What's new

better than O-Rings for de-floppy-izing brushes!

a couple of days ago I started a thread about using O-Rings to cure the floppiness of the 2006 B&B LE. This thread sprang from earlier threads about using O-Rings to tighten up badger knots.

A couple of members wondered about the O-rings' straining & stressing the knots; there were concerns about whether the knots would adequately dry with O-rings in place. After using one of my brushes and leaving it to dry with the O-ring in place, I removed the ring one day later - and the knot was still wet. The wet/dry line was visible. And, honestly, stretching & fighting with the O-Ring to get it in place was a PITA.

Well - here's a better way: a velcro wrap. (This gets weirder and weirder, doesn't it?) Marketed under the name Velcro One-Wrap these little velcro strips are used to gather & control cables & wires (like colorful little twist-ties).

Trimmed appropriately, they will dress up and control your unsightly brush floppiness! [One caution - the colors will run, so unless you're looking for a day-glo badger knot, I'd suggest washing & rinsing the strips before use.]

BEFORE:
proxy.php

AFTER:
proxy.php

Goofy looking things, aren't they?

hahahaahha... and they work!!!!!

One can control the stiffness, flop, etc of the knot by using strips of varying widths... and did I mention they come in a variety of attactive [bright] colors?

The adjustable shaving brush is here.

D

doleeo

The adjustable shaving brush is here.

While your idea is very creative, (I wish I would have done this to my SMF III), check out the Shavemac "Moss" Variable loft brush. It's pretty cool, and works very well.

Very available too, apparently.

Re: "Why not get the loft you want?"-- For those of us on a budget this is a good way to experiment, to find out what loft works best. With time and experience I've found my preferences tend towards very scrubby.

- Chris

While your idea is very creative, (I wish I would have done this to my SMF III), check out the Shavemac "Moss" Variable loft brush. It's pretty cool, and works very well.

I will check that out!

my problem is how to tame the floppies already in stock - an SMF III among 'em! (What a great(er) brush that is with a little more backbone!)

Stopped by my local Radio Shack (on my walk) and they were out. I did see where they'd be hanging if they were in stock though. :smile:

It's not adjustable, other than by the number of wraps. You also run the risk of damaging the bristles while putting it on and pulling it off.

Good point , I never thought of that.

I have floppy old pure badger , maybe i'll try this.

Jon, are you aiming to be the Dr. Frankenstein of shaving in your retirement?

"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world...of floppy brushes"

Seriously, though, I love it! I used one of these yesterday on my big floppy badger...the thing's normally a mop. It took about 3/8" loft away, and, for the first time, I was able to use my very supple, luxurious silvertip in a bowl of hard soap. The results were fantastic.

Thanks for the tip!

Jon, are you aiming to be the Dr. Frankenstein of shaving in your retirement?

"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world...of floppy brushes"

Seriously, though, I love it! I used one of these yesterday on my big floppy badger...the thing's normally a mop. It took about 3/8" loft away, and, for the first time, I was able to use my very supple, luxurious silvertip in a bowl of hard soap. The results were fantastic.

Thanks for the tip!

Journal of Dr. Viktor Bythbook - Monday March 8, 2010 -

"...Alone in my labor-a-tor-y, working the dim glow of LED, I have succeeded in the most incredible endeavor of human history - using only those tools granted by god and crafted by human ingenuity... I have... grafted the head of a Merkur slant double edge razor onto the tail of a living badger... I have created SHAVING LIFE.... My subject awakens as I write... I must attend to him; he likely will be slightly confused and perhaps ang... [journal entry ends here]."​

"...Alone in my labor-a-tor-y, working the dim glow of LED, I have succeeded in the most incredible endeavor of human history - using only those tools granted by god and crafted by human ingenuity... I have... grafted the head of a Merkur slant double edge razor onto the tail of a living badger... I have created SHAVING LIFE.... My subject awakens as I write... I must attend to him; he likely will be slightly confused and perhaps ang... [journal entry ends here]."​

Good Times :lol::lol::lol:

Most excellent.

I found some Stanley brand straps at my local hardware. They're in more subdued colors for people who would prefer that:

proxy.php

- Chris

Top Bottom