What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Yes it is. I would like to visit one day.

$hohenzollern-castle-germany.jpg

The only stones I really regret letting go of are the two US branded thuris, or maybe synth thuris (so long ago I am not sure) and one ultra hard YG 4" Mueller thuri. Everything Else I've sold was so overlapped in my collection, I hardly miss it. Though a few other stones (cotis and Pierre) I have made some regrettable sales of. My first Ardennes stone was a size 10 bout of what I think was dressante... Like an inch of coti in a natural combo, asked for a skinny stone and it was a square so I sold it... Probably today worth twice or thrice what I paid to be honest

Here is a little bout I picked up a while ago. Produces a very comfy edge.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Wish I had more real estate on this stone, things might go a little faster.

Sometimes. A 5x2.5" with no labels went for over $300 last month. I saved the auction because I was so surprised. Two days before that ended I picked up a labeled 10x2" same color for only $70 more. eBay.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Did anyone happen to save the LG slurry stone that sold for 132 a couple years ago? I wish I'd saved that one, and the 4K Les Lat (la grise). Good times.

Sometimes. A 5x2.5" with no labels went for over $300 last month. I saved the auction because I was so surprised. Two days before that ended I picked up a labeled 10x2" same color for only $70 more. eBay.
Sheesh, I have a 12.5 inch thuringian, no label sadly, but the glue is still there I snagged for like 20 bucks as a gamble on ebay..although I could see the saw marks. Amazing how much faster honing goes, doesn't take long for the razor to travel a mile though either lol

-Dennis

Paid waaaaaay more than I like to for this piece, but these almost never come up and it was a gap in my collection. Always nice to get a stone that saw so little (no?) use that the original fat belly is still there.

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 89

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Score! Love me some Thuringian belly fat.

I knew you were on to one when you asked about them last week, but I couldn't find it.

Everyone please be warned. Fraudulent labeled Eschers have just appeared for the first time I've ever seen from a UK eBay seller. Labels can no longer be trusted. So far they're pretty poorly done and fairly obvious fakes to good eyes, but I'm sure the quality will improve with time.

And David, you already know, but I'm jealous I let that one go. I figured SOMEONE would bid it up at some point and with all the damage to it (not a huge deal with Thuri's but still), I didn't want to wind up spending $50-100 and then having to clean it up. Lucky for you. Congrats.

I've slowed my buying way down lately, but I did BIN another Ambicut. The most complete one I've seen. Box is intact with all labels and the folded paper directions. Really nice little kit. Ambicuts are really the value in Thuri's at the moment if you ask me. Yes, you have to make sure you don't get a synthetic back one (one sold for just under $50 a couple weeks ago... I was fighting over it for the complete box), but this one sat with a <$100 BIN with the DIRECTION SHEET saying that it was a "NATURAL HONE WHICH MUST BE KEPT FREE FROM GREASE" on the back. I'm amazed that a labeled, boxed, 2x5" LG thuri (with a rubbing stone) sits around at a $100 BIN $70 Bid for so long. I almost broke my finger clicking BIN so fast.

AMBICUT SRD BARBER STRAIGHT RAZOR KNIFE HONE IN WOOD BOX | eBay

Last edited:
Top Bottom