What's new

34c/DE89 Audio Feedback

Just had a twin razor shave with my Merkur 34c with a new Rapira blade and a EJDE89 with a Nacet with a few shaves on it. 2 day growth and Arko soap. Switching from side to side and just playing really. The thing that struck was the sound from the Edwin Jagger which made a fabulously crisp cutting sound, whereas the Merkur was virtually silent.
I love both razors and sometimes get them both out to see how they get along on the same shave. The EJ seemed more aggressive, but still perfectly pleasant, but it was the sound of the eJ that got me. Huge difference. I don't think it was down to the blades either.

Interesting, it's been a while since I used it, but I don't remember hearing the EJ DE89 while shaving, then again, my wife keeps telling me how deaf I am!!! :w00t: :laugh:

Both razors have different design heads and so can't (shouldn't) be compared on a single attribute, especially audio feedback. I think it is a myth among folks here thinking that audio feedback somehow makes a razor better or worse than another. Personally, whenever I get too much audio feedback, I change the angle until I just barely hear it, and the reason is because the audio feedback is an indication that the blade is working too hard to slice the whiskers. One razor being silent only means that you probably dialed in to the proper angle and the other razor with audio feedback means that you probably need to dial in the proper angle. Try doing that the next time with your EJ. If you can get it as silent as your Merkur, I will bet that it will not feel as aggressive and you will get a better shave.

Just to be clear, i like the sound a lot. It's a pleasing, organic sound. But GVW755 makes a good point about the angle. I used the DE89 pretty much every day for 3 years, until recently, when i've used the 34c for a couple of months now, so i'm probably more tuned in to the Merkur, which i consider a sublimely well engineered tool. In fact i've come to the conclusion that it is impossible to nick myself with the 34c on either my face or head (i do both) and cannot believe how smoothe and idiot proof this thing is. Both are superb razors that i'm very happy to own.
I actually picked up a Muhle R41 between the two but it didn't work for me, though i'll give it another go at some point.

Both razors have different design heads and so can't (shouldn't) be compared on a single attribute, especially audio feedback. I think it is a myth among folks here thinking that audio feedback somehow makes a razor better or worse than another. Personally, whenever I get too much audio feedback, I change the angle until I just barely hear it, and the reason is because the audio feedback is an indication that the blade is working too hard to slice the whiskers. One razor being silent only means that you probably dialed in to the proper angle and the other razor with audio feedback means that you probably need to dial in the proper angle. Try doing that the next time with your EJ. If you can get it as silent as your Merkur, I will bet that it will not feel as aggressive and you will get a better shave.

+1000

For me I think audible feedback is blade related. Using my 34C every day for 1.5 years I find some blades give more feedback than others. Astra SP a little, Feathers almost none, Wilkinson is what I have loaded in now and it gives me a fair amount of feedback. I don't have a EJ anymore to compare but from what I remember it was the same case.

I've been using the EJ paired with Astra blades for months as a new wet shaver a few years ago and I don't remember hearing anything while shaving.

On the contrary, I remember others, like the Futur, which have quite an audio feedback.

Top Bottom