What's new

🪒 🪒 🪒 SOTD - “Vintage Razor Week”! November 13-19, 2023 🪒 🪒 🪒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi B&Bers!

This Week’s SOTD Theme Week is all about Vintage Razors!

We want to see your Gillette, Schick, Edwin Jagger, Rolls, Merkur, Wilkinson, Dovo and other vintage razors this week. Single edge, straights, double edge, injector… all are acceptable as long as they are vintage... Let’s say pre-1980.

If you don’t have anything vintage, IMO you are missing out, but post a pic of your regular or favourite shaving setups. Or post pics of your usual SOTD or just tell us all about it. Let’s see lots of great images again this week!

As always, being creative and having fun IS mandatory but sticking with the theme is NOT mandatory but very strongly encouraged.

Let’s see your Vintage Razor themed shaving items!

Menthol Monday SOTD
arc.jpg

Razor: Ever-Ready Streamline
Blade: Gem PTFE SS (D1)
Brush: WildWestBrushworksw Romera 24mm Silvertip
Bowl: Doug Smith 5" Shaving Mug
Pre-Shave Scrub: PAA Iced Cube 2.0
Pre-Shave Balm: Vitos
Shave Soap: Barrister & Mann Arctique
Balm:Nancy Boy Cooling
Aftershave: Barrister & Mann Arctique

Last edited:
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Razor: Shield Predator
Blade: Gem Duridium

Lather: Shannon's Soaps A Saturday Afternoon in Columbus
Brush: Ever-Ready 100
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Fine Lather Bowl

Aftershave: Elysian Soap Shop Unscented Balm

Last but certainly not least, A Saturday Afternoon in Columbus. This was the release exclusively for the attendees of the 2023 Ohio Wet Shavers Meetup. And boy are they lucky. This soap smells great!

My initial impression was that it's a floral, but really though, it's more than that. It smells really nice but without being too feminine. In my opinion, it's more like a fun, modern floral fragrance.

After looking into the notes on this one it appears to be quite complex. There are...
Orange, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk, Ambroxan, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli.

The goal was "Spring in Ohio...". Something reminiscent of the intoxicating, sweet aroma from the flowers of the Black Locust tree. The end result is a sweet candy-like floral that I myself found rather intoxicating.

The Duridium blade in the Predator continues to shave me well. It may be a vintage blade but its edge is as sharp as ever. The Predator being titanium is light and nimble and the matte finish provides great grip.

Afterward, I reached for the outstanding Unscented Balm Elysian Soap Shop makes. I wanted to let the scent of the soap linger but still reap the benefits of a quality post-shave balm. The balm from Elysian spreads easily so a little goes a long way. It's non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and leaves a long-lasting positive feel that you'll notice for hours.

My plan paid off as I could still smell the soap for a good while after my shave. I guess you could say I wish I had a matching aftershave for this one but I did the best I could and got what I wanted.

If you get the chance to attend the next meetup I highly suggest you do. Shannon's Soap Shop makes some really great shaving soaps and it shows with the three exclusive meetup soaps I've had the pleasure of reviewing. If you can't make it to one (like myself) well then just go pick up some of Shannon's software anyway. Her gear is highly underrated.

That's all for this one. Thanks for reading and enjoy your shaves.

Razor: Black Beauty (Post Vintage so a modern day Gillette Adjustable ;) )
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue Old (1)
Brush: Zenith Manchurian
Preshave: PAA The Cube
Soap: Meštar Bagulina
Aftershave: Ralon Original Splash, Meštar Bagulina Balm

(If this is too long for your reading you can skip of course or even if it was shorter you can always skip, this is just my thoughts after a shave :001_smile)

I have not used the Black beauty (post vintage per the SOTD guidelines, modern Gillette adjustable :001_smile ) in quite a while, it was a very enjoyable shave.

The Gillette Silver Blue Old (I call them old as they are the older version of the GSB's and yes I am sure there are older) but these blades continue to impress me. Sharp, (not the sharpest meaning not like a feather sharp) but like a really comfortable level of sharpness with excellent, superb smoothness. These are outstanding blades! I have really enjoyed them quite a bit, like quite a bit, can't say nothing but good things about them. So much so I might need to get more and I have plenty of blades overall just because I find them that enjoyable.

The Zenith Manchurian, very good brush, really happy with it, love the handle, height, grip, width, lenght, nice scrub, good backbone, really happy with it.

PAA The Cube, always gets the job done well.

Meštar Bagulina a favorite soap of mine for me as I have it dialed in, works like a charm everytime, can overlather with it, which I enjoy and just gives me a great shave with great postshave feel.

Ralon Original Splash, again, does a great job for me and I find it enjoyable, same with the Meštar Bagulina Post shave balm, works great.

Very happy with shave overall.

20231112_202034.jpg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_8433.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777 Boar.
2) Germany: Shaving Cream Nivea Men Sensitive Shaving Cream.
3) China: Razor King C Gillette.
4) Egypt: Razor Blade Crown Super Stainless.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Classic.
8) USA: Lather Bowl Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl.
9) Australia: Deodorant Nivea Men Black and White Max Protection.

Mon 13
Soap & Aftershave Phoenix & Beau Spitfire
Brush Yaqi 24mm Freedom
Razor & Blade Gillette Red Tip A3 & SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum
A lovely lather & scent from this soap and matching splash.
This superb vintage razor paired with the rarely used blade proved to be excellent. Smooth comfortable and quite efficient. Enjoyed 3passes for a bbs-dfs finish...
20231113_121112.jpg

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleanser
Soap/Cream
Martin de Candre
Brush
Uomo da Vinci Silvertip #293
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL***
Blade
Personna Medical Prep Blade
Aftershave
Thayers WH & AoS AS Gel
Fragrance
Mont Blanc
Rating
10/10
Comments
Starting the week off with a different razor and blade: the Henson AL*** and a Personna Medical Prep blade. The MdC jar of soap is on its 283rd shave. The soap is getting thin on the bottom but I still have some shaves left with it. Today’s brush is the smaller brother of the Uomo da Vinci brushes that I own: the #293. It does a nice job. A perfect BBS shave. Have a great day and week, folks.

Monday
Pre-shave: Hims High Tide Hydrating Cleanser /Cremo Coconut-Mango Shave Cream
Razor: Gillette Short Comb New
Blade: Treet Dura Sharp
Brush: Maseto Two-Band
Soap: C.O. Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
Aftershave: Alum/Lucky Tiger After Shave & Face Tonic/Stirling Unscented ASL
Balm: Neutrogena Hydro Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom