What's new

Damaged Vintage Bakelite Razor. Advice On Repair, The Best Glue Type, Etc, Kindly Requested!

Hello there Gentlemen!

I recently scored a lovely English Souplex Double Six Minor Gen 1 from the late 40's-mid 50's. A really nice piece that was a great price and was looking forward to reviewing.

Unfortunately when it arrived, it had sustained damage in transit. A section of one of the safety bars had sheared off. I was not a happy camper when I saw it. Pics here:
IMG_20240501_223959047.jpg
IMG_20240501_224014060.jpg

IMG_20240501_224147858.jpg

I was wondering whether anyone has had experience repairing a damaged bakeliite vintage, and what would be the best type of adhesive to use on this material and best resistance to hottish water exposure. Also any tips on curing times to effect the best repair.

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated as always, as I am determined to get this by all accounts awesome shaver back on the road.

Note the blade seen loaded is mine. I was eyeballing the models pronounced asymmetrical sides which makes it such an interesting type.

Thanks Gents!

Last edited:
  • Not recommended for bonding rear-view mirrors to car windscreens

I first said to self, my go to is good old C A cyo acrawhatever, for bakelite, BUT, that is for cases, bonds well, can be used to build up missing bits with a variety of fillers coloured or plain or sanded bakelite dust, and sanded and coloured and polished, generally okie dokey.

But, it is not really recommended for constant contact with water? eventually it may fail?

Immediate thought on Harold-ite, is good stuff, bean round since Noah parked the Ark. But? the crack is 0.01520 widths of a poofteenth when you jamb the sukka back together, is there enough Haroldite in that crak to do the job. normally one would leave a blob on the outside? no? to brace the piece.

So i see the disclaimer no usey haroldite on rear view mirrors, Now that glue is some magic gooly goop!
I'd look into windscreen/mirror gloo.

:idea:

Any two component resin glue should do the trick. Apply with a toothpick and wipe of the excess with a warm damp rag. Leave to cure and you should be good to go. Just don't rinse the razor with steaming hot water. The one I glued together still holds strong and has been rinsed with water that was on the hot side.
Please post some pictures of your handy work when done.
UHU plus is my favorite. Everything I glued with it is still solid..

JB Weld produces a strong hold and can be used in water. I used it to glue back a plastic dishwasher wheel axle while waiting on the repair parts to arrive. It survived at least one hot wash & dry cycle intact.

While most any 2-part epoxy would probably work, JB Weld is my go-to with a proven track record.

The tricky part is applying just enough of it to hold, but not so much that it will change the geometry of the razor.

I use this on various repairs for plastics, metals, granite, etc. with excellent results. It is pretty potent and nasty to work with, as it is super sticky and stinky. I am guessing it would work equally great on Bakelite.

EDIT: Probably very similar to the Araldite you mentioned

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 9.35.37 AM.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom