What's new

Best Gillette Tech

Flat Bottom Tech is great. But the undisputed Tech champion is the Hybrid Tech.
If I understand, from reading earlier threads:
The Hybrid tech is basically a closed-comb English NEW (but actually sold by Gillette and not assembled aftermarket). Does this mean it has the exact same NEW cap? And the baseplate looks like it's modified from the regular Flat Bottom Tech (the central ridge inside that aligns the blade to the cap) but is the geometry that matters for the shave exactly the same?
In other words, if you put a NEW cap on a Flat Bottom guard (as I believe the Captain Beefheart moderator did) are you getting the exact Hybrid Tech shave or just a similar one?

Boy! I'm totally confused by your post. :letterk1:
if you put a NEW cap on a Flat Bottom guard (as I believe the Captain Beefheart moderator did) are you getting the exact Hybrid Tech shave or just a similar one?
Flat Bottom baseplates have holes which accept the cap's locating fins. Raised Flat Bottom baseplates have grooves which accept the cap's locating fins.

TMK the Hybrid Tech has the only RFB baseplate with a solid safety bar... so no, because FB baseplates are different to RFBs.

(NEW baseplate LINK.)

Please accept my apologies if I've confused the issue even further. :blushing:

Boy! I'm totally confused by your post. :letterk1:

Flat Bottom baseplates have holes which accept the cap's locating fins. Raised Flat Bottom baseplates have grooves which accept the cap's locating fins.

TMK the Hybrid Tech has the only RFB baseplate with a solid safety bar... so no, because FB baseplates are different to RFBs.

(NEW baseplate LINK.)

Please accept my apologies if I've confused the issue even further. :blushing:
Thanks, and sorry to confuse, as I'm confused myself. So the hybrid tech baseplate is built just like a RFB NEW baseplate except for with a safety bar instead of the open comb? Same geometry and everything? That makes sense, if so.
But, then, was I wrong about the cap being the same as a RFB NEW cap?

Last edited:
So the hybrid tech baseplate is built just like a RFB NEW baseplate except for with a safety bar instead of the open comb?
Yes.
Same geometry and everything?
I believe so (but wouldn't swear to it).
That makes sense, if so.
:lol1: Good!
But then, which NEW RFB cap would you be referring to (1, 2, or 12)? (That LINK again :wink2:.)

First let me say I'm not an expert this is just my take based on alot of net time. Its hard to say about the case since Gillette is notorious for using up all stock which resulted in many mixed sets of all types. However I suspect that the blue case was used for all the Techs of that type not just the brass ones. The truth is I've been collecting razors, reading and shopping for them on a near full time basis for quite a few years (im retired) and I've never seen another brass tech like mine. I just got lucky in my net travels. The etching on the cap I've seen a few other times (the "Gillette" without the diamond) so I supect the brass ones made are far and few. I've got quite a few other British Gillettes in my collection so I'm in that area alot - I love the Brit razors. Most of them I snagged from the UK and outside the states. Heres one example of a hard to find one -

View attachment 1404401

View attachment 1404401

Idk what you guys are talking about...
Aluminum tech comes in at 31.6 grams, brass is 37 grams.
If you don't have them together to handle, the ball end is a good indicator that it is brass.
IDK either your wrong. I have no reason to lie about the weight. It is what it is. This is not a ball end. Look at the picture...

Thanks, and sorry to confuse, as I'm confused myself. So the hybrid tech baseplate is built just like a RFB NEW baseplate except for with a safety bar instead of the open comb? Same geometry and everything? That makes sense, if so.

The Hybrid Tech is using the same top cap as the FB Tech. The top cap of the NEW RFB is slightly different and if you put the top cap of a FB Tech on a NEW RFB, you have the closest thing to a Hybrid Tech.

The NEW FB has at least two, maybe three different top caps and one of the top caps is the same as the NEW RFB or with the FB Tech or perhaps both? I have a RFB, FB NEW and FB Tech, but i'm outside of town and when I return I will have to check the top caps of my RFB and NEW FB if they are the same or not.

I think that the secret to the Tech's superior shaves it in the hollow/light weight handle. Put any
Tech cap and bottom plate onto a heavy stainless steel handle, and although it will look really nice, i've found that it doesn't shave as well as when used with the Fat Handles or hollow Ball-End handles.

Well here's the hefty ole damsel.

IMG_20220205_053731031.jpg

I think that the secret to the Tech's superior shaves it in the hollow/light weight handle. Put any
Tech cap and bottom plate onto a heavy stainless steel handle, and although it will look really nice, i've found that it doesn't shave as well as when used with the Fat Handles or hollow Ball-End handles.

This was my experience as well. A friend gave me an Elite Razor handle many years ago and I paired it with an R89. Tried it on and off with a Tech head and it just didn't work so well. With the original Fat Handle, I get better results.

This was my experience as well. A friend gave me an Elite Razor handle many years ago and I paired it with an R89. Tried it on and off with a Tech head and it just didn't work so well. With the original Fat Handle, I get better results.
Maybe it's time we started a club for us LHFs (Lightweight Handle Fanboys). :001_unsur

(Once again) here's my Flat Bottom Tech on its magical 14 gram GT handle; made for me by my good friend (and fellow LHF) Doug (@Rosseforp):
SOTD-1947-GT-B_2022-02-04.jpg

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
… if you put the top cap of a FB Tech on a NEW RFB, you have the closest thing to a Hybrid Tech.

I still don’t understand how one can take an RFB New baseplate, add a FB New top cap, and come up with a Hybrid Tech. The RFB new, and the Hybrid Tech are miles apart in shave feel. My 2 cents anyway.

I still don’t understand how one can take an RFB New baseplate, add a FB New top cap, and come up with a Hybrid Tech. The RFB new, and the Hybrid Tech are miles apart in shave feel. My 2 cents anyway.

I've never had the pleasure to use a Hybrid Tech myself, but i've used a RFB, FB NEW and FB Tech and I doubt that the Hybrid is going to be much different in performance compared to those three razors. The other thing is that IF the only difference between the Hybrid and the RFB is the open comb vs flat bar with the same gap and blade exposure like people claim, then it would make sense for both razors to perform ''nearly'' the same. Again, those are just my speculations as well as things that i've heard from people who have/had those razors and did some tests.

I'm also well aware that different people have different preferences and like different things, but based on my ''small'' experience with all kinds of vintage Gillette razors as well as using common sense, I don't trust the minority that claims that the Hybrid can't be compared to any other Tech or NEW made by Gillette.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've never had the pleasure to use a Hybrid Tech myself, but i've used a RFB, FB NEW and FB Tech and I doubt that the Hybrid is going to be much different in performance compared to those three razors.
Okay. That explains it. Especially the first part of that sentence. No disrespect intended, but you have no idea until you try one. There are some razors that have a magic or mojo that cannot be explained away by measurements and science. The Hybrid Tech is one of those things. Believe what you want. That is all I’m going to say about it.

Okay. That explains it. Especially the first part of that sentence. No disrespect intended, but you have no idea until you try one. There are some razors that have a magic or mojo that cannot be explained away by measurements and science. The Hybrid Tech is one of those things. Believe what you want. That is all I’m going to say about it.

Again with the - bUT YoU hAVen't UsEd tHAT rAzor ''logic''. You can't make that $hit up lol.

I've used many razors that people call ''magical'' or very different compared to others with similar heads and I found that to be false. People claim that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen British Aristocrats are very different and I have all of them and in my opinion the difference is barely noticeable and they are not very different than say a Rocket HD or Parat. Same goes for the RFB compared to the NEW LC - ''omigosh they are super different and the RFB is amazing'', sureeeee whatevaaaa.

At some point I will get my hands on a Hybrid just to point out the whole crap that some members spread around by claiming that the ''rarest'' vintage razors are much better compared to the more common ones.

Here are a few of my RFB, Flat Bottom New and Tech Razors, as well as the one Hybrid I still have. I do enjoy these razors. I get it if some people dont. Or dont see the mojo of certain models. Its all good. No need to argue. We all have different tastes.

View attachment 1405532

View attachment 1405533

View attachment 1405534

I'm not arguing or trying to change anyone's mind about a razor or claim that the Hybrid or whatever razor is bad or anything, but some people are just spreading myths and urban legends that most ''rare'' razors shave much better than others. Like I said, i've tried all the solid bar British Aristocrats and I can barely feel any difference and the same goes for the RFB and the LC, but lots of people claim that they are super different and those who disagree with that notion are seen as haters or whatever.

I just don't understand why some topics and debates on the forum are always one sided, when there's a lot of evidence that points out the opposite.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
but some people are just spreading myths and urban legends that most ''rare'' razors shave much better than others.

I believe this is a big part of our hobby. And I think it’s okay. It’s what fuels a lot of us. That myth that this or that might be the magic thing. And it’s okay to not buy into any of that. Lots of people on here are like you and just want a great shave. Fair enough. But likewise some of us enjoy the urban legends and myths, and the hope that one rare razor is going to bring the amazing shave experience.

One personal example for me is the Pyscho Tech. It’s just a run of the mill Tech, but with an uber-light hollow handle when the key is removed. I hate hollow lightweight handles. The heavier the better. But there is something about shaving with the Psycho Tech that does it for me. Can’t explain it. It’s the mojo baby!

Top Bottom