What's new

March 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

HSOTD 3.7.24
IMG_1527.jpeg

Shield Adjustable DE Razor
Personna blade
Frank Shaving G7 brush
Goodfellas Smile Shibusa 2 soap
So smooth

This is my first use of VIBR and I don’t think I like it. The scent in the bottle is great but once I splash it on my face I get a chemical smell almost like rubber. That part stays with me only for a little bit and then disappears but the initial blast is off putting. Not sure if I will keep using it.
Decant into a glass bottle to improve it. That works at least with Clubman which also comes in a plastic bottle.

Day 8, in

Razor: Rockwell 6S (4)
Blade: Personna Comfort Coated (1)
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2 Best
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Bowl
Preshave: GLYCE
Soap: Crowne & Crane Frenchman St
Balm: Crowne & Crane Frenchman St

IMG_1954.jpeg

First BBS I’ve had in a while. Not sure if it was the plate on the razor or the blade… either way, it was a fabulous shave. 1st time using the blade.

Make it a great day!

Day 8, 25.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Bulldog Handle, Astra SP #8
Razor: GC.84 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

I tried using dual Game Changers again. The open comb makes a very close job of WTG. The safety bar with a fresh blade is ideal for XTG, ATG and tidying up.

Using both seems over the top, but it's an easy way to get a near-BBS with minimal irritation.

If RazoRock made a hybrid .84 baseplate, I'd buy one.

First BBS I’ve had in a while. Not sure if it was the plate on the razor or the blade… either way, it was a fabulous shave. 1st time using the blade.

R4 and R5 seem to be the winning plates here.

Is the Personna Comfort Coated a current blade, or vintage? I tried a vintage one, and was unconvinced...

Last edited:
Day 8, 25.8% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Bulldog Handle, Astra SP #8
Razor: GC.84 SB, Ti Handle, Astra SP #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

I tried using dual Game Changers for a change. The open comb makes a very close job of WTG. The safety bar with a fresh blade is ideal for XTG, ATG and tidying up.

Using both seems over the top, but it's an easy way to get a near-BBS with minimal irritation.

If RazoRock made a hybrid .84 baseplate, I'd buy one.

R4 and R5 seem to be the winning plates here.

Is the Personna Comfort Coated a current blade, or vintage? I tried a vintage one, and was unconvinced...
I have went through all the plates before and I agree with you. R4 seems to be my favorite. The blade is current production and my first time using it. I’m impressed but, will have to see what the mileage is.

Date09.03.2024
366 daily shaves
069/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomSputnik (2)Omega Boar 81052
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (50)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)8/10
(Some red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10
(BBS-)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. Very nice Saturday shave. There are better combo’s between razor and blade. As I like the razor, I’ll put it on the blade.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom