What's new

Any flashlight geeks here?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You've got the wrong guy on this thread to argue with. I've been in Streamlight development labs hundreds of times over the last 10 years. Nobody designs their own leds, but they have tremendous pull with the led manufacturers. Their led testing is unbelievable! Beam uniformity and lumens are simply second to none.
They have shown me their side by side comparisons with nitecore (not pictures, hands on) and they're not in the same league. Not opinion, fact. There's a reason Streamlight is on every police officers gun in the field, fireman's lights, and ems tool box.
I'm not a collector, no dog in the fight here, but sit with their engineers for 10 minutes and I'll say I've never seen such pride in a product.
They'll source the best leds available every year, sort out the best of the batch and send about half back to the manufacturer to sell to nitecore :)

Just don't get a 2010 model... It's 2021 now. 🤔 Somehow!

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, old thread. Think of it as a history lesson haha. Nice to see it growing again though.

My humble line up......
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

Just don't get a 2010 model...
Too right. Why get a 2010 model, when you can get a 1910 model!

When I saw this thread in a forum top-heavy with rabid vintage shaving-gear geeks, discussing their flashlight collections, this is what I expected to see:

electric torch collection.jpg

Imagine my disappointment to discover that it was really all about over-priced, over-engineered, quasi-military, pseudo-tactical power-hungry L.E.D. torches for boys playing soldier.
Nevertheless, it was "enlightening" to read about these modern tools-of-the-trade and I'm now as well-equipped for the market-place as a scout for an extended camping trip.

By the way, is it really a "flashlight" if it doesn't have a button for flashing code?
I ask this in all seriousness, because it's commonly referred to as a "torch" or, more correctly, an "electric torch" (though that's an antiquated term), in the British Isles, and I always thought the term "flashlight" only applied to those with a button for flashing.

M

member 119848

Not being a geek, but I´m in the market for a pair of flashlights for preparedness.
One manufacturer that got my attention lately is Streamlight. There are many models to choose from.

Here´s my wishlist so far:

• a Streamlight for around the house (I´m hesitating between the yellow Dualie and the Sidewinder) it like the fact that they´re reliable, easy to use, and take AA batteries.
  • from another brand, the Nitecore P18 for shelf-difence purposes. Although it may even be an EDC. I have to see if Streamlight has something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I saw this thread in a forum top-heavy with rabid vintage shaving-gear geeks, discussing their flashlight collections, this is what I expected to see:

View attachment 1220898

Imagine my disappointment to discover that it was really all about over-priced, over-engineered, quasi-military, pseudo-tactical power-hungry L.E.D. torches for boys playing soldier.
Nevertheless, it was "enlightening" to read about these modern tools-of-the-trade and I'm now as well-equipped for the market-place as a scout for an extended camping trip.

By the way, is it really a "flashlight" if it doesn't have a button for flashing code?
I ask this in all seriousness, because it's commonly referred to as a "torch" or, more correctly, an "electric torch" (though that's an antiquated term), in the British Isles, and I always thought the term "flashlight" only applied to those with a button for flashing.

LOFL, I had the same expectations as you! Though I'm not a collector, I do have quite a collection of them if that makes sense.
Really nice lineup you have there. For the record, my streamlight has a push button that can screw down for full "on" mode or screw upwards to enable push button code mode :) .

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here´s my wishlist so far:

• a Streamlight for around the house (I´m hesitating between the yellow Dualie and the Sidewinder) it like the fact that they´re reliable, easy to use, and take AA batteries.
  • from another brand, the Nitecore P18 for shelf-difence purposes. Although it may even be an EDC. I have to see if Streamlight has something similar.

I'd avoid AA batteries. These LED lights drain them too quickly and I dont think they provide enough power to see the full potential of the LED, certainly not for long anyway.

Lithium Ion is a whole new world. The 21700 Nitecore P12 will run for 2700 hours, 50 days, on its lowest 1 Lumen setting they say and I believe it. I've been using my P30 around the house since I got it and the battery is still showing 4.2v. Which leads me to a very useful feature of Nitecore lights. If you hold down the mode switch then push the power switch while watching the blue mode switch, it blinks out the voltage remaining in the battery. Blink, blink, blink, blink. Pause. Blink, blink. Meaning, the battery is holding 4.2v. I charge my batteries when they show 3.6v and they've been problem free since I got them years ago.

I picked the Nitecore P12 because at the time it was the only 18650 light that had a memory for strobe. You can set it to strobe, or any other mode, power it off and when powered back on it keeps the setting it was left at. I've used that feature in three confrontations, two prowlers in my neighborhood and in one road rage incident and each time, as soon as the beam hit them in the face, they froze, closed their eyes and turned their head. Held in the fist, its hard to think of a better fist load.

Virtually all LED lights these days have a momentary on feature so if Morse Code is your thing, you can do it. Both my Nitecores have Strobe, Beacon and S.O.S modes.

The P12 has a great beam with nice flood and surprising throw distance for such a small light. Using it fishing at night on trails, it gives a wall of bright white light. The lanyards Nitecore lights come with are also surprisingly robust.

These new 21700 batteries are different. I have a dual 18650 charger with a USB-C connection. The 21700 batteries charge via USB but wont charge from my 18650 charger. Not a problem really but I had hoped it would.

Nitecore-NL2150R-21700-5000mah-USB-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery_Lightorati-India_06-800x600.jpg

I just plugged it into my desktop PC to charge it. Because of that however, I'm thinking about buying a USB power bank so I can charge it when away or buy another battery which I should have done anyway. My P12 has seen several week long hunting and fishing trips over the years and I've needed the second battery but I never had both batteries die on trip.

I'd avoid AA batteries. These LED lights drain them too quickly and I dont think they provide enough power to see the full potential of the LED, certainly not for long anyway.
My Streamlight Stylus takes 2 AAAA (yes quad a) batteries. They've not needed to be changed for years and it gets frequent use. This thing lights up across 2 acres no problem to find the dog at night lol. The beam uniformity is unparalleled!
16129718610483262373113864810844.jpg

16129719857478875696305278707419.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Not necessarily a geek, but I have acquired a handful of good performers over the years:
  • Two Streamlight TL-3 LEDs (CR-123)
  • Four or five Streamlight Styli (AAAAs, which corrode far too quickly and have ruined all of them.)
  • Two SureFire L4 Digital Lumimaxes (CR-123)
  • SureFire Titan Plus (AAA)
  • ThruNite T1 (18350)
  • ThruNite T2 (21700)
I keep one TL-3 around the house, and the other in the car. Both SureFire L4s are weapons mounted. The SureFire Titan Plus stays in the pocket.

I live in a rural area and like to get up really early and drive five miles for coffee and conversation at 4:30 a.m. So in the summer, I carry the ThruNite T1 to find my way to the car; in the winter, when I'm wearing coats with ample pockets, I carry the ThruNite T2.

I also have lots of cheap junk flashlights and LED lanterns strewn around the house for when the lights go out.

For bulletproof quality, I'd opt for SureFire; for price/performance, ThruNites are hard to beat.

My next purchase will likely be a NiteCore head lamp that takes both 18650s and CR-123s. (Recommendations welcome.) As I said, the lights go out here with annoying frequency and I like to read. I know, I should save my money and buy a generator, but I live in an apartment in what used to be the local Grange hall, so that's not an option.

View attachment 1220898

Beautiful collection !

M

member 119848

Lithium Ion is a whole new world. The 21700 Nitecore P12 will run for 2700 hours, 50 days, on its lowest 1 Lumen setting they say and I believe it. I've been using my P30 around the house since I got it and the battery is still showing 4.2v. Which leads me to a very useful feature of Nitecore lights. If you hold down the mode switch then push the power switch while watching the blue mode switch, it blinks out the voltage remaining in the battery. Blink, blink, blink, blink. Pause. Blink, blink. Meaning, the battery is holding 4.2v. I charge my batteries when they show 3.6v and they've been problem free since I got them years ago.

I picked the Nitecore P12 because at the time it was the only 18650 light that had a memory for strobe. You can set it to strobe, or any other mode, power it off and when powered back on it keeps the setting it was left at. I've used that feature in three confrontations, two prowlers in my neighborhood and in one road rage incident and each time, as soon as the beam hit them in the face, they froze, closed their eyes and turned their head. Held in the fist, its hard to think of a better fist load.

Virtually all LED lights these days have a momentary on feature so if Morse Code is your thing, you can do it. Both my Nitecores have Strobe, Beacon and S.O.S modes.

The P12 has a great beam with nice flood and surprising throw distance for such a small light. Using it fishing at night on trails, it gives a wall of bright white light. The lanyards Nitecore lights come with are also surprisingly robust.

These new 21700 batteries are different. I have a dual 18650 charger with a USB-C connection. The 21700 batteries charge via USB but wont charge from my 18650 charger. Not a problem really but I had hoped it would.

I just plugged it into my desktop PC to charge it. Because of that however, I'm thinking about buying a USB power bank so I can charge it when away or buy another battery which I should have done anyway. My P12 has seen several week long hunting and fishing trips over the years and I've needed the second battery but I never had both batteries die on trip.
Thanks for the insight Esox!

Nitecore make good tactical flashlights. Where I live firearms are not an option. So a dazzler can give precious seconds to get out of a situation. The red LED that the P18 offers is also a nice feature for small tasks that don´t require light power.

I live in the countryside, and recently it was so dark on a car park, that I couldn´t find where to stick my keys to open the car from the boot. I had no light, and it was freezing cold, my 10 years old daughter did the task for me. (it´s an old car, I don´t have remote keys, and my car only opens from the trunk) this situation happened to me twice last month :biggrin1:
That´s why I got interested in flashlights, and I´m going to buy one for personal protection, and one for the household.

Sure, AA batteries are not the most efficient, but they are everywhere available and ubiquitous. And when it comes to having an utilitarian flashlight that is robust and reliable, so good for a SHTF situation, something like the Streamlight Dualie 3AAA seams to be a good choice:

I like my zebralights with a 90 deg head. Compact also usable as a headlamp and for the size and battery a looooot of light

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Thanks for the insight Esox!

Nitecore make good tactical flashlights. Where I live firearms are not an option. So a dazzler can give precious seconds to get out of a situation. The red LED that the P18 offers is also a nice feature for small tasks that don´t require light power.

I live in the countryside, and recently it was so dark on a car park, that I couldn´t find where to stick my keys to open the car from the boot. I had no light, and it was freezing cold, my 10 years old daughter did the task for me. (it´s an old car, I don´t have remote keys, and my car only opens from the trunk) this situation happened to me twice last month :biggrin1:
That´s why I got interested in flashlights, and I´m going to buy one for personal protection, and one for the household.

Sure, AA batteries are not the most efficient, but they are everywhere available and ubiquitous. And when it comes to having an utilitarian flashlight that is robust and reliable, so good for a SHTF situation, something like the Streamlight Dualie 3AAA seams to be a good choice:

You're welcome.

1000 Lumens in the face is a lot more effective than I expected it to be. A few years ago there was an altercation up the street from me, loud enough it brought me outside just in time to see someone get in their car and come screeching down the street. I lit the driver up from my second floor balcony with my P12 and he was instantly blinded and had no choice but to step on the brakes and stop. Animals react the same way. The natural instinct when struck blind is to freeze and then retreat, and thats exactly what happens. Think of it as a highly effective diversion that gives you time.

I like the light in the video but the modes and what not arent much of an issue. My 84 year old mother is using my P12 now because I got tired of buying and recharging batteries for her lol. A two pack of AA Energizer rechargeable batteries here are $15 by the time tax is added in. I've had poor luck with AA and AAA rechargables and dont regret for a second switching to 18650's. If I wanted something smaller, like a key chain light, it would be different. I have a small single AAA cell key chain light and I dont use it. It's halogen though not LED and theres a huge difference both in beam quality and brightness.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My Streamlight Stylus takes 2 AAAA (yes quad a) batteries. They've not needed to be changed for years and it gets frequent use. This thing lights up across 2 acres no problem to find the dog at night lol. The beam uniformity is unparalleled! View attachment 1221021
View attachment 1221022

I've looked at pen lights like that and would even have a use for one but I've never seen AAAA batteries here on the shelf.

You mention beam quality. Thats a big point of the matter and my only quibble with my P12. The flood is wide but soft. This P30 though has a perfect beam quality. The flood is wide and extremely well defined with an incredibly bright center spot. I'm about 60 yards from a 4 lane street. Across that street is a large building, the old Kellogg's plant thats being renovated into a Hard Rock Hotel. As dark as it gets here, my P12 barely lights up the top floor thats maybe 200 yards away. This P30 lit up a top floor window, at sunset, bright enough to make a person squint and turn away. For the listed 1000 Lumen, it's incredible. As I understand it, they've accomplished that through the design of the reflector and lens quality. Its a decided step up from my P12.

This is the beam at ~2 feet on low, 70 Lumen. I wanted a lot of throw with decent spill. Its perfect.

IMG_3400.JPG

I have it's less expensive cousin the Streamlight 2AA ProPolymer 65.

My wife dislikes multiple modes and this was perfect. I wouldn't call the beam blinding, but it's plenty bright for most tasks especially loaded with 2 lithium primaries.

Personally, I'm a fan of AA batteries. I stick with rechargeable or lithium primaries for the most part, but it's nice to have access to them at pretty much any gas station or convenience store if needed.

Last edited:
M

member 119848

I have it's less expensive cousin the Streamlight 2AA ProPolymer 65.

My wife dislikes multiple modes and this was perfect. I wouldn't call the beam blinding, but it's plenty bright for most tasks especially loaded with 2 lithium primaries.

Personally, I'm a fan of AA batteries. I stick with rechargeable or lithium primaries for the most part, but it's nice to have access to them at pretty much any gas station or convenience store if needed.
Thank you! Simplicity is really my thing too. I´ll pick up of of these too.

Being on Candlepower Forums since 2003, maybe I'm an aficionado. 😉 Have been there for info on headlamps for climbing and backcountry and self and home defense. Have gone the route from Streamlight and Surefire, still have the original L4 Lumamax, THE WALL OF LIGHT, early Fenix, Olight, Eagletac... to Zebralights... SC600 first gen, my house and bedside light; SC52, a great AA light, my EDC and travel light; SC62, another phenomenal light another EDC. An early Olight Triton that I bought right after a home invasion in Feb 2008.

I've got lights, mostly 18650 around the house. A CR123 light in my 4Runner. Still have my Pila 18650 charger. Use currently an Opus BT-C3400. And a Maha MH-C9000 for the AA and AAA Eneloops. In the AA SC52, I use 14500 cells, or Energizer Lithium in very cold weather.

All in all, haven't bought a light in about five or six years, the science back then still works very well.

These are the light I use on a regular basis. All are great
20210211_092715.jpg
lights!

Top Bottom