What's new

🪒 🪒 🪒 SOTD - “Vintage Shaving Gear Week” April 22nd-28th, 2024 🪒 🪒 🪒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, B&Bers!

For this SOTD Theme Week, let’s see your Vintage shaving gear! Show us your old Gillette, Schick and Rolls razors, your vintage soaps, blades, aftershaves/colognes, brushes, scuttles or anything else vintage that is shaving related!

This week‘s theme is easy… post pics of your old shaving stuff! If there is an interesting story around the acquisition of said gear, we’d love to hear about it.

If you don’t have anything themed, post pics of your usual SOTD or just tell us about it! Or maybe cheat a little and show a vintage watch or fragrance. Maybe a 1959 Gibson Les Paul? How about a bottle of 1961 Bordeaux or 1970 Vintage Port? Just have some fun with it!👍

As always, being creative and having fun IS mandatory but sticking with the theme is NOT mandatory but very strongly encouraged.

Let’s see your Vintage SOTD!

Menthol Monday SOTD
20240421_172624.jpg

Razor: Occam Full Open Comb
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (D1)
Brush: Oscar11 Aqua\White SOC Boar
Bowl: Doug Smith 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: PAA Ice Cube 2
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Eucalyptus & Spearmint
Shave Soap: Barrister & Mann Arctique
Butter: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Arctique

IMG_6585.jpeg

Monday, April 22, 2024

Pre-Shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle R89 Traditional Rosegold
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC Scuttle
Cream: Speick Shaving Cream
Alum: none
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Terre d'Hermes - Eau Intense Vetiver

This week started with a 2-pass (WTG) CCS featuring the Mühle R89 and a new GSB blade. An uneventful shave where all players performed admirably.

Speick's shaving cream lathers quick and requires only small amounts of cream. A few dashes of water for lather hydration is recommended. I am starting to enjoy the Mühle badger brush more with each shave. The bristles are getting softer while still having that typical badger scrub and the lathering performance is noticeably improving with each use.

A splash of Thayers witch hazel and Pinaud's Special Reserve completed this shave. Special Reserve is definitely more tolerable when decanted and macerated over a longer period of time. Hermes' TdH Eau Intense Vetiver provided Monday perfection.

Unfortunately I do not own any vintage shaving items but I consider a few things in today's setup to be "my own vintage companions". The brush is my first badger brush, and when I bought it I thought I might as well get the top end badger. It has accompanied me on my DE shaving journey ever since and will be with me for a much longer time. The Mühle R89 was my first ever DE razor, with that handle. The GSB was my first DE shaving blade, used in my first nervous attempts at DE shaving in the very same R89. My very first shave with a DE razor about half a year ago has been done with that exact configuration (razor, brush, and blade). Although, none of my setup could be considered to be vintage in any real sense of the term, I do consider these items as my companions and trusted tools which started my DE shaving journey, as such I hold them dear to my heart.

Have a great start of the week.

Mon 22
Soap PAA Al Fin
Brush Yaqi 24mm Cavern Lake
Razor Dorko 43 Near Wedge
Aftershave Clubman Cognac Neat
A good soap, brush, and splash combination results in a creamy slick lather and smells great!
This razor shaves like a dream...the edge is still silky smooth and keen...
20240422_115028.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1268.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777 Boar.
2) Italy: Shaving Soap Proraso White Tub.
3) USA: Razor Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech.
4) China: Razor Blade London Bridge Super Stainless.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Replenishing Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Classic.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, April 22nd 2024

Razor : Gem MicroMatic, Mfg 1930-41. Excellent mid range to upper mid range. Well made to last, this razor pulled Gem Mfg through the Dirty 1930's time period. Had a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Ogallala Bayrum sage and cedar, nice scented Bayrum with great lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Black marble" 24 3band silvertip badger. Excellent lather generator, luxury pillow like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. This brush has a nice large bloom when first cleaned and has still a large knot.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Ogallala Bayrum Sandalwood lotion cologne splash+ a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Micromatic with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD April 22 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Vintage Williams
Brush
Hoffritz
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Karve SB
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Beverly Hills, Polo Club
Rating
10/10
Comments
This is the second shave with the Karve SB razor and a Wizamet blade. Another close and smooth shave. The shave was excellent. The shave was smooth and close. Yesterday I used a a large, 28mm, synthetic brush made by Maggards. Today’s brush is the smallest and oldest brush I own: a Hoffritz. There is not much left to the puck of Williams. This was the 117th shave with the Williams soap. A perfect shave. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Monday Morning Bristle Eradication

My very first Valet razor. A run of the Mill VC2 that sat around in a box for years until I decided to take the SE plunge and order some GEM blades. I zipped off the two tabs on the inside of the keeper and despined a Gem blade and Voila - I was hooked.

Valet AutoStrop VC2 - Modified
Gem SS PTFE Blade (9X)
Barrister & Mann Le Grand Chypre
Frank Shaving G5 Black Knot
Citrus Musk Splash On

L T Piver Lotion Pompeia

C77C97E5-B04A-42B6-9762-8F731E9FF1CA-compressed.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom