What's new

Ambrose strop

Hey guys,

I just recently got an awesome strop from our dear fellow member Ambrose. Do you guys do anything to the canvas strop or? It's quite stiff and I'm sure there's a way to soften it up bit...Any suggestions?

Cheers

JF

I don't think that stiff canvas is necessarily a bad thing. Kanoyama canvas is very very stiff and it's supposed to be especially good at toning down a harsh edge.

Cool! I'm just not used to it I guess. It's a little stiffer and feels crispier than a SRD fabric for example.

I bought a vintage strop recently. It was in very good condition, and the leather strop had obviously been used. Interestingly, the linen side still had the wax paper-like wrapping on it. It was obviously original packaging. In other words, it was vintage linen in entirely unused original condition.

It was very stiff!

Ambrose's cloth component is good. I think I prefer my TM's cloth a bit more (and the reason is because it is a slight bit less stiff... quite possibly because I got it used/prebroken in), but Ambrose is my second favorite cloth component. If you want to see a stiff cloth strop, buy a Bismark (or Illinois). Their cloth is basically plastic with vertical ridges.

The canvas breaks in very quickly but doesn't get too soft but just right. Try working it with your hands.

The canvas breaks in very quickly but doesn't get too soft but just right.

+1 :thumbup1: It felt very stiff and zippy when I first got it, but gets just right after stropping a few times. Doesn't fray and works great! It isn't any more stiff than my NOS Hess Hair canvas.

Top Bottom