What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

Haha we just missed it Ian...iam looking forward to the pics of the one you addedd the link. It looks very interesting....

But you know others also do miss things sometimes ;-)

Three layers Barbers Delight Size in 6x2x1inch...lovely piece...

proxy.php

And another Dual Layered one:
proxy.php

Turned out to not be a Thuri. It's actually probably one of these stones like eKretz has here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...enne-Show-off-your-rock?p=7177850#post7177850

Has that exact tiger stripe pattern throughout. Really easy to see in the green, but continues uninterrupted into the purple. Laps just like a BBW, lots of very purple slurry/mud comes off.

This is it before lapping. It's even easier to see now. Very sparkly too. I swear I've had stones like it before, but I can't remember for sure... just seems really familiar.

Oh and the green patch? It's the green orbs we find on Vosgiennes, Welsh slates, etc... just a HUGE blob of it. There's a couple smaller "normal sized" orbs on the other sides.

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 142

Legion

Staff member
So I have been giving some time to my mottled black.

I never really gave it a good try out when I bought it, as I was knee deep in coticules, and it kind of got pushed to the side. I actually offered to sell it a couple of times, but I am kind of glad I didn't now.

It is barber hone sized, and works very well for that purpose. 15 or so laps with just water really seems to refresh an edge rather well. And it is about as simple as it gets.

proxy.php

Nice stone, did you get it from Peter? I've never seen mottled blacks in anything other than the longer thin cuts (1x5" and the like) except his stones.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
In the wild I have found coti's and ark's, but now I have found my first Escher. A boxed and labeled stone with slurry stone measuring 6 x 1 1/4. It has a green tint to it and it's slurry. Both labels are in German, so I assume its old school. I was told it came from the sellers grandfather who used them on his SR. It will get a lapping and a test drive soon. A nice addition to my rock pile.

$IMG_0413.jpg

$IMG_0414.jpg

$IMG_0415.jpg

$IMG_0416.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
You are on a ROLL with these wild finds! Congrats!

It's the Snowbirds who pick all summer who bring the loot to Florida. We then exchange there tribute for my fist full of singles so they can buy Grouper sandwiches and rumrunners. I will hit a drought in the summer if the estate sales are bad.

Someone remind me of the other REALLY old looking branded Thuri from Germany with the cool box with a mountain or castle scene on it, please? I think it was Hoff-something or Holle-something?

I really wish I had bought that one. I knew where it was because that was the one I was looking for awhile. Never did find one. Yours was a great example too.

Top Bottom