What's new

Vintage April, 2024

I am 100% vintage in April, but since Fool's Day have enjoyed few shaves and put up fewer posts on B&B.

IMG_6173.jpeg
I had a couple fast pre-ski shaves with this Schick I Hydro-magic. Ski days start fast and last late for me.

I might have gotten an AutoStrop shave in a day ago, but I spent my shave time slot looking for the particular Type C that I have loaded with a vintage blade.

So today I finally got with the program and visited old New York.

IMG_6167.jpeg

>Gem Damaskeene SE (marked with a 1902 patent date and 'New York')
>modern Gem PTFE blade on shave 8
>Thistle Cutlery Co 5/8 SR, New York USA
>Wester Bros., New York, "Booster" strop of imported Russian shell (horse butt)
>Ever-Ready 55 horsehair brush
>Williams Mug soap, found in a vintage store resting in an old pewter shave soap cup. The outline of the Mug was still visible, so this puck had seen minimal use. Now that the caked dirt and grit is washed away, it displays a lovely tallow color but no Williams scent remains.
>Burma Shave mug for loading
>Osage Rub splash

A much needed shave. Man, that felt (and feels) good.

My tip to vintage fans: the Waits Compendium is available as a PDF at a very reasonable price.

Date09.04.2024
366 daily shaves
100/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette New ImprovedLord Cool (2)Abe’s Brush Works Blutt STF
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (82)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)6/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
7/10
(DFS)
6.5/10 (Harshishly comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Good and close shave with a fantastic razor and brush.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

9 April

British Gillette Goodwill • GSB
BBS Soaps 221B • RazoRock Plissoft brush
IMG_20240409_063218311_HDR.jpg

If I'm ever trapped on a desert island with an unlimited supply of blades (I have scenarios in my head where this might happen) this is the one razor I hope to have with me.

Better by a distance than any other Gillette I've used (not that I pretend to have tried them all!), this always produces something approaching shaving nirvana. How can it produce results so much closer, smoother and more satisfying than other similar razors? I've no idea. Sheer alchemy!

20240409_110450.jpeg

Today's razor needs no further introduction.☺️ What a great piece of functional art the Toggle is.

Two passes on setting 6 wtg and 4 atg returned my skin into polished marble condition. This thing loaded with a BIC Chrome Platinum shaves really excellent. I'd use it more often but I always fear to drop it in my early morning shaves. There's no life before coffee - but gravitation, however, is 🙈
So basically that’s more of a razor dedicated for a Sunday shave - or if I have a day off from work, just like today.

Enjoy your vintage April shaves, Gents👍

Vintage April the 9th
My favourite non adjustable TTO, the Gillette, made in England, silver flare tip.
Bit more blade feel with this one compared to some of the Techs I’ve been using but always delivers a fantastic shave. Loaded with a Nacet on shave #3 this just scythed through the stubble.
Slight post shave irritation but nothing serious. Gone after 30 minutes and a splash of Thayer’s witch hazel.
A superb result from this absolute classic.

IMG_6955.jpeg

I kept looking at a Goodwill head with no handle and a lonely common bar handle sitting in my draw. Today the convinced me to just put them together and they didn't disappoint. 3 pass BBS without a single weeper. Supporting characters were an Astra sp, Opal Boar and Captains Choice soap.
View attachment 1826113

I found a Goodwill locally, and used it for the first time last week and posted here.

I was very surprised by the efficiency of the razor...great, close shave with little effort.

Top Bottom