Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Long Rifle Brown Bess Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm

Late post of Sunday morning shave rated (9/10) using:
  • Razor: Birth year 1961 G2 Gillette Slim
  • Blade: vintage English Wilkinson Sword (2)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: none
  • Soap: Arko! (IYKYK)
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240407_112006925.jpg
I am visiting my Mom, and this shave was not up to my normal standard, probably because I shaved outside the shower and my prep wasn't as good as usual. Too much time passed between finishing my shower and starting the shave. I also probably failed to hydrate the lather enough. The shave was plenty smooth and comfortable; it just wasn't particularly close, only BBS-/DFS+.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Tuesday morning vintage April shave rated (10/10) using:
  • Razor: 1931 Probak 3-piece
  • Blade: vintage English Wilkinson Sword (3)
  • Brush: Razorock 400 Silver Noir Plissoft (my favorite)
  • Pre-shave: none
  • Soap: Arko! (IYKYK)
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240409_144128573.jpg
Even though I still shaved at the sink while visiting my Mom, today's shave was excellent. I hydrated the lather more, and was able to shave much sooner after finishing my shower. So, my beard was better prepared. The Probak is easily my best performing open comb razor overall. Some of my others shave more efficiently, but the performance of this razor strikes exactly the right balance for me between comfort and efficiency.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

💈 SOTD: 9-4-24

Soap: Nordic Shaving Birch
Ash: Nordic Shaving Birch
Razor: Gillette Contract Tech
Blade: Nos Vintage London Bridge
Brush: Omega Badger

This Tech where my love for this type of Gillette began, and this may not be the prettiest, but certainly the most special, I got it as a bonus from a shaving friend from whom I bought a fatboy, the fatboy has long gone been sold, but the Tech is still there, that's saying something. Today's shave felt exactly like that first shave with this Tech , comfortable yet efficient, certainly these first models are the more efficient tech's after this they became milder but certainly no less fine.

The vintage london bridge blade with now 4 shaves on it, remains pleasantly slightly less smooth as the vintage wilkinson blade but certainly no less efficient.

eZy Watermark_09-04-2024_09-14-29-7470PM.jpeg

Big Ben (Souplex) / Kai / Brito lime / Seaforth Sea ice lime / Gabel's menthol lime - Excellent as always, similar feel to an ABC old type imo. For some unknown reason the Big Ben branded head with solid handle feels just a tad more comfortable/refined than the Souplex. I need to do some measuring today but I think I've figured out a minute difference between the two heads teeth.
20240409_153423.jpg

Attachments

• 20231002_231809.jpg
    20231002_231809.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 5
Date10.04.2024
366 daily shaves
101/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Flat Bottom TechLord Cool (3)Abe’s Brush Works Big Oak G5C
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (83)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
7.5/10
(DFS)
6.5/10 (Harshishly comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Marginally better than yesterday in end result, but I had a wonderful time using this Tech.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

10 April

Gibbs Réglable • Feather
A&E Absinthe-Minded • Yaqi Ocean brush
IMG_20240410_064044098.jpg

The story of how Pierre Thibaud and partners started importing soap and toothpaste from the venerable London soapmaker D&W Gibbs and ended up building a separate and highly innovative French brand is really worth checking out.

For today's shave - and an entry into Adjustable April at the same time - I paired this with an adapted Feather. Set reasonably high at 5 for the first pass and 4 thereafter I managed a thoroughly decent, comfortable shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday 20240409
Vintage April 2024
20240407_140902~2.jpg

Razor: Swing DE (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Feather (3 shaves, 6 passes)
Brush: Rudy Vey Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Canada Shave Soap
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Another superb 2-Pass shave. The Swing DE is an outstanding vintage DE razor!

Wednesday the 10th of Vintage April….

Made in the USA Gillette , new long comb I think, 20,s/30,s? Kent pure badger brush,
Gillette Nacet blade and some very local to me , Hampshire Wool Fat soap….tallow and lanolin based with a pleasant, mild fragrance. Made by a lady just over the water from me in small quantities (I’m an Islander)….It’s tremendously good indeed.
Don’t use this razor that much…perhaps I should use it more as I had an excellent shave with it this morning.
Higher irritation level than my usual choices but acceptable and a DFS. Not a daily driver for me and perhaps best used with a few days growth to get rid of. I shave daily so might explain why it’s not a regular in the routine. Nice looking razor and no cracks in the handle.
IMG_6958.jpeg

Still very distracted. On Monday I shaved with my 1902 Star (Kampfe Bros.) New Model. The Gem PTFE blade was assisted by my DIY AARP Shim card. (The photo shows the whole set, I didn’t use the original blades for this shave.) The blade was on its 13th shave, and the razor is a little difficult in the chin area without a fresh blade, so there were a couple of small scrapes.
Yesterday (Tuesday) I gave my chin a rest by returning to my mild mannered Early Postwar Tech.

IMG_2241.jpeg

Top Bottom