What's new

If you were given $1000....

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I wasn't aware Mr Tinsky worked with morta. I have two blocks of Morta on the shelf, but have never done anything with them. Maybe it's time to dust them off! A 311KS in bark would look pretty cool. Good idea.

I've noticed some of your pokers before, but after digging through your gallery on your site, I can see that you have made some with similar dimensions to the 311KS. Very cool!

I can only imagine how cool some of your designs would look if they were carved from morta. Have you ever used morta for any of your past pipes?

I've noticed some of your pokers before, but after digging through your gallery on your site, I can see that you have made some with similar dimensions to the 311KS. Very cool!

I can only imagine how cool some of your designs would look if they were carved from morta. Have you ever used morta for any of your past pipes?

Nope, never. Like I said in a previous post, I have only two blocks of morta. When I do get around to making something, I probably wouldn't sell it, as I've not yet had the opportunity to smoke a morta pipe. Have you? What do they smoke like?

I wasn't aware Mr Tinsky worked with morta. I have two blocks of Morta on the shelf, but have never done anything with them. Maybe it's time to dust them off! A 311KS in bark would look pretty cool. Good idea.
I cannot imagine the difficulty of carving your bark finish in morta. :scared:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nope, never. Like I said in a previous post, I have only two blocks of morta. When I do get around to making something, I probably wouldn't sell it, as I've not yet had the opportunity to smoke a morta pipe. Have you? What do they smoke like?

I've only smoked out of one of mine twice. Hirsute discovered that Esoterica Pembroke tasted great in a morta, so that what I've used both times. I found that delicate flavors come through a lot more in a morta. From what I've heard, morta doesn't need to rest in-between smokes and tobaccos don't really ghost morta pipes. Not to mention, it's cool knowing that it's a multiple thousand year old (generally) chunk of wood, and it just looks awesome. There are a few guys on here with plenty of smoking experience with morta. Hopefully, one of them will be able to chime in.

On Edit: This is from last year's Morta May thread:
Morta May

Last edited:
I find that morta is more of a neutral pipe, at least after the initial break in period (it can taste funky for a few bowls).

That said, I've also noticed that morta can randomly accentuate a certain aspect of a blend. I haven't really picked up any kind of pattern, but I haven't done any in depth experiments either. Some swear that morta makes Englishes taste better, while others will swear that it makes VaPers better. Just goes to show you that, as usual, there's no actual consensus on anything in the pipe community. :laugh:

Top Bottom