What's new

Fatip razor (pros & cons)

The video was good but I'd also love to see a comparison between the SB slant and the SB non slant. (I couldn't find one!)
Those two would be more of an equal competition. The expectation between OC and SB is that usually the OC is going to be more efficient & aggressive.
So I got motivated by the video in wanting to compare the SB slant & SB non slant and ordered the La Storto Gold closed comb slant!
Might as well since it would be the last Fatip head for me to try. My goal was to try them all anyways. Whichever I don't like will be sold so in the end it's all good.;)

Well, I placed an order for the Fatip il Grosso OC in Gold!
This will be Fatip #5 and I think I'll stop there (for now). The only other head to try is the closed comb slant but I really have no interest in that one.
I guess I'll be a guinea pig for this one since barely no information exists for this razor.
The size & weight + the supposed head "improvements" are what got me interested.
I surprisingly sold a razor today and those funds fully covered this purchase:)
I bought it at Fendrihan and apparently it was the last one because it went out of stock as soon as I bought it.
$34.99 and free shipping starts at $35 🤣
I threw in a tuck of Nacets (which I've never tried) for $1.99 so that got me free shipping plus something that I'll actually use.
Fendrihan's like 45 minutes from me so it should arrive pretty quick. This is my first time ever buying from them!
I'll post the day it arrives and a shave report then!

View attachment 1489263
I'm really interested in how this one will work out! I started with the Piccolo SE but after some time the handle just felt too thin for comfort so I then got a Wood and a Grande. The Grande is what I use virtually all the time as it is a shorter that the Wood and I prefer the warmer nickel colour over the colder chrome. I wouldn't mind the extra weight of a full handle over the hollow Grande though (Pitty details, I admit...).

Hi Guido,

I have to say that I am completely stumped on this one. I keep buying Fatip razors and then ultimately selling them because of the irritation problem. My best guess is that I don't use the proper angle with the Fatip razors. Shaving angle is something that I purposely ignore - when I have tried to adjust it from what for me is the "natural angle" of the razor I usually wind up cutting myself. With other aggressive razors like the R41, Yaqi Aggressive Slant, Blackland Dart, etc. I think I just naturally find the right angle. With Fatip razors maybe that just doesn't happen.

But I'll probably wind up buying and trying a Fatip again at some point in the future.
And now, I have gone out and bought another Fatip, this time a gold Il Grosso. I purchased it at Gifts & Care, a Spanish company (giftsandcare.com). Their prices and service are very good, and you can use a coupon code, GANDC15 for a discount.

@LRod @couch_potato @Guido75 there is a vid of a YouTuber doing comparison shave between the fatip open comb slant and the closed comb slant interesting vid, the YouTubers channel is 'double y'

Let us know your thoughts if you watch it
LOL, I watched this guy couple times but never paid attention to YT channel name 😁
Seems as good guy. Be careful when watching comparison videos and YT shavers:
- focus on ones with similar technique as yours
- check if beard growth, pattern is similar as yours
- keep grain of doubt if he keeps a shave-shop, that wise all razors works great 🤗
- watch out of "secret-sponsored" to keep yourself from rabbit hole

I watched "nickshaves" as for good background explanation, brushes and razors used were similar to mine, and my technique and shave cadence were quite close. "sinatralennon" is my "fun-guy" as for the "use what you've got" and he's super consistent, each shave - same strokes, builds great muscle memory. I did focused more to be persistent with not changing shave strokes each time but stick with pattern for a week or two and keep what works. "kevyshaves" has great comparison videos on his technique improvement (with skin reaction to it) worth watching.

I tend to be as objective as I can be and each video and B&B thread tought me something, but there was no holly grail outside my bathroom, tbh. It's imposible to explain someone how light pressure is needed for Fatip i.e. that's up to you, to learn how to handle those tiny variations (grande - piccolo - oc - cc - slant - regular...)

LOL, I watched this guy couple times but never paid attention to YT channel name 😁
Seems as good guy. Be careful when watching comparison videos and YT shavers:
- focus on ones with similar technique as yours
- check if beard growth, pattern is similar as yours
- keep grain of doubt if he keeps a shave-shop, that wise all razors works great 🤗
- watch out of "secret-sponsored" to keep yourself from rabbit hole

I watched "nickshaves" as for good background explanation, brushes and razors used were similar to mine, and my technique and shave cadence were quite close. "sinatralennon" is my "fun-guy" as for the "use what you've got" and he's super consistent, each shave - same strokes, builds great muscle memory. I did focused more to be persistent with not changing shave strokes each time but stick with pattern for a week or two and keep what works. "kevyshaves" has great comparison videos on his technique improvement (with skin reaction to it) worth watching.

I tend to be as objective as I can be and each video and B&B thread tought me something, but there was no holly grail outside my bathroom, tbh. It's imposible to explain someone how light pressure is needed for Fatip i.e. that's up to you, to learn how to handle those tiny variations (grande - piccolo - oc - cc - slant - regular...)
Good advice in general!
As for the YouTube videos, I try to not watch many because most videos always give a glowing review of every razor that they use. Rarely do I see any of them actually say something negative. I also became tired of seeing some of these guys demonstrate a shave without having any hair on their faces, LOL!!
It's as if they do multiple razor demonstrations in one day. If you're going to do a demo, you need to have at least a couple of days of beard growth! I want to see the hair being cut and hear the audible side of the razor.
I also tend to avoid the head shavers since I don't head shave.
The ones I seem like the most are:

Kevy Shaves
Geofatboy
KenSurfs
Friendship Shaving
Mauro Di Lernia (Italian but great to watch. Found him when I got into the Fatip's)

Note: I don't watch any of them for shaving advice. I figure that out on my own. I just like to see a razor I like in action!

On a side note:
My OC Grande in Nickel arrived today. I'll be grabbing it out of the mailbox when I get home.
And I'll be using it tonight.🙂

And now, I have gone out and bought another Fatip, this time a gold Il Grosso. I purchased it at Gifts & Care, a Spanish company (giftsandcare.com). Their prices and service are very good, and you can use a coupon code, GANDC15 for a discount.
Nice!
That makes 3 of us so far! @edw ordered one as well!
It'll be interesting to read the comparisons amongst us since apparently nobody else owns this thing.

Fatip LoStorto Originale is a fine razor and shouldn’t be ignored. Slanting the blade adds to blade rigidity and it cuts like a laser. There was a time when I bought every used one that popped up here….I have a bunch put away for when the zombies come and the remnant needs razers…

23E83EA1-5EDC-4037-8D23-1267F5AB3C44.jpeg

My OC Grande in Nickel got routed incorrectly:(
USPS did some weird forwarding thing where it ended up back at Pasteur.
What actually arrived yesterday was a separate box of blades (on the same order) that they had sent.
Pasteur is reshipping today!🙂
Best customer service!!

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
My OC Grande in Nickel got routed incorrectly:(
USPS did some weird forwarding thing where it ended up back at Pasteur.
What actually arrived yesterday was a separate box of blades (on the same order) that they had sent.
Pasteur is reshipping today!🙂
Best customer service!!
Glade your like the Fatip razors I only have the Piccolo at the moment but I've got the slant in my sights

Glade your like the Fatip razors I only have the Piccolo at the moment but I've got the slant in my sights
Thanks!
So far so good! Lots of joy using them and they're excellent considering the low cost.
Only issue is having to align them but not a big deal. I actually use the time as quiet time while I do the alignment, LOL!
And once it's set, a great shave awaits!

when I started my adventure 20/25 years ago I went to a perfumery and bought some razors ... I'm Italian and so I bought a couple of Fatips.
I didn't know anything about gaps etc ...open comb / closed comb for me they were all the same.

reading and getting too much information is a good thing but it creates too many preconceptions.

The story of the difficulty of aligning etc … it should also be checked on razors that cost 10 x
and it makes me smile who compares an R89 to a Fatip “ gentile” CC
“Gentile” in Italian means gentle but the CC is not really kind

Those who find them similar may have forgotten to put the razor blade on before shave
Fatips have only one flaw. You need to know the basics of wet shaving to use them.

for this reason it is easier to find 500 euro razors than 15 euro razors in the videos…

humility and light hand because it reminds you that even if is called. “ piccolo “ he is always the boss ! :)

The il Grosso Gold OC has arrived (and I already had a shave with it, LOL!):)
Shaves just like the classic OC because the head is the same classic OC head.
Changes to tolerances and geometry were mentioned but it's all the same.
I compared it to my Grande OC and they are identical. The gap between the posts and cap
remain the same and loading required blade alignment (same as all my other Fatip's).
The big difference is the handle. It's about 3.5" in length vs. the Grande which is about 3.1".
And the diameter is 13mm which is thicker. It's rounded and perfectly smooth which means
it might be slippery for some. For me it's fine!
But one of the most important changes is the weight!
This razor is definitely heavy because of the solid thick handle.
It's nice for those that want the extra weight so the razor can do the heavy work.
Definitely not a razor that requires any pressure while shaving!
Shave results were excellent, equal to my classic OC.
Is it my #1 Fatip thus far? No!
The Grande is!
I will put this one in the #2 slot. The OC Grande is the perfect size, weight, feel and balance (for me).
But this one will definitely be part of my rotation.
So far this is my preferential order:
#1 OC Grande
#2 OC il Grosso
#3 SB Grande
#4 OC Piccolo slant
My SB Lo Storto slant arrives tomorrow so we'll see how that one performs. I mentioned it before, the OC slant has been good but not great so I don't have massive expectations with the closed comb slant. But hey, you never know! The Classic Fatip OC head is incredible and I would put it as their gold standard razor for sure!
Here are some pictures including a picture of the il Grosso, Grande and Piccolo together (to show the size difference of the handles):

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Last edited:
I compared it to my Grande OC and they are identical. The gap between the posts and cap
remain the same and loading required blade alignment (same as all my other Fatip's).
The big difference is the handle. It's about 3.5" in length vs. the Grande which is about 3.1".
And the diameter is 13mm which is thicker. It's rounded and perfectly smooth which means
It's nice for those that want the extra weight so the razor can do the heavy work.
The Grande is!
I will put this one in the #2 slot. The OC Grande is the perfect size, weight, feel and balance (for me).
#1 OC Grande
#2 OC il Grosso
#3 SB Grande
#4 OC Piccolo slant
My SB Lo Storto slant arrives tomorrow so we'll see how that one performs. I mentioned it before, the OC slant has been good but not great so I don't have massive expectations with the closed comb slant. But hey, you never know! The Classic Fatip OC head is incredible and I would put it as their gold standard razor for sure!
Here are some pictures including a picture of the il Grosso, Grande and Piccolo together (to show the size difference of the handles):

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
That's a beauty, but must admit I'd miss so much Fatip's lined handles, somehow its iconic for me ☺️

The Grande is!
#1 OC Grande
#2 OC il Grosso
#3 SB Grande
#4 OC Piccolo slant

full

full
I think it's a beautiful razor. I made a quick comparison length/diameter of my razors to see where the Il Grosso fits in.
For me the Grande and R41 are the most comfortable. The R41GS is more unruly than the Fatip Wood due to its weight, but for both of these the length feels uncomfortable for me.
So designwise the Il Grosso is basically a Mühle R41 with the added weight?

I might give it a shot....

Length mm
⌀ mm
Lengthinch
⌀ inchWeight gr
Fatip Picollo
Fatip Grande
Mühle R41
Mühle R41GS
Fatip Wood

Last edited:
I think it's a beautiful razor. I made a quick comparison length/diameter of my razors to see where the Il Grosso fits in.
For me the Grande and R41 are the most comfortable. The R41GS is more unruly than the Fatip Wood due to its weight, but for both of these the length is uncomfortable.
So the Il Grosso is basically a Mühle R41 with the added weight? (BTW What is the Il Grosso's weight?)

Length mm
⌀ mm
Lengthinch
⌀ inch
Fatip Picollo
Fatip Grande
Mühle R41
Mühle R41GS
Fatip Wood
The IL Grosso weighs 88 grams!

I ordered the classic OC Grande in nickel (arrived Monday). Same head and handle as my gunmetal black but wanted the different finish. My OC slant is a Piccolo which I dislike because the handle is too small. I'm sticking to the Grande's and Nobile's. I'm also looking at the IL Grosso. I tend to like medium sized handles. I've already studied all the variations in heads and handles. The only head missing to try is the closed comb slant but probably won't even try it. I really like the regular OC's!
I guess I need to update my last sentence on this post. In the end I did order the closed comb slant (Lo Storto). So I will be trying that one out as well. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Fatip is going for a casual market. The pricing already suggests that. This is a boon for the masses, for enthusiasts... we have no compunction to spend more money.

If we get a full brass, full stainless steel, no silly coating, higher quality standard razor... we throw lots of money at razor makers.

They make excellent razor heads and I like their design. But they are unlikely to ever offer me just a bit more. I am already fine with the not so perfect quality of the Razorine Flatboy. The price is nice for this one.

Fatip could make a full stainless or brass razor, but for a few enthusiasts it's not worth it.

I still have zamac and chrome coated brass razors, but when one has many full polished stainless steel and titanium razors, the enthusiasm is a bit limited to use a Fatip, Merkur, Mühle.

For me the Grande and R41 are the most comfortable. The R41GS is more unruly than the Fatip Wood due to its weight, but for both of these the length feels uncomfortable for me.
So designwise the Il Grosso is basically a Mühle R41 with the added weight?

Length mm
⌀ mm
Lengthinch
⌀ inchWeight gr
Fatip Picollo
Fatip Grande
Mühle R41
Mühle R41GS
Fatip Wood
That would essentially give you a 2009. R41 - when Mühle still commissioned them from Fatip (minus the Mk1 vs Mk2 cap). Interesting thought.

Guido

I still have zamac and chrome coated brass razors, but when one has many full polished stainless steel and titanium razors, the enthusiasm is a bit limited to use a Fatip, Merkur, Mühle.
I guess it depends on the person. I have razors that are 4 to 10 times the cost of the Fatip's and they currently are just sitting there. My enjoyment of the Fatip's equals the enjoyment of those despite them being cheap. To be honest, the Fatip's have a charm that the others don't.

Top Bottom