What's new

Interesting local find.

So on a whim, the wife and I decided to stop at a Kmart today, just for a quick walk through. As I do everywhere, I popped in and checked the shaving aisle. I expected to see the usual expensive DE blades they carry and was suprised to find these...

$image.jpg

Not the best price, $4.19(iirc), but still a suprise to see. Gillettes, made in Brazil, 9 pack(3 tucks of 3). I know it's cheaper to order online, but if I see a locally available item I try to buy some to help show sales. I will give them a go, but for people that don't check, maybe give your Kmart a try.

If they are the same Brazil blades from the way back years, you better go back and get all you can find. I thought P&G closed their Brazil factory several years ago.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Not only do we not have them here, we've been without K-Mart for many years too!
And compared to where people have been finding these lately, that's a good price!

I have seen the exact same packs in at least 4 Walgreens stores around Southern California. They've had them stocked for about 6 months now that I remember. Perhaps it will be a new staple item? I would very much like to hear your review of these blades!

I see these at my grocery store, too. A bit more expensive than what you paid; last I checked they were around $5.20. Good to have a local option, though.

I have seen the exact same packs in at least 4 Walgreens stores around Southern California. They've had them stocked for about 6 months now that I remember. Perhaps it will be a new staple item? I would very much like to hear your review of these blades!
I believe they are now also listed on the US Gillette website.

Well, had a shave with these today. Nivea Cream with the Badger in my usual shower shave. Razor was a pre-war Fat Handle Tech, my daily driver.

Overall a very nice shave. I usually use Astra SPs as a baseline. The Brazil Gillette Platinums felt nearly as smooth, tho just a touch more rasp at the end. Three passes is my usual, and these did that, but left a bit of buffing to do around the jawline. Aftershave, Skin Bracer, went on smooth with just a hint more burn than usual.

Overall quality, if my Astra SPs are my 10, these were a sold 8.5-9. Equally on par, and maybe a touch better than the Kroger Isreali IPs, but twice the price. Certainly much better than any of the Dollar Store Dorcos.

These work out to .38 each vs Kroger IPs at .22 vs Dollar Dorcos which average about .20-.30 depending on where you pick them up. By no means as cheap as ordering online, but if I was a dedicated local shopper, a good value albeit on the high end. But probably still cheaper than most carts or disposables.

These will probably hit my rotation as do most the available local items as I like to think it helps show sales. Astras will still be my go to, but these will work as fill ins fine.

Nice find!!
I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I was looking around a Chinese shop at the Son Caliu end of Palmanova, Mallorca.
As well as a tuck of 5 obscure Chinese DE blades for about €1, I almost gulped when I saw a pack of 2x tucks of 5 Bic Chrome Platinum for €2,95
Needless to say I left them there, after all I can get Bic Chrome Platinum for about €10,00/100 on eBay, but it was impressive to see a god quality blade available locally

Thanks for the review! You inspired me to give them a try as well so yesterday I stopped by Walgreens. It wasn't cheap though... $6.99 plus tax ($7.55 total), came out to $0.84 per blade. Still, I'll try it once.

I also love the quote on the back. I'm surprised Gillette hasn't updated it with the times though to say:
"We'll stop making razor blades when we can't fit any more on one head." -David S. Taylor, 2016

proxy.php
proxy.php

Well. I am two more shaves in on this blade. I have mixed feelings.

Yesterday's shave felt very nice and looked clean, but as I was drying off noticed some weepers appear. Yet still I had some spots that didn't feel as smooth as I usually get with an Astra SP.

Then today I had a nice shave, no weepers, but still feeling some rough patches around the chin.

Both of these were three passes, the former with some buffing to try to smooth the rough spots, hence the weepers. This blade seems like it is sharp, and must be as I can't think the last time I had weepers, 4-5 yrs ago I guess. That early raspiness seems to have mellowed, so in the future they may benefit from a quick palm strop.

I think I may swap it into my 40s SS and run the week out. Maybe it will perform better in a different razor, not all blades work well with a Tech.

I saw these in the Walgreens by my house one day and I went back the next day to buy them and they were gone and never to be seen again :glare::glare:

I asked my sister to try to find these, apparently Louisville KY hasn't received em yet.

I also think it might be worth a shot to make a list of where people have found them so far.

All right. Two more shaves down....

Yesterdays was was actually pretty unremarkable. Same prep, 3 passes, now with a 40s SS, very smooth. Still noticed some rough patches around the right and left chin areas. The AS went on smooth with no burn.

Today, not so much. Same prep, same 40s SS. Decent shave, but felt raspy again. Still the same rough patches on the side of the chin, plus a couple scratchers on the cheeks to pick up after the 3rd pass. Kind of felt like a back slide with this blade.

I have two more days to go. Still happy over all. If I sound disappointed, I am a bit. It is a decent blade, but doesn't match the smoothness of my Astra SPs. Still can't figure it out. Feels very sharp, yet seems to shave less close. I am certain it is not as smooth. That said, it is a good blade, you can just tell, just maybe not for me. It will still hold a spot as a local purchase, but unless the next two days are amazing, I don't think it will Be more than that.

All right, the final two shaves and I am done for the week.

The last two shaves were similar prep, the only thing that changed was I used some Body Shop Maca Root instead of the Nivea. Still 3 passes with a 40s SS.

Both were similar shaves as prior. Smoother than the first couple and about the same as the middle two. Still some rough areas around the chin and some scratchers of the cheeks. Nothing a little buffing didn't fix, but not something I usually have to do with my Astras.

Overall! I think my beginning rating still stands. I am a touch disappointed with the amount of extra buffing it required for what seemed like a very sharp blade. That said, its still a good blade, priced a touch higher than some other local offerings, albeit not by much, but it is available locally which adds a couple of points for convenience.

Last edited:
Nothing a little buffing didn't fix, but not something I usually have to do with my Astras.

Overall! I think my beginning rating still stands. I am a touch disappointed with the amount of extra buffing it required for what seemed like a very sharp blade.

I picked up a pack of these last week at Walgreens thanks to this thread, and overall I agree with you in the review. They're decent, but not as good as the Astras. Thank you for following up on your experiences with them!

Top Bottom