What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Well those are interesting stones and you might be right that due their rareness they might sometimes reach a higher selling amount...

On the other side if you see the synthethic side and the natural side its a very thin stone. I personally would always prefer a 2x5inch Thuri in a double layered quality in full thickness or other bigger thuringian stone.

To be precise, those are in the end more collectors based stones in my point of view.

A 5x2" two sided is a $350-450 stone. The ambicuts are about a cm thick and that's more than a lifetime of razor finishing. The only comparable thuris in price are 5x1 celebrated stones... Which are very rare in green. And try to find a LG thuri rubbing stone. The last one I saw was the famed $130 auction.

A 5x2" two sided is a $350-450 stone. The ambicuts are about a cm thick and that's more than a lifetime of razor finishing. The only comparable thuris in price are 5x1 celebrated stones... Which are very rare in green. And try to find a LG thuri rubbing stone. The last one I saw was the famed $130 auction.

Well the LG rubbing stone why should it cost 130usd ? Was that a full size stone or what ?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Well the LG rubbing stone why should it cost 130usd ? Was that a full size stone or what ?
No it was just a slurry stone. 1.5" long, 1" wide, and 3/4" Thick. They listed it as YG. No clue why it brought that much.

No it was just a slurry stone. 1.5" long, 1" wide, and 3/4" Thick. They listed it as YG. No clue why it brought that much.

Well dumb if someone pays that for a stone you can get for around 30usd. Dont think you can count that as "market prices" its plain sillyness then...ok havent seen probably it looked nice...

Wow those prices are crazy. I usually find them at flea markets for about 5 bucks. In fact if they ask 10 I'll ask if they'll take 5, and usually they will.

Yep, that's why there are more than a few folks who buy at flea markets and sell on eBay. Flea market vendors rarely know the value of sharpening stones (or razors or much of anything with a primarily online demand).

David

The only comparable thuris in price are 5x1 celebrated stones... Which are very rare in green
I never really thought about that, but you're right, almost all of the 5x1's I see are DB or gray. I only have one that's YG but its an odd size at 4 1/4 X 7/8. I always figured it was one of the big rubbers that you see with the 10" thuris.

I've seen two that I can remember in LG... And a handful in gray. Dozens in dark blue.

The 4" I've seen, on the other hand... Almost always gray. I think gray were usually considered DB... But once in awhile the very light ones got promoted to green.

David

IMG_9865.JPG
Here's a side view of two I'm talking about. The one on the left is two toned. I sanded the sawmarks down on the sides like a goon but the end saw marks are still there. I found the one on the right at the local antique store for 1 dollar. It was covered in oil but I was able to get it all out and it's perfectly usable now.

I've still never seen anything other than broken washita and worthless synths in antique shops and flea markets... In a decade of looking.

Oh and wildly overpriced ($50+) Arkansas penknife pieces. I actually bought a washita penknife piece for more than it was worth once because I was so happy to find a stone at least reasonable.

It's not like I find something every time I look, but Id say in the last 3 years I've found about half a dozen each of Belgian and Thuringian , and a couple of UK hones. I've not seen any vintage Arks except for a boxed Pike hard, pen knife size which I didn't buy, and now I wish I had.
Almost every household probably had a coti or thuri in it back in the day if there was a shaver there. One flea market I frequent has a vendor that specializes in knives, and I've bought several hones from him.
I actually haven't gone looking for hones for a while; I've got enough now to keep me busy for a while. I'm a user and a little bit of a hoarder, but I seem to use a Belgian hone more often than not. I need to branch out and try the Thuris an UK stones a little more.
Keep looking Ian, maybe you need to find a couple of different flea markets.

Yes. My job gets in the way of flea market treks, sadly. Hopefully I will be free to wander a bit more when I get too old to keep working the hours I do these days. Don't buy up all the good hones before then.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Good trip to the flea market. My $1 dollar paperweight turned into a YG Thuri. I new it was something when I found it but did not understand why one surface was darker than the other side. Lapped the surface and one side and found the layering. Now I have to find a matching rub stone. First picts are found condition and the last a little water to bring out the life.
The weekend is here, more hunting.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

David

Great find, Tim. I'm looking forward to seeing what you find this weekend. Good luck!

Good trip to the flea market. My $1 dollar paperweight turned into a YG Thuri. I new it was something when I found it but did not understand why one surface was darker than the other side. Lapped the surface and one side and found the layering. Now I have to find a matching rub stone. First picts are found condition and the last a little water to bring out the life.
The weekend is here, more hunting.

View attachment 785120

View attachment 785121

View attachment 785122

View attachment 785123

View attachment 785124

Sweet stone.

IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG
I sold off my Thüris before Christmas last year. I didn't use them enough and a little extra cash is always welcome.

Recently Ive realised what a mistanke it was so Ive bought a couple more.

Last edited:
Very nice. As regards the "gray" colored Thuris, as I recall, Peter said that those are most normally classified as "Light Green."

Top Bottom