What's new

Slant Razor...Wow!

Tried my new RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor with a UFO handle for the first time today. Used a Perma-Sharp blade. Wow. I could have stopped at WTG + XTG and had the best shave of my young career, but it was going so well that I did an ATG pass and ended up with a BBS shave everywhere on my face.

This is remarkable for me, since my problem area has always been my neck. I would either end up with lots of stubble on my neck, or suffer irritation from trying to get it off. Some kind soul on this site recommended a slant razor for sensitive necks, so I decided to try it and I must echo that recommendation. Thank you!

Tried my new RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor with a UFO handle for the first time today. Used a Perma-Sharp blade. Wow. I could have stopped at WTG + XTG and had the best shave of my young career, but it was going so well that I did an ATG pass and ended up with a BBS shave everywhere on my face.

This is remarkable for me, since my problem area has always been my neck. I would either end up with lots of stubble on my neck, or suffer irritation from trying to get it off. Some kind soul on this site recommended a slant razor for sensitive necks, so I decided to try it and I must echo that recommendation. Thank you!
Happy that worked out for you - lots of knowledge on this site. It's saved my poor tail many a time.

I have a Parker Semi-Slant that is very mild and a REX Konsul Adjustable slant. Alas, I've switched almost exclusively to SE razors. Razorock makes great affordable razors. I have a Hawk V3A and it's just a machine at removing stubble.

Happy shaves !!

Slant razors do indeed tend to be an excellent combination of easy comfort and efficiency. Glad you found a razor that hits the spot for you.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Hello @Barley, you might curse me soon, but if you like the Merkur inspired Razorock slant, the Wunderbar and their Superslants are their very own brainchild and love project of Razorock and I am dead serious: They are even better.

The Wunderbar will cause no irritation, it will just amputate a limb if it cuts. <- exaggeration of course, but this is how it feels. You barely feel it, unless you cut yourself.

The Superslant is their follow-up design and shaves a bit differently, but it is available in various gap and aggression levels, from L1 to L3 with + and ++ and OC or SB, quite a lot of plates...

I might now have planted a bug in your mind, but recently I was forced to name my favorite razor, I of course picked two, and one of them was the Superslant L3++ OC.

Hello @Barley, you might curse me soon, but if you like the Merkur inspired Razorock slant, the Wunderbar and their Superslants are their very own brainchild and love project of Razorock and I am dead serious: They are even better.

The Wunderbar will cause no irritation, it will just amputate a limb if it cuts. <- exaggeration of course, but this is how it feels. You barely feel it, unless you cut yourself.

The Superslant is their follow-up design and shaves a bit differently, but it is available in various gap and aggression levels, from L1 to L3 with + and ++ and OC or SB, quite a lot of plates...

I might now have planted a bug in your mind, but recently I was forced to name my favorite razor, I of course picked two, and one of them was the Superslant L3++ OC.
No curses forthcoming :). Thank you for the information! As you probably figured out, I went with the least costly option to try it out. I'm sure there will come a time when I'll want to further optimize my experience and outcomes.

After several more shaves with my RR German 37 Slant, I have a few more observations to share:

1. I get much better results by aligning the blade with the CAP, resulting in an equal amount of blade exposure across the blade (in other words, when I look at the blade from the top, I see the same amount of blade sticking out from under the cap across the whole width of the razor).

2. Blades matter! Some blades were too aggressive (e.g., Feather), some are downright painful (e.g., Big Ben), and others are heavenly (e.g., Perma-Sharp, Minora). Interestingly, the Minora was a poor performer in my Henson AL-13 ++ Medium.

3. The slant is my go-to when I have over 2 days growth.

4. Slants are so SATISFYING in how they slice through the whiskers, and in the sound they make in doing so.

After several more shaves with my RR German 37 Slant, I have a few more observations to share:

1. I get much better results by aligning the blade with the CAP, resulting in an equal amount of blade exposure across the blade (in other words, when I look at the blade from the top, I see the same amount of blade sticking out from under the cap across the whole width of the razor).

2. Blades matter! Some blades were too aggressive (e.g., Feather), some are downright painful (e.g., Big Ben), and others are heavenly (e.g., Perma-Sharp, Minora). Interestingly, the Minora was a poor performer in my Henson AL-13 ++ Medium.

3. The slant is my go-to when I have over 2 days growth.

4. Slants are so SATISFYING in how they slice through the whiskers, and in the sound they make in doing so.
Slants are great. Sounds like you found a winner.

Big Ben blades are the only one I’ve ever removed after my first pass. It was horrible. Never again.

I went with the least costly option to try it out.
Are you sure :) as there are modern versions of the vintage Fasan-inspired plastic slants called the Monster Slant series at $27 each. I have the Filament (not shown) and the El Fantasma and both are great shavers, each with a little different personality.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.55.10 PM.png

Top Bottom