What's new

1956 Serial Toggle Nickel Plated

It would be interesting to know if the date code on the earliest documented Serial toggle as noted on wiki by the owner and member KCB,if the A-3 code is under the plate or if his is even earlier.This would really be another game changer. His serial toggle is a complete and un used set and also interesting to do a trace of sorts on where some of these serial toggle came from like region,stores etc..I have a connection to the region written on copierguys warranty card and will describe my thoughts and the facts of what i know and can also trace the toggle i received as a gift for holiday from the same city/suburb.. forthcoming.... It will get interesting for sure!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I did notice that the city noted on the warranty card (Wawatosa, Wisconsin) is a suburb of Milwaukee--hardly backwater.

I did notice that the city noted on the warranty card (Wawatosa, Wisconsin) is a suburb of Milwaukee--hardly backwater.

Lol, the whole state of Wisconsin is a backwater. It's amazing they even have an NFL football team. (Sorry people of Wisconsin but its true (Guess what?! we don't have any members from Wisconsin - like I said backwater )).

Wikipedia lists Milwaukee as the 31st largest city with a population of 600,000. NYC has 8.5 Million. Madison is its second biggest city at 83rd biggest with a population of 250,000. On the east coast we have Philadelphia right next to NYC.

Please note I am not trying to insult the Great State of Wisconsin. I am just making the point that high priced razors in the suburbs of Milwaukee may not have sold in the 1950's as quickly as in other places.

Last edited:
Gotta ask, how does it shave?

Lol. I don't have it yet; it is in transit. But, it will have to take a very special occasion for me to get this one wet. Maybe when another one gets discovered. I don't know. Or, if we find some new and interesting fact about the A-3 Toggles then maybe.

You are correct again Texlaw, in fact that area was actually the heartbeat of America.suburb of Milw. no i am not kidding, there is a 3 hrs Pbs documentary on it to fact it. It was a booming place like no other in the late 1920's-through the 60's. Miller, Pabst, Les Paul,GM,American Motors, Briggs and Straton, Steel Capital of the world, massive shipping port,it was what Chicago wanted to be. There's much much more to it...

Last edited:
Lol, the whole state of Wisconsin is a backwater. It's amazing they even have an NFL football team. (Sorry people of Wisconsin but its true (Guess what?! we don't have any members from Wisconsin - like I said backwater )).

Wikipedia lists Milwaukee as the 31st largest city with a population of 600,000. NYC has 8.5 Million. Madison is its second biggest city at 83rd biggest with a population of 250,000. On the east coast we have Philadelphia right next to NYC.

Please note I am not trying to insult the Great State of Wisconsin. I am just making the point that high priced razors in the suburbs of Milwaukee may not have sold in the 1950's as quickly as in other places.

Yikes.. I did not think you were so off base like this. Please do some reading Glenn.. I understood that the Gillette serial toggle you won on e-bay last year came from Milw. I am correct, yes i am..? If your not trying to insult people and states, then don't use 'backwater' terms here on BB. Backwater is is not a professional term to be used here. I am sure the Cap would have not approved and had you walk the plank on this one... Glenn with all due respect, i see your Avitar is a Badger and thought you represented the state of Wisconsin as Wisconsin is the Badger state and the big ten team the UW badgers. We all live in various states such as yours Glenn that have far far more issues than WI, as we all know. I am not from Wis, but know many fine people there. As far as NFL Football Goes, You are surprised there is a NFL team there? They founded the game as we know it. Double Yikes..:w00t: I cannot believe what i a am Hearing..well then again.....Now on to Business and wet shaving passion and Toggles as what is to be conducted here..

Last edited:
Yikes.. I did not think you were so off base like this. Please do some reading Glenn.. I understood that the Gillette serial toggle you won on e-bay last year came from Milw. I am correct? If your not trying to insult then then don't talk using your backwater terms here on BB. Backwater is is not a professional term to be used here. We all live in states such as yours Glenn that have far far more issues than WI as we all know. I am not from Wis but, know many fine people there. As far as Football Goes, You are surprised there is a NFL team there? They founded the game as we know it. Double Yikes..:w00t: I cannot believe what i a am Hearing..well then again.....Now on to Business and wet shaving passion and Toggles as what is to be conducted here..

Sorry if I have offended you. I am sure there are many fine people in WI. You need not defend Wisconsin's honor to me. I know where WI stands (about 20th state in the nation). This does not alter the possibility that a razor made by Gillette in the third quarter of 1955 could have been on the shelf in a drug store in WI until June of 1956.

Last edited:
Hi,

Heck, I know some drug stores here in NC that have stuff from 1955.... ;)

I know even more of them in New York. State, that is. Once you get up into the mountains, it really gets to be backwater. Literally. When the beavers get going!

I had better go look in some of them!

I even know of some gold mining towns which were big in the 50s, which dropped from thousands of residents down to a few dozen in the late 60s. They might just have some 50s shaving stuff on their shelves still.

Oh, and you might as well use the Toggle, at least a little. After all how can you hurt it any more than it has been?

Stan

I sold it in that ludicrous auction, remember? Someone surely must still have the pics from it...

Wait, the video is still up

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in this thread, but thanks for not paying attention Glenn. :lol:

IIRC it was a year ago or so. 5K ... how could one forget that listing? :tongue_sm

Edgar this is a long thread and I think I am to be commended for paying as close attention to it as I have been. :lol: 5 large huh. Very impressive I won't forget now that has to be a record for a serial toggle.

I don't miss it.. That thing got me two 10/8+ sheffield straights plus the price of full on restos, and a lot more. It was basically a war chest I took with me to auctions. I was probably able to get the $ equivalent of 3x the sale price in value items. Selling it was miserable. I never had to deal with so many ebay morons as I had to in that listing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom