for dark adapted eyes. I would be using this both in the woods and on my boat at night or if/when the power goes out.

Of course it would all depend on the situation, but 5 lumens should be plenty for small things like finding your keys at night, crawling under a desk to plug stuff into a computer, reading a map at night, etc. 15 lumens might be too much for close up if you are adjusted to the dark.

Surefire Kroma (multi color, multi intensity) in the truck

Surefire EL1 Outdoorsman (Low / High output, small, reverse clip for clpping to hat.) Clipped to pocket or in briefcase most days.

E-Gear Pico Light, super tiny, I use it as a zipper pull on a few coats, and on keychains. retails for about $10, 10 lumens, great light!

@ Royalcrown

My EL1 Outdoorsman has a Low 3 Lumen output, it is plenty for most tasks, even finding your way at night, while keeping your night vision. Another option for not wrecking your night vision is using different coloured light, blue and red don't screw it up too bad.

My EL1 Outdoorsman has a Low 3 Lumen output, it is plenty for most tasks, even finding your way at night, while keeping your night vision. Another option for not wrecking your night vision is using different coloured light, blue and red don't screw it up too bad.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for. A red filter was a forgone conclusion.

I picked up a few of these flashlights from Lee Valley. 9 Led 3 AAA batteries were included for $4.95 each. They far outshine flashlights I've paid way more to own. Button is on the end.

Those would be perfect for the vehicles. Not to impune the ladies but they have no clue about taking care of or keeping track of these things. I could see my buying them a Surefire or similar and not being able to find it a week later. Seriously.

Regards, Todd

I give up! This thread, coupled with my need for a good flash, has got the best of me.
I am a pc tech, always needing a flashlight when under a desk, in the dark, trying to see where the cables go.
No more room on the belt. I need an led, keychain size, flashlight. Around $50.00 would be ok. Bright as possible. AAA or AA battery. But must fit the keychain size requirement.
What would you gents recommend?

Thanks.

I give up! This thread, coupled with my need for a good flash, has got the best of me.
I am a pc tech, always needing a flashlight when under a desk, in the dark, trying to see where the cables go.
No more room on the belt. I need an led, keychain size, flashlight. Around $50.00 would be ok. Bright as possible. AAA or AA battery. But must fit the keychain size requirement.
What would you gents recommend?

Thanks.

IMO, this flashlight is a tad heavy for the keychain, but it is easily pocketable. This is one of the lights my wife carries daily. Lifetime warranty. Decent output. AA form factor. Easily fits in your price range.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Infinity-Ultra-M-22-80027.htm

Go to: http://www.dealextreme.com/

Do a search on led lights. Read Reviews and take your pick. What sells for $200 here you can get for $19.95 at DX with free shipping. This is where the geeks (my son-in-law) get there experimental parts. I have ordered from them and they do a great job and free shipping.

Once you get over the "made in china" part, you will realize there is no better deal than Fenix lights. I have a L0D on my keychain that is tiny, brighter than my surefires (with LED upgrades....), lasts for HOURS, and runs on 1 single AAA lithium. There are no comparisons.

I've always got some sort of flashlight hanging on my belt. Usually with my cellphone, knife, flashlight, CCW, my kids refer to it as my "Batman Utility Belt".

I started keeping a flashlight on me when my kids were born. Here in north Texas we can get thunderstorms that knock out power several times a year. Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that a kid with a flashlight when the lights go out is happier than a kid suddenly caught in the dark. So in my daily carry bag I could have as many as 5 lights of various sizes.

There's also one in each glovebox of the cars and in the tool pouches of the motorcycles. One in each end table in the house, one hanging on my pegboard above the tool bench.

The kids love to turn my light on while I'm wearing it and tell me "Daddy, you're a firefly again!"

Zacsdaddy

I've been a member of CandlepowerForums since 2001 - back then, the LED flashlights put out about 5 lumens and by today's LED standards are a joke, but I still carry my Arc LE AAA on my keyring (along with 3 other LED lights) and have 30+ LED flashlights; some of which are protos that never made it to market.

Can someone suggest to me a good flashlight around $20? No mag lites please.

Grab the iTP A3 EOS stainless AAA "upgraded" edition; L>M>H twisty that'll serve you well - a nice low Low setting and will withstand the abuse of keys and coins and mine still looks new. The high setting kicks butt for a light of its size and will disappear into your pocket easily, or wear it on a neck lanyard, toss it into your glovebox, etc. That said, I like the Illuminati Titanium AAA better but you'll spend over $20.
Check out the Quark lights from 4sevens.com and maybe you'll re-think your budget. :001_smile

Just ordered the maratac AAA in natural.
Really, I was just as interested in the fenix E01, but there was a bunch of other stuff I wanted at countycomm.com.
Pocket lights
can openers
phone bags
keyring screwdrivers
S-biners
pocket straight razors
screw links
organizers
and tube vaults

Over a hundred bucks.

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom