What's new

ROCCAsolid, brotherhood for lovers of the Mühle Rocca

sotd 17-3

For today's shave, I put the razor a bit flatter to the face, I think you call it a steeper angle? Anyhow, there is an increase in comfort noticeable, while it certainly still shaves like crazy. Perhaps the "mixed" feelings I got from the Rocca were just user errors ;-) Never too old to learn, will keep trying to play around with the right angle for me.

Mühle - Rocca R96
Gillette - 7 O'clock Super Stainless (4)
Frank Shaving - Pur-tech
Stirling - Naked & Smooth
Pitralon - Classic AS
Balea - Men Sensitive ASB

full

IMG_6368.jpeg

Monday, March 18, 2024

Pre-Shave: Kiehl's Age Defender Exfoliating Cleanser / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: PAA - Coconut & Oud (sample)
Alum: none
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve (decant)
EdP: Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Nice 2-pass WTG DFS for Mühle Monday with the Rocca.

I completely agree with @bartje-p that the Rocca requires a steeper angle to really perform. I hold it almost parallel to my face at around 80 to 90 degrees. It's interesting though that the manual which Mühle adds to the Rocca still mentions a 30 degree angle when the Rocca doesn't really cut any whiskers at that inclination. The good thing is that the Rocca provides a very distinctive audio feedback when shaving, and once you can hear that singing blade you'll know it's doing its job.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with an adjusted angle; I'm quite sure that you'll have a Eureka moment once you pinpoint that particular angle which works best for you.

I completely agree with @bartje-p that the Rocca requires a steeper angle to really perform. I hold it almost parallel to my face at around 80 to 90 degrees. It's interesting though that the manual which Mühle adds to the Rocca still mentions a 30 degree angle when the Rocca doesn't really cut any whiskers at that inclination.
That's funny, I think the Rocca certainly cuts at a shallower angle (like 30-40 degrees), but loses a lot of it's comfort. I have more redness if I use a shallower angle. Today used the Rocca again (2 days in a row) at a steep angle, no problems at all, very comfortable, even with the blade on it's 5th use. So certainly steep angle shaving for me with my Rocca!

Last edited:
Today, I did a comparison with the Rocca and the GC84. I hate to say it (in this topic ;-) ), but the Rocca is too much for my skin. I get the same result with the GC, but in a more comfortable way. So I will sell my Rocca. Hate to say it, because I think it is one of the most beautiful razors I have ever owned...... sigh..... But not a perfect match for my beard and skin unfortunately

Today, I did a comparison with the Rocca and the GC84. I hate to say it (in this topic ;-) ), but the Rocca is too much for my skin. I get the same result with the GC, but in a more comfortable way. So I will sell my Rocca. Hate to say it, because I think it is one of the most beautiful razors I have ever owned...... sigh..... But not a perfect match for my beard and skin unfortunately

I do understand your decision to move on to razors which are more comfortable. As much as I love my Rocca I have found that not every blade is a suitable match and that blades which are not as smooth tend to cause discomfort to the point of irritation. I'll still hold on to mine, but with the realization in mind that some blades are a no-no for me in that razor.

With all that being said, thank you for starting this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed all your posts about your Rocca experience and will dearly miss seeing your Rocca setups and shaving experiences in this brotherhood. Rest assured that this thread will be kept alive in the spirit you intended, and hopefully you'll drop in from time to time. 🍻

IMG_6404.jpeg

Rocca Friday

Blade: Wizamet (2...and done)
Soap: Mühle Grapefruit & Mint
A/S: 4711
EdT: Bleu de Chanel

Tried an ATG pass for my second pass today. WTG x 2 just doesn't give me very good results. Everything went smooth except one tiny weeper on the neck. The Rocca performed great today.

Today's lather was really divine. I soaked the brush for longer than usual and added a bit more water to the soap and had this lovely yogurt consistency. Since this Mühle puck is now paper thin, and translucent in the middle, it gets a bit harder to lather having to chase it around the scuttle. I think it'll be its last performance and will be replaced by a Mühle Sandalwood puck for the next scheduled appearance of a Mühle soap. It's kind of hard to throw it out; I have become quite attached to it.

Wishing you all a great weekend.

I couldn't help myself, there is just something that is drawing me towards this razor. So gave it another try today. And now I know why I have a love / hate relationship with this razor. Today was nothing but love (again) :)

sotd 24-3

Mühle - Rocca R96
Wilkinson Sword - New Chromium Edge vintage (4)
Simpson - Trafalgar T3
Stirling - Sheep
Tabac - Original AS

20240324.jpg

Date25.03.2024
366 daily shaves
085/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Shark Chrome (1)Mühle Rocca Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (66)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Some red spots)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. A very exceptional start of the week with probably one of my best razors.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

IMG_6438.jpeg

Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Soap: Grooming Department - Sandalwood, Fig, Musk (sample)
A/S: 4711 Original Eau De Cologne
EdP: Creed - Himalaya

An amazing BBS today with the Rocca and a new Wizamet. Couldn't be happier with the experience.

sotd 30-3

Can't praise these blades enough. Go well in every razor I have, and perform well from the first use, which I cannot say for all blades! And this soap, next to the Sheep, is also a must have if you like scentless / neutral soaps. Not in the photo unfortunately, but the soap was too good not to make a post about it '-)

Conclusion: excellent shave this morning.

PS: switched the RR GC with the Rocca just before the shave, so it is not in the photo.

Mühle - Rocca R96
Personna - Comfort coated (3)
Mühle - STF size M
Stirling - Naked & Smooth
Tabac - Original AS

full

IMG_6469.jpeg

Mühle Monday, April 1, 2024

Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (2...and done)
Soap: PAA - Coconut & Oud (Sample)
A/S: Murphy & McNeil - Magh Tured Aftershave Balm
EdP: Creed - Royal Oud Millesime

Great performance of the Rocca today with an easy BBS shave. I haven't even tried for BBS...I just shaved. I'm getting to know this razor a bit better now and it still surprises me how effortless it shaves. I don't have much comparative experience, but I dare say that the Rocca is probably one of the best modern DE razors out there.

As the owner of a Rocca, I have been eyeing this thread for a while and now I want to take the step of coming out as a fan of the Mühle Rocca. The Rocca regularly accompanies me on my travels, together with a fantastic travel set from Mühle. Today the Rocca with a Perma-Sharp blade gave me a wonderful DFS++ in record time with two passes. The Rocca always gives me joy and is a highlight of my razor cycle.

IMG_9320.jpg

Top Bottom