What's new

March 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in - CCS
Krona, Timor (7), Figaro Special Edition, Mühle 19mm STF, Aqua Velva AS
96E0FDC0-5FF0-4929-BB67-3BC1EDFFCF4A.jpeg

Date07.03.2024
366 daily shaves
067/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Tech (US prewar)Gillette Silver Blue (7)Omega Proraso
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (48)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10
(BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Still in with absolutely no cravings other than to use my gear as much as I can!

Summary. Splendid Tech shave today with more than great results - rather excellent actually.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Day 7, still going

Razor: Rockwell 6S (2)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (5)
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2 Best
Bowl: Captains Choice Copper Bowl
Soap: Crowne & Crane Cherry Ho
Balm: Nivea

IMG_1950.jpeg

Mediocre shave this morning. I don’t think the blade is performing as well, and the fact that I’m still fatigued probably has something to do with it. I missed a lot of stubble but, it will do since I’m just resting today. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones!

Make it a great day!

A few hours before the start of the March GRUME.

I hadn't let go of the idea for a while. Having already spent some time with the somewhat sharper ROCCA and having also enjoyed a cheaply purchased Merkur Progress, I was now confident enough to take the next step. I was ready for a combination of history and modern, high-end production art created out of love.

So on February 29, 2024, I went in search of a Rex Ambassador XL and found what I was looking for. My last order from February arrived today. 😁 Unfortunately, I now need a suitable travel bag and a stand. :facep:

But until now I am still GRUMEing! 💪

So far I really like the Ambassador, but I still have a lot to learn. The first shave today was on 3 (WTG) and 1 (ATG) and was very smooth with the result of a CCS. If you like the Rocca, you will probably not find this razor too aggressive. But this was only the first shave with this razor so far and I will report back on how our relationship develops.

IMG_9151.jpeg

• Preshave Procedure: Shower
  • Preshave Cream: Proraso White (Sensitive)
  • Razor: Rex Ambassador XL
  • Blade: Gilette Perma-Sharp
  • Brush: Mühle Sophist Silvertip Badger
  • Shaving Cream: Speick Gentle Shave
  • After Shave: Speick After Shave Balsam Sensitiv
Have a great Friday and a nice weekend everybody!

You may not know this, because I didn't enlist, but I'm stil in 🙏🏽
In GRUYERE, that is.

Hardly any urge, but that must be because I am now completely focussed on getting my knees prepared to walk the last 100 km to Compostela with my boys in september next year.
Many years of serious overweight and severe knee arthritis ruined my knees, but after losing 50 kilo with a keto diet, I am trying everything to avoid surgery and get ready.

As far as shaving goes: I shave my beard every other day with the Phoenix Prismatic. Few know it, but I looooove this razor. Efficiency is exceptional as is ease of use. Highly recommended.

Every week I shave my scalp, trying a different razor. Funny thing is the Dorco Prime Platinum is my usual blade these days. I hate the silly moustache on the tuck, but to avoid getting irritated by it, I simply removed the top carton.
This way I can enjoy it better and the blades deserve that. Very, very good blade.

Enjoy, brethren ✌🏽

Hey Guys
I'm still GRUMEing but no shave today.
My day started off with this in mind, however I found myself with a couple meetings cancelled in succession so...

Shave #6
- Still In -

• Declaration Grooming's Sunrise on La Salle* - SOTM, FFFMM, GRUYERE
  • Semogue's Spanish Shaver's Limited Mistura #15/50*
  • Gold Dollar 208 - 6/8
  • RR GC.84P*
  • Lord Super Chrome*
  • Stirling's Glastonbury Splash

* - Denotes FFFMM elements

You may not know this, because I didn't enlist, but I'm stil in 🙏🏽
In GRUYERE, that is.
I have absolutely no idea how that happened… :whistling:

And I am glad you still are. Super cool you are undertaking your quest together with your siblings. Inspiring at least!

I need to loose some weight myself. My eight pack is long gone, but carrying my belts just for show isn’t the place to be either.

Cheers mate,

Guido

IMG_6327.jpeg

Still in.

Friday, March 8, 2024

Pre-shave: Warm water splash / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless (2...and done)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, G5 synthetic knot
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: House of Mammoth - Almond Leather (sample)
Alum: Osma
A/S: Boss - The Scent Aftershave Balm
EdP: Boss - The Scent Intense

Second shave with the incredibly sharp Suneko blade in the Rocca. I skipped the exfoliating cleanser today. I figured that the Sunk blade and the Arno brush would do enough exfoliating. I was able to achieve a 2 pass BBS (WTG,ATG, not XTG today), but at what price?

My face feels like flayed, though I don't see any strong redness or razor bumps, and much less than the first time with this blade. I get the suspicion that the Suneko is better suited in a mild razor than in a more aggressive one such as the Rocca. I will continue to try this blade out, next time in the much milder R89. Other than the slight burning in the face there weren't any nicks or weepers today.

The Arno brush continues to amaze producing large amounts of lather in a very short amount of time. HOM's Almond & Leather soap is another favorite of mine besides HOM Indigo. Thick, creamy consistence and a pleasant scent.

Today's shave was completed with Osma Alum block, which provided quite some feedback and Boss' The Scent A/S balm matched with Boss The Scent EdP.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Day 7, 22.6% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive Stick, made into a puck
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Bulldog Handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Proraso Sensitive Balm

I used the Palmolive again after warming it and tamping it down flat, and it was a lot easier to load.

Tried the original handle I got with the Game Changer (RazoRock Bulldog). It was fine for mowing everything down WTG, but not as agile ATG as the Windrose aluminium and titanium ones. The result was near-BBS.

Proraso Balm trial week is good so far.

Date08.03.2024
366 daily shaves
068/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackbird SS SBSputnik (1)Razorock Big Bruce
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (49)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.75/10 (Significantly Consistent)9/10
(Minor red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9.25/10
(BBS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Summary. Superb shave with all players working in unison.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom