What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks for the answer. I think I will keep it on a shelf since it's never used and it is fascinating that somerhing from 1948 haven't been used. It is also an excuse to try and find a vintage gilette for use, when I get the funds to do it.

Don't know why this stuff is so fascinating :)
Sure. Yes, it's like finding treasure. It's marvelous to think about how it has survived!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
proxy.php

How common is it for a Bulldog to actually say "Bull-Dog" on it? I have three of them and don't see that on any of them.

From what I read here on the forums only the Canadian Bulldogs actually say "BULL-DOG" on the barrel, Paul.

Thanks Manuel
The groove is not dirt, it's a scratch. Can not remove. A machine that has been used a lot in the past will always have some marks - to me, this is very romantic.

Looks like they tried to make it a two piece, does that groove hold the bottom knob in place when you remove the cap?

Picked up a couple of Superspeeds yesterday at a not-so-local antique store. A B4 1956 Blue Tip, and a W3 1951 Black Tip, both with aluminum handles. Both were pretty cruddy, and have cleaned up pretty nice.

Of particular interest is the Black Tip, which I believe, is one of the elusive "Tan Tips." From the info I've garnered on this forum, these were the result of a miscolored batch of knobs received from an external vendor, and back in the era in which these were made, since the only thing wrong was the color, they were used, instead of thrown out. This decision makes sense to me, since Gillette had opted on aluminum or steel handles for this line of razors, as brass was either too hard to come by, or too expensive (or both), so, it wouldn't make sense to waste money throwing out an entire batch of knobs because they weren't the right color. Brand new, I suppose my knob was the lighter tan color, but over time, it has aged and darkened into the nice amber color you see in the pictures, much like an authentic butterscotch brush handle.

How rare are these Tan Tips or Brown Tips? I would expect that several thousand were made, but just how common are they today? Yes, I guess I'd like to think that I have something quite rare and valuable, but the monetary value is secondary to me, as I haven't been collecting these to sell.

I'll be glad when Fatboy February is over, so I can try these out!
The first pic is before I cleaned them up - yes, the razors are in my wife's new to her vintage Pyrex baking dish!!
IMG_20170218_204604.jpg IMG_20170219_140935.jpg IMG_20170219_141101.jpg IMG_20170219_141051.jpg

IMG_0986.PNG
This 1960 beauty is in the mail as we speak, has reached Customs by now in my home country.

So it won't be long now, can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it will arrive in time for me to participate in Fatboy February :a14:

View attachment 762850 This 1960 beauty is in the mail as we speak, has reached Customs by now in my home country.

So it won't be long now, can't wait to try it out. Hopefully it will arrive in time for me to participate in Fatboy February :a14:
That's a nice looking Fatboy! I've got a '59, E3, but it doesn't look anywhere near that nice. Waiting on something to arrive in the mail is the worst, especially nowadays when you can track it every step of the way!

I was fortunate enough to locate this un-issued Ball-End Gillette Contract Tech. The cardboard box has twenty-five cents marked on the side, so I suspect that it may have been purchased from the ship's on-board store or from the unit's quartermaster for that price. A nice piece of history regardless of how it survived. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Attachments

• Gillette Contract Tech Box and Case Unissued.JPG
    Gillette Contract Tech Box and Case Unissued.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Gillette Contract Tech Contents.JPG
    Gillette Contract Tech Contents.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Contract Tech Razor Pieces.JPG
    Contract Tech Razor Pieces.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 14
I was fortunate enough to locate this un-issued Ball-End Gillette Contract Tech. The cardboard box has twenty-five cents marked on the side, so I suspect that it may have been purchased from the ship's on-board store or from the unit's quartermaster for that price. A nice piece of history regardless of how it survived. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

That looks sweet!! Nice find!!

Top Bottom