What's new

2024 Digital purchasing restraint

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
It already is, isn't it? That's the whole point of this exercise.

It's not just the banking services providers and storekeepers that I am trying to maintain my privacy from either, but also the vast multitude of third party data partners snoopers interwoven into the sellers website and IT systems. And the cloud security system it's hosted on, and all their data partners. And the paymemt intermediary, and all their data partners. And the delivery companies, and all their data partners. And all their data partners data partners.

If I pay in cash, the only people informed about the transaction, are the two directly taking part in it, and not 100+ companies on four continents.

Or worse. Imagine your money being “turned off” for 30 days, because that social media post you made in 2019 is now deemed “wrongspeak” by some bureaucrat in Brussels.

Don’t think it will happen? Isn’t the UK where they can already throw you in jail for a social media post?

As I mentioned above, be careful what you wish for. It’s all fun and games and playing the Jetsons, until the compliance machine is finally turned upon you, personally.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Or worse. Imagine your money being “turned off” for 30 days, because that social media post you made in 2019 is now deemed “wrongspeak” by some bureaucrat in Brussels.

Don’t think it will happen? Isn’t the UK where they can already throw you in jail for a social media post?

As I mentioned above, be careful what you wish for. It’s all fun and games and playing the Jetsons, until the compliance machine is finally turned upon you, personally.

I'll stick to worrying about things as far as my own personal influence can reach.

I don't use stalker media. I have minimal exposure to the gaslight media too. I try to keep my world quite small (save for this forum), and can therefore not fret too much about the world beyond, or matters I am powerless to chose over or influence. The less that I am a burden to others, or they are a burden to me, the better.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'll stick to worrying about things as far as my own personal influence can reach.

I don't use stalker media. I have minimal exposure to the gaslight media too. I try to keep my world quite small (save for this forum), and can therefore not fret too much about the world beyond, or matters I am powerless to chose over or influence. The less that I am a burden to others, or they are a burden to me, the better.

Sometimes you can run, but never hide. I’ll play the dystopian scenario one more move.

“Our national health database indicates that you failed to receive the latest Booster Version 27.4 by the 31st of last month, as mandated by the Health Minister’s Office. Your national resource access privileges are now restricted to level 1, and all access to your national currency account is limited to ‘domicile subsistence’ level. If you do not rectify this omission in 3 days, all national resource and currency access will be suspended.”

History has amply proven that the person who least burdens the system is a dead one.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Sometimes you can run, but never hide. I’ll play the dystopian scenario one more move.

“Our national health database indicates that you failed to receive the latest Booster Version 27.4 by the 31st of last month, as mandated by the Health Minister’s Office. Your national resource access privileges are now restricted to level 1, and all access to your national currency account is limited to ‘domicile subsistence’ level. If you do not rectify this omission in 3 days, all national resource and currency access will be suspended.”

History has amply proven that the person who least burdens the system is a dead one.

None of that suggests to me that my approach is incorrect, ill informed, or misguided. It just says there are monsters bigger than me that I will never defeat.

But I am not prepared to spend the rest of my days living in fear of those monsters. I am aware of them, but I will live as freely and respectfully as I can, until the day they swallow me up. My path is unchanged.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
None of that suggests to me that my approach is incorrect, ill informed, or misguided. It just says there are monsters bigger than me that I will never defeat.

But I am not prepared to spend the rest of my days living in fear of those monsters. I am aware of them, but I will live as freely and respectfully as I can, until the day they swallow me up. My path is unchanged.
I'm aware of the bigger issues, but honestly - besides going on a personal rant or just trying to support elected officials who don't seem so set on controlling our every step, there is little that the average Joe can do about Big Brother and their ultimate goal of having data points on every living being.
Ultimately, what one individual can do against the machine of big consumerism and the Politicians that support it is like

download.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ultimately, what one individual can do against the machine of big consumerism and the Politicians that support it is like

I agree. I cannot change the big machine.

For the moment, I can change how I interract with it though. The world will be unchanged, but I will be happier in my place within it. I am doing this for me. I just telling my friends on the internet about it. :)

Example: My 3g phone won't work at the end of this month, as the network is being turned off. I haven't figured out yet whether I want to move 4g, or go without. Ranting won't get it turned back on, or make 4g/5g any more to my liking. I won't be attempting to convert everyone else to doing what I do... but I might let my friends know what I've done and why. Even if only so they don't panic when they can't get hold of me. I won't blindly conform just because everyone else is doing it either. Not if there's another option that I feel suits me better. By the same token I won't begrudge anyone else taking the well trodden path if they feel that's the best route for them. We'll still meet at the pub (metaphorically) no matter which route we take.

I must say, for a thread about someone saying their going on their own form of spending restraint this year, this has all gone rather heavy...

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I'm aware of the bigger issues, but honestly - besides going on a personal rant or just trying to support elected officials who don't seem so set on controlling our every step, there is little that the average Joe can do about Big Brother and their ultimate goal of having data points on every living being.

View attachment 1763908

Too fatalistic for me.

Enough little drops of water are enough to fill an ocean.

And what was it that one Pope once mentioned ... that one drop is enough to influence an entire pitcher?

I prefer to die only once if need be, but fighting for what's right. Eternity never forgets, and keeps perfect records. The bad people have their lists. And God has His. I'd rather be on the good side of the latter list.

Enough of the philosophical. I've got a sick dog to deal with after my last morning pipe.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I agree. I cannot change the big machine.

For the moment, I can change how I interract with it though. The world will be unchanged, but I will be happier in my place within it. I am doing this for me. I just telling my friends on the internet about it. :)

Example: My 3g phone won't work at the end of this month, as the network is being turned off. I haven't figured out yet whether I want to move 4g, or go without. Ranting won't get it turned back on, or make 4g/5g any more to my liking. I won't be attempting to convert everyone else to doing what I do... but I might let my friends know what I've done and why. Even if only so they don't panic when they can't get hold of me. I won't blindly conform just because everyone else is doing it either. Not if there's another option that I feel suits me better. By the same token I won't begrudge anyone else taking the well trodden path if they feel that's the best route for them. We'll still meet at the pub (metaphorically) no matter which route we take.

I must say, for a thread about someone saying their going on their own form of spending restraint this year, this has all gone rather heavy...

The cashless society detour can quickly become quite a serious subject.

You are right about one big thing. At the end of the analysis, you are ultimately only responsible for your own actions. Doing the right thing is rarely a bad decision. It's what is "right" that causes all the contemplations.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Doing the right thing is rarely a bad decision. It's what is "right" that causes all the contemplations.

Always a balancing act, and very rarely clear cut. Sometimes you have to settle for what feels mostly right, while striving to do the least amount of wrong to others.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If... And it's a BIG if!
Every single person (or at least a significant majority) were to conduct their lives as described, it WOULD make a difference.
But, I'm afraid that most folks don't care about it. For many, convenience at the cost of a loss of privacy is an acceptable trade. I don't blame anyone for feeling that way, it's just how it is.
I try to strike a balance between convenience and turning my private life over to the oligarchs. Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes not.

I've posted this pic elsewhere before, but it illustrates what I mean precisely.

Dn966nvU4AAzFNt.jpg

Wasting money and time picking up necessary stuff (drive back and forth), stuck in traffic......now that is insane!!!

Not wasting money in unnecessary stuff: I agree......, pay in cash: it's OK....... but driving, stuck in traffic, wasting money and time doing nothing......: absolutely NOT a good idea.....

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Wasting money and time picking up necessary stuff (drive back and forth), stuck in traffic......now that is insane!!!

Not wasting money in unnecessary stuff: I agree......, pay in cash: it's OK....... but driving, stuck in traffic, wasting money and time doing nothing......: absolutely NOT a good idea.....

For me, that choice is go for a walk or catch a bus/taxi (I don't drive due to health reasons), or be stuck at home all day, hoping a van will turn up.

Health permitting, I'd rather pick a nice day, and go for a walk.

I would like to do this to help lower overall spending, but for me it is impossible. Ubers and trains for travel are all electronic and now many restaurants and events are as well. As an example, the rink where the Toronto Maple Leafs play and all nearby restaurants owned by the parent company are 100% cashless. I was at Madison Square Garden in NYC last week and they are the same. Event tickets are electronic/CC only as well. Also booking travel, Amazon, etc.

sounds like a smart plan, but it would never work for many of us in practice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

To be honest, it's not exactly easy here.

There was (thankfully) a successful petition and appeal recently, overturning a plan to close all railway station ticket offices. That would have meant all rail journeys were digital only. I've had to walk out of a couple of shops and cafes because they wanted to go beep instead of ker-ching. You can buy single journey tickets and day passes for busses with cash, but weekly and monthly passes are now plastic cards, and I think you have to top those up (renew) digitally.

Oddly, the cost of living surge has helped a bit, as it boosted the popularity of envelope stuffing (or whatever it's called) for budgetting. Helped sell one of the virtues of cash for a while.

I haven't booked travel, accommodation, or events for quite some time. I know there will be some things that trip me up, and if they do, I'll update here. Same with any near misses or cunning workarounda too.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
For many, convenience at the cost of a loss of privacy is an acceptable trade.

You nailed it, Phil. I'll just add the word "freedom" to privacy. Privacy is a fundamental freedom in and of itself.

This tension between convenience & security, and freedom, has been going on for centuries.

The notorious despots and tyrants of history knew (and know) how to play that tension to seize power.

I'm just flabbergasted at how quick the past couple of generations have been willing to surrender the latter - for which so many gave their lives to attain and preserve - for just a little of the former.

And in the end, they may wind up with neither. I think Benjamin Franklin said it better and more completely, in fewer words.

I would like to do this to help lower overall spending, but for me it is impossible. Ubers and trains for travel are all electronic and now many restaurants and events are as well. As an example, the rink where the Toronto Maple Leafs play and all nearby restaurants owned by the parent company are 100% cashless. I was at Madison Square Garden in NYC last week and they are the same. Event tickets are electronic/CC only as well. Also booking travel, Amazon, etc.

Yep heading to the Hurricanes vs Nashville NHL game tomorrow night and it is all digital tickets. You cannot even get in with a paper ticket anymore.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm in. Guess I have to cancel Amazon music and Kindle unlimited.

Great idea.

Well that makes a grand total of two of us 🤣

I ditched Amazon some time ago, in respect of internet shopping. They were taking too many liberties. I never used them for Kindle or music though. Books and CDs will do me just fine.

Well that makes a grand total of two of us 🤣

I ditched Amazon some time ago, in respect of internet shopping. They were taking too many liberties. I never used them for Kindle or music though. Books and CDs will do me just fine.

I'm going to need to approach this gradually. I read many Kindle books. About one a week. Actually, I record them from text to speech. I could get way ahead in recording and cancel the kindle unlimited subscription for a while.

I have many audible books to listen to.

Top Bottom