What's new

1000+ open blade shaves

I don't know if others enjoy this type of 'milestone' post or not, but when I was a beginner I always found these posts encouraging, so here it is.

This evening, I will have what is guaranteed to be at least my thousandth open blade shave (in actuality I probably already accomplished it, but I couldn't prove it). Let me explain. When I first started shaving with a real, old-school straight razor, I counted my shaves to check my progress. When I got to 250, I stopped counting. I shaved for a while thereafter without counting, I suspect maybe 30-40 more shaves, before I went back to DE for a while.

Later, I bought a Feather SS and started counting again. For some unknown reason, I just kept counting. At one point, I did over 270 shaves straight with the Feather SS.

Over time, I acquired more replaceable blade straight razors and started a rotation. I was going to stop counting but then somebody posted about their 600th shavette shave and I got the idea to keep counting for a while. Eventually, I decided to count until I got to a thousand, and then to stop, never to count again.

I recently acquired a Weck, and ordered some blades, which just came in yesterday evening, so, ironically, my 1000th open blade shave will also be my first with a new-to-me razor.

I love open-blade shaving and plan to continue it indefinitely. The pic, below, shows all my open blade razors. Top-to-bottom, they are as follows (each loaded up with a blade and ready to go):

Feather Custom
Kai Kasho Woody
Schick razor from Japan
Weck Sextoblade with clear red scales
Mythus Chinese Zamac razor with custom orange scales
Feather SR
Feather SS in lime green (the OG)
20231211_182039.jpg

Let me know if you have any questions about replaceable blade straight razors or about any of the specific razors in the pic.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's 1000 more than I have. I came close to buying a Feather Artist Club a decade ago but chicken out. The Lime Green was my first choice.

Maybe I'll take it up when I retire.

Nicely done.
I'm retired, so am without excuse.

Friend @kingfisher , I may be taking you up on your generous offer of advice. I will need it.

I like the idea of replaceable blade straight razor shaving because of the ease of "sharpening" the blade: I don't have to sharpen them! Just replace the dull blade.

Thank you for the inspiration my friend. And congrats on the milestone. It's so easy in life to forget where we have come from because we don't remember when we started the journey. I will need to do this in other areas of my life as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom