What's new

Why do you not use SE razor types, vintage or modern, that use GEM type blades in your current rotation?

While I often encounter GEM razors in the wild, they mostly seem to have been...rode hard and put up wet.

Yes, and there's the lack of variety in blade availability. But as I just added an AC Mongoose, and a PAL Injectomatic, a Feather injector, and two Schick injectors, I can't hardly rationalize the lack of variety in blade choice.

Perhaps the next time I see a nice GEM, reasonably priced, I will reconsider.

While I often encounter GEM razors in the wild, they mostly seem to have been...rode hard and put up wet.

Yes, and there's the lack of variety in blade availability. But as I just added an AC Mongoose, and a PAL Injectomatic, a Feather injector, and two Schick injectors, I can't hardly rationalize the lack of variety in blade choice.

Perhaps the next time I see a nice GEM, reasonably priced, I will reconsider.
AshleyC

I can see why DE users enjoy the many razor and blade options and choices available. It is said, variety is the spice of life. I read in this forum the joy many have, figuring out and then finding the different razor/blade combinations that work most for them. Different razor styles and blade types are ways to really enjoy the hobby and shaves.

This is how this SE user enjoys the hobby and shaving just as much. I only use SE’s. I only own three razors. I have no desire to get more. I use only one GEM type blade. One of the reasons I enjoy SE’s so, is because of limited razor and blade choices. For most vintage and modern SE users, the SS PTFE is the blade of choice. I see it as an all in one blade. It alone meets my shaving needs. With SE’s there are not hundreds of razors and blades to try until you find the best ones for your skin type. For me, too many choices are overwhelming. After the few years of trial and error finding the right razors and blades for me, I am pleased with my choices. No need to continue to add on or change. Been there. Done that.

Not having to focus so much time on figuring out which razors or blades to use, allows me to better learn about my skin, and focus more time on improving my technique so I can get better and better shaves.

Last edited:
The list of things I don't use is very long (endless almost).
Why not GEM ? I have already too much blade formats - DE, ½DE, AC, A77. I don't want to mess with one more. The GEM blade itself does not appeal to me. Too big. Why to waste material !
I don't actually understand why there is DE. Why two edges ?

So I just took a shave with a DE blade in my 1912 Gem razor. If anyone is interested in hearing the results, go to the link below. I didn't want to repeat myself. 😊

A Simple Gem Razor Hack? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/a-simple-gem-razor-hack.652624/
Saloogie

All I can say is wow. I enjoyed this video. I enjoyed your energy and enthusiasm. I would never have thought to use a DE blade in a GEM style SE razor. After watching I now get why DE users would use your hack. They can use the hundreds of blades they have grown accustomed to using.

As one who only uses SE’s, this hack is sacrilegious, but not in a negative way. If this hack brings others to enjoy the hobby, enjoy SE’s and enjoy their shaves, use this hack. It is a good idea and seems fun.

I would just say this. Those interested in the GEM style SE experience, enjoy the full experience. This would include using a GEM SE blade. Yes this means getting out of your comfort zone. Many enjoy using DE blades because of the variety of blades that can be used. Well, one of the main reasons I enjoy GEM style SE’s so, is because of the limited blade choices. Yes, at first they are scary looking. Yes, they are stiffer and do not flex. Yes, they provide a different feel. Yes, they can be difficult to find and yes they may be a little more expensive.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Gem may well be my favorite format.

I have a Blackland Sabre, an Atelier Durdan Vestige, and a vintage Ever-Ready 1912 that get regular use. I’m debating the purchase of a Wolfman WR3.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll never get rid of my DE razors, but, I love my Gems.

The list of things I don't use is very long (endless almost).
Why not GEM ? I have already too much blade formats - DE, ½DE, AC, A77. I don't want to mess with one more. The GEM blade itself does not appeal to me. Too big. Why to waste material !
I don't actually understand why there is DE. Why two edges ?
Halfbeard

I looked up A77. I have never heard of if before. I will see if I can find a YouTube video to watch. You listed many blade formats. Many do not use GEM blades like you. Many do use some of the other blade types you mentioned. That is clearly ok. It is personal preference.

Which type of razor and blade do you enjoy the most? Why?

1. Are they too big? They are big enough to fit into razors designed to use them.

2. Are they a waste of material? There is just enough material to make them, just like there is enough material to make all of the blade types you listed.

DE blade. Why two edges?
There are many, many companies that make razors that use them. They are a big business. There are millions of people who enjoy using them. They are easy to use. They are not very expensive.

While I have been intrigued and I prefer single edge razors, I have not tried a Gem-style razor for several reasons:

• The size leads me to believe that they would be difficult to shave under the nose
  • Underwhelming experience in using a "thicker blade" vintage Schick and new Supply injector razors/blades
  • The Leaf Twig works so well, and I can tune it by blade choice to my satisfaction
  • 2024 GRUYERE participant

Saloogie

All I can say is wow. I enjoyed this video. I enjoyed your energy and enthusiasm. I would never have thought to use a DE blade in a GEM style SE razor. After watching I now get why DE users would use your hack. They can use the hundreds of blades they have grown accustomed to using.

As one who only uses SE’s, this hack is sacrilegious, but not in a negative way. If this hack brings others to enjoy the hobby, enjoy SE’s and enjoy their shaves, use this hack. It is a good idea and seems fun.

I would just say this. Those interested in the GEM style SE experience, enjoy the full experience. This would include using a GEM SE blade. Yes this means getting out of your comfort zone. Many enjoy using DE blades because of the variety of blades that can be used. Well, one of the main reasons I enjoy GEM style SE’s so, is because of the limited blade choices. Yes, at first they are scary looking. Yes, they are stiffer and do not flex. Yes, they provide a different feel. Yes, they can be difficult to find and yes they may be a little more expensive.

Hey, I'm really glad you enjoyed that video. Yeah, I was pretty enthusiastic about this hack! Lol! I had pretty much the same reaction to it as you did - wow!

I think it opens up a lot of possibilities for the somewhat restricted Gem razor. I'd love to hear from guys who try it with all of the different DE blades we use. I used a Treet the first time around and it was comfortable and not real aggressive. Dare I try a Feather? I haven't fared to well with them in DE razors, but maybe they'll better for me in a Gem. We'll see.

Anyway, I hope you make some use of this hack!😊

While I have been intrigued and I prefer single edge razors, I have not tried a Gem-style razor for several reasons:

• The size leads me to believe that they would be difficult to shave under the nose
  • Underwhelming experience in using a "thicker blade" vintage Schick and new Supply injector razors/blades
  • The Leaf Twig works so well, and I can tune it by blade choice to my satisfaction
  • 2024 GRUYERE participant
Dodger59

I have used Ever Ready Vintage razors for the last two years. I have no issues with shaving under my nose. I have no issues shaving WTG and XTG. I do not shave under my nose ATG. I get BBS except ATG.

I find the GEM PTFE SS blades easy to load and easy to use. They are stiff and do not flex. They do not wiggle or move during the shave. If you choose to try this blade type, maybe watch some YouTube videos first. My first use was frightening. After the WTG pass the fear went away.

Some will tell you the first shave with this blade can be a little tuggy due to the thick coating. I don’t have that issue. I enjoy the first shave. With the second shave and beyond, the shaves are smooth and very comfortable. I get 3-5 shaves each blade. I am a daily shaver. When I shave I shave both face and head.

I have only used GEM style razors. I have no experience with Schick, Supply or the Leaf Twig SE razors. All of my experience is with vintage GEM/ Ever Ready razors.

Hey, I'm really glad you enjoyed that video. Yeah, I was pretty enthusiastic about this hack! Lol! I had pretty much the same reaction to it as you did - wow!

I think it opens up a lot of possibilities for the somewhat restricted Gem razor. I'd love to hear from guys who try it with all of the different DE blades we use. I used a Treet the first time around and it was comfortable and not real aggressive. Dare I try a Feather? I haven't fared to well with them in DE razors, but maybe they'll better for me in a Gem. We'll see.

Anyway, I hope you make some use of this hack!😊
Saloogie

I don’t think I will use the hack. I am very comfortable using GEM style blades.

I will continue to use GEM style blades with my vintage razors.

I hope those who use the hack enjoy their SE’s using DE blades. I cannot recommend this.

I can only recommend GEM style blades to be use in the razor types they are designed to be used with.

Saloogie

I don’t think I will use the hack. I am very comfortable using GEM style blades.

I will continue to use GEM style blades with my vintage razors.

I hope those who use the hack enjoy their SE’s using DE blades. I cannot recommend this.

I can only recommend GEM style blades to be use in the razor types they are designed to be used with.
I respect that.

I just got excited to try something different and to see if it works. It certainly does, but I'm not saying everyone has to do it. And in the end, I might just go back to Gem blades myself! Just having some fun with wet shaving, that's all.😊

Top Bottom