never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Saturday 20240406
Vintage April 2024
20240404_083757~2.jpg

Razor: Barbasol Floating Head
Blade: Feather (3 shaves, 7 passes)
Brush: Rudy Vey Marbled Butterscotch (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud

Same kit as Thursday and Friday. Same outstanding performance and results. The Barbasol Floating Head razor reminds me a lot of the Mühle 2013 R41. In some ways, I like it more.

Another superb 2-Pass shave!

I picked up this “Gold Razor” in a shop yesterday. It’s a ’50 Aristocrat. I have a coworker that wants to buy his dad a gold razor so I thought I’d get it, give it a try this morning, and if it didn’t work well I’d sell it to him. I got a comfortable, DFS+ with it. (Sorry Rich, it’s a keeper.)😉

IMG_5678.jpeg

Razor: Kampfe Bros. Star HR-9A Lather Catcher
Blade: Pal Carbon Steel Gem-type blade
Brush: Shavemac Model 82 Blue & Gold Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Grafton
Aftershave: Truefitt and Hill Grafton Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20240406_083215.jpg

Razor:54 Flair Tip
Blade: Astra Platinum
Soap: Catie’s Bubbles Pine Barrens
Brush: Vikings Blade Synthetic Badger
Frag: Versace Eros Flame

Another great shave with a blade I thought I did not like. It’s not as sharp as I like, but it could just be the razor combo. My lather was a struggle today but I got it there.

IMG_0321.jpeg

Last edited:
💈 SOTD: 7-4-24
Soap: Grooming Dept Amare
As: Grooming Dept Amare
Razor: Schick repeater C2 '33-'45
Blade: Modern Schick injector
Brush: Pachamama

Perhaps one of my finest schick razors, this C2 repeater is loaded with a modern schick blade a very smooth combination. In the box next to the brush is another NOS repeater cardridge with a number of blades that could be loaded into the razor like a magazine, and by pulling a slide back and pushing it back again you pushed a new blade into the head. Hand loaded the modern blade and as already mentioned this is a very fine combination, you barely feel the blade but after three passes you still have a BBS result.

The scent and preformance of the Grooming Department soap is very good, very fine quality and a very nice scent.

The pachamama brush is a surprise, brush lies very nicely in the hand and the knot is very pleasant, soft yet a pleasant backbone. And a very happy addition to my collection.

eZy Watermark_07-04-2024_08-29-18-0790PM.jpeg

Went to an Automotive swap meet at Stafford Motor Speedway this morning and found this beauty. Was drawn to a cardboard boc with a purse and Christmas lights sticking out of it at the back of a spot and low and behold, an all black, dirty little razor was calling my name. Got home and gave it a quick soak and a toothpaste scrub and out popped a 1920's silver Tuckaway with no cracks in the handle and what appears to be an Old Type base plate. Will have to keep my eyes out for the correct plate, but I am still happy with my $2 find and will be taking it for a spin after tonight's shower.
1712521002272.png
1712521013197.png
1712521026307.png

The past couple of days I haven’t posted, but I had been back to my early post war tech. Today I pulled out another family razor, the Schick Krona which my father in law had. When I returned to traditional wet shaving in early 2020 this was the only DE razor I had (until I rediscovered my wife’s superspeed). It feels a lot like my Tech, and I get a similar shave. With a freshly sharpened blade I got a 9.85. Shave # 510 on my Feather. (This razor possibly doesn’t make the cut. From other threads, it appears the style was produced from 1968-1977.)

Been a bit busy and late getting started on April shaves. Two nights ago I used my Slim Adjustable 1962 H2 date code for the first time and got a very good shave on setting 5. It didn't leave my skin warm like the Canadian Tech did the first few times I used it so I feel like I got the angle right. ATG was smooth and close as well.

I'm terrible at taking pics and my bathroom isn't very photogenic. So here's a terribly terrible pic right after the shave and before I had cleaned up.

IMG_2858.jpeg

Date08.04.2024
366 daily shaves
099/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Super Speed 1975Lord Cool (1)Abe’s Brush Works Smokey Bandit
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (81)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
7/10 (Nick)6/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
7/10
(DFS)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Effective start of the week with this birth year razor. I did step on the gas too much on my right cheek and had to pay for my ignorance.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

8 April

Hermes "Best" • Perma-Sharp
Ariana & Evans Lurch & Fester • Yaqi Rainbow
IMG_20240408_093732315_HDR.jpg

Before Merkur was Merkur...

A pre-WWI Hermes "Best" (pat. 1911). The first DE razor produced by Emil Hermes before the company started using the Merkur brand name in around 1916. Interestingly it has a flat baseplate anticipating the Gillette New Improved by a decade or so.

For the blade I went back to the Perma-Sharp that impressed me yesterday (as tempting as the Hermes "Best" blade was!). In truth it's not the smoothest or most comfortable shave in the world and I'd say it's a deal more aggressive than the early Gillettes. But with care I managed a good, close shave out of it without any major mishaps. And it is very, very shiny 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_095200868.jpg
    IMG_20240408_095200868.jpg
    756.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240408_094911966_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240408_094911966_HDR.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom