What's new

Fatip Razor Quality

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Fatip are known to be low quality, thats why the price is so cheap on them. What got me into Fatip, was because I wanted to get into my first open comb razor, and got the Fatip Grande OC Gold razor. It shaves pretty well, is surprisingly a real go getter. But don't be fooled, quality is not there, its got imperfections all over the place. But you really can't complain when you can get a gold plated razor for only 30 buckaroo's.

Since then, I've gotten a much higher quality, and far better double open comb razor, which is my PAA Copper Ascension in Rose Gold. Its all about what you are willing to pay, to get the job done. But reality is, you can likely find a vintage open comb razor, that will shave your face just as good, and yet be higher quality, and for cheaper then even a Fatip Grande OC.

The finish on the Special Edition went fairly quickly after using it, but so do the whiskers every time I use it. My Fatips are excellent razors. I have little problems with aligning the blade. Alignment issues are there from time to time but doesn’t bother me much. Sometimes happens to the best as well like my Gillette Old Type.

I have issues with plating coming off, but you can’t beat a Fatip at that price point. I think I got my nickel Piccolo for $11.

Enjoy!

Guido

Honestly, after doing a lot my research I've come to the conclusion that they are hot garbage. The finish is **** poor with them, blade alignment issues run rampant, they have a cheap feel compared to Merkur or Parker, and not to mention razors such as those are cheaper or same price and dont ever have blade alignment issues or bad finish. I was seriously considering buying another Fatip; a copper IL Grande due to the colour mostly but reading up on them again - I dont want to risk the chance of getting a bad one again or deal with blade alignment issues, I just can't be dealing with that bs. Instead im gonna spend double being 80$ and buy myself a Razorback Gamechanger .68 with a Barberpole handle. Double the price which is still cheap and its actually made out of stainless steal so in theory will last 5x as long as a fatip and has hundreds if not thousands of reviews praising how smooth and good it is.
Id have to be stupid to buy a fatip again. Why not just pay a few more bucks and actually get a good quality razor. It's really a no brainer. Fatip serves one purpose - Someone who wants a dirt cheap razor that does the job. Thats all it does... maybe. I dont have time to play Russian Roulette and hope to get a good one or not again, or feel like dealing with a razor that gives me different shaves every time due to blade alignment. F that

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Honestly, after doing a lot my research I've come to the conclusion that they are hot garbage. The finish is **** poor with them, blade alignment issues run rampant, they have a cheap feel compared to Merkur or Parker, and not to mention razors such as those are cheaper or same price and dont ever have blade alignment issues or bad finish. I was seriously considering buying another Fatip; a copper IL Grande due to the colour mostly but reading up on them again - I dont want to risk the chance of getting a bad one again or deal with blade alignment issues, I just can't be dealing with that bs. Instead im gonna spend double being 80$ and buy myself a Razorback Gamechanger .68 with a Barberpole handle. Double the price which is still cheap and its actually made out of stainless steal so in theory will last 5x as long as a fatip and has hundreds if not thousands of reviews praising how smooth and good it is.
Id have to be stupid to buy a fatip again. Why not just pay a few more bucks and actually get a good quality razor. It's really a no brainer. Fatip serves one purpose - Someone who wants a dirt cheap razor that does the job. Thats all it does... maybe. I dont have time to play Russian Roulette and hope to get a good one or not again, or feel like dealing with a razor that gives me different shaves every time due to blade alignment. F that
Fatips may have a cheap feel but they are machined brass, not molded zamak/pot metal like the Merkur and Parker. A Fatip will last more than 100 years, a Zamak razor around 10. Brass is plated thinner than on a Zamak razor. Therefore, machining marks are noticeable. You have to plate pot metal thick to protect it from dissolving. A thick chrome finish looks pretty, but it will eventually crack compromising the razor. The best plating on a Fatip is either nickel or chrome. Fatip also clamps the blade forward on the baseplate and cap holding the blade more rigid than on a Merkur or Parker. That makes it a much smoother shaver. You are right the RR Gamechanger is a solid deal. The RR Lupo is an even better deal.

Just got my first Fatip Razor. Upon opening the box and inspecting the item I see this -
A bad gash on the inside of the cap
How did this pass quality check I dont know. What I do know is I am returning this first thing tomorrow and most likely never buying one again.
No way this should have been sold like this. Not only that the razor felt really cheap and janky compared to my King C Gilette, Merkur 34G and Parker A1r.
Ha-ha!
"Fatip" and "quality check" should never be used in one sentence.

I know some users have bought 5 razors that don't have plating problems.

I have now more than 10 razors manufactured by the 'Italian artisans'. 2-3 of them had plating problems on the cap. One of the replacement razors had an aligning post soldered at an angle, so you can only assemble the head one way, and even when you do that the blade has much more exposure on one side.

I have been told by an Italian shop owner I should accept a speck of missing plating on the inside of the cap as something completely normal, because it is an "artisan product".

So, please, spare me the whole "Fatips are great, because I didn't have any problem with them".

Mind you in this post I am not even touching on the alignment issue. :c1:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Ha-ha!
"Fatip" and "quality check" should never be used in one sentence.

I know some users have bought 5 razors that don't have plating problems.

I have now more than 10 razors manufactured by the 'Italian artisans'. 2-3 of them had plating problems on the cap. One of the replacement razors had an aligning post soldered at an angle, so you can only assemble the head one way, and even when you do that the blade has much more exposure on one side.

I have been told by an Italian shop owner I should accept a speck of missing plating on the inside of the cap as something completely normal, because it is an "artisan product".

So, please, spare me the whole "Fatips are great, because I didn't have any problem with them".

Mind you in this post I am not even touching on the alignment issue. :c1:
🤷‍♂️ Says the guy who owns more than 10 of them, you're my hero! :w00t:

🤷‍♂️ Says the guy who owns more than 10 of them, you're my hero! :w00t:
Yeah! I kinda knew you would be the first to react. :lol:
Probably half of them are MKIs I bought from Germany. They give me a shave that is close enough for me (unlike the MKIIs).
Intend to use the Gold Grande MKI more this summer.
Did you already reach the 50 Fatips mark? :c1:

Maybe I got lucky or am just lazy but the whole bunch shaves fine and is ok to look at. I’m buying razors not jewelry.
40920635-5F31-48C9-BCCE-288D778EBE2F.jpeg

E3389A85-602A-42EB-90D8-30BA267D6836.jpeg

C2280498-3808-44CF-98C4-F5E0978647D9.jpeg

A48E0B62-DFD5-4C6E-9859-BAEFCB741B96.jpeg

31BEFA68-B4B5-4CBC-888D-0F4C83081628.jpeg

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Yeah! I kinda knew you would be the first to react. :lol:
Probably half of them are MKIs I bought from Germany. They give me a shave that is close enough for me (unlike the MKIIs).
Intend to use the Gold Grande MKI more this summer.
Did you already reach the 50 Fatips mark? :c1:
No, I have around 38 of them. :blush: They lost me after the il Grosso, which I have. I now have a boatload I will never use. The closed combs don't do it for me. The Piccolo is fun to use, but the Grande is my favorite. There are two woods I like, The Ulivo and Noce. The Ulivo is from Cal, so that's a keeper. I have all the LoStorto's even though I think slants are a gimmick. It has to do with the guys getting me to approach Fatip about making them. The vintage 1980's is virtually impossible to find now. My Mk1s are classic. The rest will gather dust. They all align manually. Like Klamzi said, "The posts are just for decoration." They are no longer my favorite razor but are still in my top three:

1. Blackland Blackbird
2. RR Lupo 95
3. Fatip

...and my sentimental favorite.

Last edited:
I`m very happy with my Fatip razors. My Fatip special edition razor hasn`t shown any signs of flaking or coating wear. I shave with the SE on a regular basis about once or twice a week for about one year now. All my other Fatips have perfect blade alignments sure the finish isn`t perfect but I don`t expect 100% perfection for around a $30 new razor. I love my Gillette Old type razors and Fatip pays homage to the Gillette old type razor. Reading these horror stories about these Fatip razors sure makes me appreciate that I am fortunate to have gotten the good ones.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Love my FOCS, it never fails me. I've got the game changer with all 4 heads and never use them. Gave my Rockwell 6s away to a stranger on Facebook.
I can assure you it's not about the fact I want a cheap razor.
You might adore the Yaqi Duomo. Which is a copy of a vintage Radimi razor that looks like Allosaurus vs T-Rex... erm the other way round, the T-Rex was larger, actually. Did I confuse you thoroughly? My bad! What I wanted to say, basically, it is a prehistorical Fatip design with extra large teeth and a bit more efficiency.

Fatip Grande has been fantastic in quality for me. The only Fatip that wasn't perfect was the Special edition where some plating was lost. Not a big deal as I could use the gentile blade and I had never been fond of piccolo handle.

Last edited:
No, I have around 38 of them. :blush: They lost me after the il Grosso, which I have. I now have a boatload I will never use. The closed combs don't do it for me. The Piccolo is fun to use, but the Grande is my favorite. There are two woods I like, The Ulivo and Noce. The Ulivo is from Cal, so that's a keeper. I have all the LoStorto's even though I think slants are a gimmick. It has to do with the guys getting me to approach Fatip about making them. The vintage 1980's is virtually impossible to find now. My Mk1s are classic. The rest will gather dust. They all align manually. Like Klamzi said, "The posts are just for decoration." They are no longer my favorite razor but are still in my top three:

1. Blackland Blackbird
2. RR Lupo 95
3. Fatip

...and my sentimental favorite.
Lovely comments on Fatip . I remember buying my second Fatip because of you and from @Esox comments.

Honestly, after doing a lot my research I've come to the conclusion that they are hot garbage. The finish is **** poor with them, blade alignment issues run rampant, they have a cheap feel compared to Merkur or Parker, and not to mention razors such as those are cheaper or same price and dont ever have blade alignment issues or bad finish...

You would probably want to avoid buying any Yuma razors. Looks like something off the discount rack in the hardware store, only costs a few bucks, but despite that shaves very well.

Top Bottom