What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

I do not think it is so simple and automatic to make comparisons with different razors .
only by changing the handle and weight of the same razor could the game change.
not just the gaps or the heads that make the difference.
I think I know how to shave but I get irritated with a merkur 34 and not with a Future on setting 3,5 with a 2-day beard.
for the same reason I sold a Rocnel Sailor because I didn't get the same results as with the Future
Same about the muramasa adj.

Shaving is truly something personal and mysterious many times .

Something on the price …
the owners of fatip seem to be the homeless of shaving because we are used to seeing set ups of brush / razor and soap for 1k € and over
Until a few years ago the high end steel razors had prices around 150 €.
Today € 150 is considered to be in the medium-low range.
and many do not want to admit that they have wasted their money (I'm not afraid to say I did) insisting on saying that they have bought a fantastic razor which then ends up on the bst market.
in conclusion: I’m for free price in free market, there is space for everyone and lucky they are not medicin but it is not the Fatips who are cheap but the others who often exploit the euphoria of the market.

My OC Nickel Grande arrived today after being lost in transit!
Nothing special in terms of what I already have since my Gunmetal finish OC Grande is the same thing.
But I wanted the Nickel because the finish is supposed to last longer.
And I like the look of the nickel finish!
The OC Grande OC (as I've said before) is my favorite so far so it makes sense to have it since I'll be using it a lot.
It's funny that this one comes in a sort of plain little box. All the other ones have come in a nicer and bigger box.
This is the cheapest of the Fatip's so maybe that's why. Incredibly It's under $20 but it looks and feels like a much more expensive razor!

full

full

Nothing special in terms of what I already have since my Gunmetal finish OC Grande is the same thing.
The OC Grande OC (as I've said before) is my favorite so far so it makes sense to have it since I'll be using it a lot.
It's funny that this one comes in a sort of plain little box. All the other ones have come in a nicer and bigger box.
This is the cheapest of the Fatip's so maybe that's why. Incredibly It's under $20 but it looks and feels like a much more expensive razor!

full

full
It's a great –the best imho– shaving machine. I'm sure you'll like it! As stated in a previous post, this one makes you feel good about being one of the 'homeless' in the wet shaving community ;-)

More on the homeless-issue: I have a >US$200 OUMO brush (Exceed Vitality, 5th gen synthetic) but I kind of prefer my Omega Jade (Boar)...

full

full

Oh, I hope you enjoy that. I have that same razor (Grande Nickel) and of my Fatips: slant, piccolo and grande, the nickel grande is my favorite. I got lucky as it has the best blade alignment out of all mine. Load the blade with the cap upside-down, tighten the handle down and it's perfect every time - no fiddling required and the icing on the cake, it shaves almost as well as my Wolfman. Enjoy!

edit: After years of regular use, the nickel plating on mine still looks great.

Last edited:
Heads up for anyone interested. Maggards has the Special Edition Piccolo on sale today for
$23.99!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Here she is she already been on her maiden shave. Really happy I got this wee razor she shaves like a light sabre to me its just slightly more efficient than my piccolo. Thanks to Shaving Station i orderd the safety bar by mistake 1 email and everything was sorted out in minutes. I wonder what Fatip razor ill go for next im thinking maybe a Grande.
20220722_190851.jpg

Here she is she already been on her maiden shave. Really happy I got this wee razor she shaves like a light sabre to me its just slightly more efficient than my piccolo. Thanks to Shaving Station i orderd the safety bar by mistake 1 email and everything was sorted out in minutes. I wonder what Fatip razor ill go for next im thinking maybe a Grande.
View attachment 1492287
Beautiful!
I think my slant experience hasn't been great because of the Piccolo handles light weight. You probably got more efficiency with this one because of the increased weight of the Lo Storto handle. I want to see the difference of weight/size between that Lo Storto and the Grande. I've already been using the Grande but today my Lo Storto closed comb slant arrives so I'll be able to compare the two. Hopefully I get a better experience vs. the OC Piccolo Slant.

So I shaved tonight with the Gold Lo Storto slant Closed comb.
I was extremely surprised since my OC slant shaves haven't been the best.
It was my favorite shave compared to the other Fatip heads.
I believe that this is the sweet spot Fatip (for me)
I had my usual daily 2 pass WTG/XTG shave and it was great.
This has been the only Fatip where the blade aligns perfectly on the first try. The posts somehow seem to have the proper diameter where the blade just hugs the posts.
This is an excellent razor!

So right now, this is the order of what heads I've liked most:

#1 Closed comb slant (super smooth and efficient enough. Much more efficient than the closed comb classic)
#2 OC Classic (semi smooth and very efficient)
#3 Closed comb classic (extremely smooth but lacks some efficiency)
#4 OC slant (This one gets the #4 spot just because it's one of the 4 available heads. But I honestly don't like it! Good efficiency but a rough shaver for me) Note: I've already tried multiple blades and assure that they are perfectly aligned every time and I get the same result!

Favorite order of handles:

#1 Grande (perfect weight & perfect diameter that gives the best balance for the whole razor)
#2 il Grosso
#3 Storto
#4 Piccolo

Order in terms of weight differences of handles:
-The il Grosso is really heavy (it's a solid handle)
-The Grande would be the next heaviest
-The Lo Sorto (medium-weight)
-The Piccolo (lightest)

So that's my comparison!
For me the perfect Fatip would be the closed comb slant with a Grande handle (they don't make this combo).
And unfortunately Fatip doesn't sell separate parts. At some point I'll probably just buy a Gold Grande OC just to use the handle on the closed comb slant. I see it as the only way!
As always, YMMV!
LRod

Another thing that amazes me for the price you pay you get a solid brass razor which if looked after you can pass down to your kids. Or am I wrong here 🤔
You're definitely right!
As long as you take care of it, I don't see why it wouldn't last a really long time.
After all the razors (money spent) I've bought, I landed on Fatip really late. I wish I would've discovered them early on.
They're not perfect but the price can't be beat for what you get!

Top Bottom