What's new

Aftershave/cologne collection

Maybe you need to look closer, the lable says "frost lime"

and in icy letters.. "IT COOLS"

Beat me to it!

They were proud of the "Ice Blue" trademark- everything that Aqua Velva put out at the time said it- even the "Sport" and "musk" which were brown/orange.

Incidentally, Mason, I've re-assessed my original description of Masters Challenge- it's smelling more and more like Tabac to me now than Special Reserve.

Beat me to it!

They were proud of the "Ice Blue" trademark- everything that Aqua Velva put out at the time said it- even the "Sport" and "musk" which were brown/orange.

Incidentally, Mason, I've re-assessed my original description of Masters Challenge- it's smelling more and more like Tabac to me now than Special Reserve.

Interesting, I've yet to have a chance to smell Tabac either, though I did see it in the perfume
kiosk at the mall.

Last edited:
Talk about a blast from the past. I remember having several of those on my dresser "back in the day". I had forgotten all about English Leather and Hai Karate.

I really like that Skin Bracer bottle too. Very unique.

Impressive collection!

I took some pics of some of the fragrances I've accumulated the last few years.

proxy.php

Is that a Parker 22R TTO DE? How do you find it?

Yes it is, and I recently wrote a review of it:

The problem I have with most of my vintage DE's is balance. I have large hands, and my previous Gillette was too short and top heavy. This lead to fairly aggressive shaves, whether I wanted them or not.

I sampled several Merkur, Parker and a Goodfella's DE's recently at a trade show and ended up walking away with this one. The handle is long enough, and it certainly is an attractive razor even though the gunmetal surface can lead to slippery hands. It's easy enough for most noobs to work with, and the balance (for me) is spot on. Its weight is focused on the handle, not the head like so many DE's on the market. Some may prefer all the weight to be in the head, but I, like many others, who alternate between a cartridge and a DE are used to the weight being on the handle.

For that reason I recommend this as the perfect entry level DE for someone just getting into wetshaving. The results are fantastic if you know what you're doing, but if you're a seasoned pro that likes a short, stubby handled top-heavy razor, this may not be your cup of tea.

It comes in an attractive brown fiberglass (possibly plastic) box that's perfect for travelling.

I really can't think of any negative things to say about this razor, except that maybe the grip gets too slippery from time to time. Also, this razor attracts soap scum like no other I've ever owned. I boil it in a pot of water on the stove about once a month to get the soap stains out of the finish. Other than that, I really can't complain about anything. It's taken a liking to all blades I've fed it and it's really hard to nick yourself with this one unless you're using too much pressure. You have to align certain blades (Feathers and Personna's come to mind) by sight and make sure they sit on even when tightening down. This is not a problem if you've ever used an older Schick that was designed around the decades old blades of the time.

Please can you identify this one; I remember I had an aftershave musk lotion with the exactly same orange "window" logo, but I can't remember a maker. Thank you.

That was English Leather Musk, available in aftershave, cologne, and later on an aftershave/cologne. That particular bottle is late seventies/early eighties vintage.

All I can say is, WOW!

That is a lot of aftershave. Really neat collection. I've tried only a few aftershaves but have become a big fan of Master Bay Rum. It really works for my skin. I'd really like to try the other scents but don't know where to find them as my Sally's only carries the Bay Rum.

The search continues.

But great collection.

how does the british crown smell?i seem to recall running across a similar looking bottle in the early 80's at a closeout store.IIRC the glue holding the wood onto the plastic cap had dried out and the wood overcap had fell off.also to my memory it had an acrid smell i did not like so i never got any of it.
p.s.- awesome colllection

Last edited:
It smells like a British Sterling/English Leather knock off. It's not quite as putrid as you describe, but I was kind of disappointed in it.

Top Bottom