What's new

1956 Serial Toggle Nickel Plated

Congrats Glenn and Cap on another beautiful cleanup. It's risk takers like you that help us keep gaining more insight on these old razors.

On a side note, I have noticed that several of these serial toggles are missing a black ring on the handle. Mine has both, but one of them is split.

Cap, do you think these rings are identical to the ring on a regular fat boy? It seems very close to me. I feel like sacrificing a fat boy to make one of these whole again would be worth it. Sure it wouldn't be original, but I don't see any harm in it.

You know, it's hard to say...I've never had one of the rings on a fatboy come off. The later Fatboys don't even have em. I suppose they would be interchangeable though as the barrel is about the same size.

The best part about this thread (and B&B as a whole) is that we can all discuss matters and maintain our gentlemanly composure. You guys are a solid group of people who I would take pleasure in meeting in person and just sitting around BS'ing with. Thank you all for everything! Coming soon: the toggle with the exposed indicator spring!!!

Captain, Captain to the Bridge..Do i see a super rare Nickle F-4 toggle off the port bow? That will be another Epic thread..How cool!

Last edited:
I think the thread is already up, right Glenn?

Anyone interested; it is here. To some of the old timers this is probably getting to be ho hum. But I love getting to the bottom of a good mystery. When Cap touches a razor who knows what we will find out? What secrets are buried there...

Captain, Captain to the Bridge..Do i see a super rare Nickle F-4 toggle off the port bow? That will be another Epic thread..How cool!

Chips ahoy $banner-ChipsAhoy.png

A couple of things from a couple of pages back......

Glenn, the photo you referred to as from ad copy was actually the photo from the instructions booklet that came with the razor.

Secondly, the ad that somebody said ran in December of 1957 actually ran in December of 1959. That's a pretty huge difference, especially with regard to the discussion at hand.

This is ad from 1957 (showing blue acrylic case and $10 price of the D-1/F4 Toggle type)

View attachment 549563

This is the blow up I did from the 1957 ad photo (showing the A-3 Toggle)

$Blowup of 1957 Toggle Ad.jpg

Note the ad photo contains an A-3 and the artist renditions in the ad show a D-1. My theory is the D-1 had not been manufactured yet when the ad artwork was needed by the magazine and this is why an A-3 photo was used. Further even though Gillette went to great expense to advertise and launch the D-1 for Christmas 1957, they missed the launch.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2007/01/esquire200701

For the first time since Hayes had taken over the magazine, Esquire’s three-month lead time looked like it might become a liability. The January issue was at the printers, which meant that photos and text made inaccurate or tasteless by the assassination had to be literally blacked out of copies that hadn’t already shipped. It was too late, however, to remove Kennedy’s picture from the Dubious Achievement–themed montage cover. Worst of all, the magazine would not be able to weigh in on Kennedy’s death until 1964. Its coverage would have to be original.

Last edited:
"Use it! Use It!" I just got the razor in from Cap and she is beautiful!

Okay so I thought I would take her out for a spin before she gets consigned to the cabinet. I put a Gillette Blue blade (U-4) in it. I lathered up with some C.O. Bigelow and set it to "4" for the WTG pass. The razor worked flawlessly! The old carbon blade did require me to use short strokes. First pass was a success CCS with no blood. So I adjusted her down to "2.5" put a Kai blade in and went ATG. I got a very nice BBS. Finished up with some Arlington. Thank you so much Cap for resurrecting this fine razor.

$L1020826.jpg

Okay so I thought I would take her out for a spin before she gets consigned to the cabinet. I put a Gillette Blue blade (U-4) in it. I lathered up with some C.O. Bigelow and set it to "4" for the WTG pass. The razor worked flawlessly! The old carbon blade did require me to use short strokes. First pass was a success CCS with no blood. So I adjusted her down to "2.5" put a Kai blade in and went ATG. I got a very nice BBS. Finished up with some Arlington. Thank you so much Cap for resurrecting this fine razor.

View attachment 549820
Awesome! There's no way I wouldn't use it. It's too amazing to have and not use. That being said, now she can live her days out dry and cozy in the cabinet.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Shoot, yeah, you gotta use that baby! Being her out on special occasions! That's what they're for!

Hi,

All Right! Another successful shave. If the razor could talk, I bet it would be really happy right about now. :)

Stan

View attachment 549820

Congratulations!

Glenn,

Glad to see you were able to put CAPs work to good use. Sounds like it works quite well now. This was a great thread. Great restoration CAP!

I just had an idea. I still have the Gillette Red Tip that came in this lot that I haven't done anything with. I was thinking of a little PIF. Here is how it is going to work. The first person to give me the most correct answer by 2-20-2015 Midnight EST (in my opinion) will be awarded this Red Tip razor (I will include postage). What you have to do is tell me what eight razors are in the brown rack in this photo.

View attachment 549998$L1020827.jpg$L1020828.jpg

The Red Tip needs to be cleaned but is in ok condition; it is a B-3. But hey it is a FREE razor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
What a great and fun PIF, Glenn! I already have a couple of Red Tips that I am more than happy with, so I'll let someone else chime in.

I sent you a PM, just for fun - as I said I'm NOT in.

But I wonder how am I supposed to know what heads are paired with those SS handles. :tongue_smAnyway, I'm sure I guessed some of them at least ... :lol:

Top Bottom