What's new

In search for a medium aggressive TTO!

Hi all, I am hunting for a medium aggressive TTO as a gift for my father.
I searched a lot for them in the Internet and is exhausted. So I thought to get some expert advice.
He likes only TTO ( maybe the ease of use)and I couldn't find something decent enough.
I already bought him a Feather TTO and he didn't like it. Its too mild( even I find it very mild)
So i started the search and I have narrowed down the list and eliminated many of them.
Here is the list of the razors I eliminated.
Merkur Futur
I don't have to worry about its aggressiveness as it is adjustable but it has poor grip and changing the blade is tricky. Moreover I am concerned with the durability of the spring mechanism.
It seems to have a bulky head too.

Merkur Progress
Again its not a TTO.

Parker
Read about the poor workmanship about the Parker, though I like the 22R.

Mehaz, Van der Hagen, Weishi
In the looks department all of them really impressed me but I see that all belongs to the mild category from many reviews.
The perfect one would have been the Gillette super adjustable. He had that for long years until it stopped working.
I don't think he will like a used one and a NOS cost a fortune.
Currently I am confused with the Cadet, Razorock and the Timor.
So please chime in with your suggestions. Thanks

Vintage Gillette!!

Classic shavers and will last forever.

Look at any of the Super Speeds from the 1950's. They are all great, middle of the road shavers. You could also look at a Slim of Fat Boy adjustable. Either of these would allow your dad to pick his aggressiveness.

Yep, vintage Gillette. I'd say a Red Tip might be a good fit. A Gillette Adjustable might also work well.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that he wouldn't want used. That's quite unfortunate. There's no reason to fear used - it's safe to use with just a regular cleaning. It's not more dangerous than eating in a restaurant and using silverware. If you can't get past this issue, then I guess I would recommend a Cadet. It's fairly aggressive - similar to the Gillette adjustable on high settings, but maybe a tad more. They are not the quite the quality implements that you get in a vintage Gillette, however.

Last edited:
Vintage Gillette!!

Classic shavers and will last forever.

Look at any of the Super Speeds from the 1950's. They are all great, middle of the road shavers. You could also look at a Slim of Fat Boy adjustable. Either of these would allow your dad to pick his aggressiveness.
Yes, but he doesn't want a used one. I am sure

Yep, vintage Gillette. I'd say a Red Tip might be a good fit. A Gillette Adjustable might also work well.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that he wouldn't want used. That's quite unfortunate. There's no reason to fear used - it's safe to use with just a regular cleaning. It's not more dangerous than eating in a restaurant and using silverware. If you can't get past this issue, then I guess I would recommend a Cadet. It's fairly aggressive - similar to the Gillette adjustable on high settings, but maybe a tad more. They are not the quite the quality implements that you get in a vintage Gillette, however.
I myself has a vintage Gillette super speed and slim adjustable on the way. Some people can be different so new one is the only option for me. Yes, I should seriously look for the cadet though its nowhere near the Gillette.

A friend really likes his Razorock TTO, he's grown into it's moderate aggressiveness.

I've been looking at the Cadet 11c open comb TTO but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The RR TTO sure looks like a Cadet.

The Parker 99R is probably somewhere in the mild to medium category and has been very effective and reliable for me.

A friend really likes his Razorock TTO, he's grown into it's moderate aggressiveness.

I've been looking at the Cadet 11c open comb TTO but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

The RR TTO sure looks like a Cadet.

Yeah, the Razorock, Pearl, Cadets, Matador..all from the same OEM in India, with some differences as ordered by the particular vendor (handle and some other customization). I do like the model 11 (OC TTO), it's a nice shave.

If you want medium aggressive, try the vintage Gillette Popular (UK), Senator(US), or Sheraton (US). What could be better than an OC TTO?

Does he still have the slim? It could maybe be fixed. Or what about a replated vintage. The process makes it like new?
Sorry this isn't what you are asking though.

Does he still have the slim? It could maybe be fixed. Or what about a replated vintage. The process makes it like new?
Sorry this isn't what you are asking though.
Excellent suggestion. Get a nice Aristocrat Junior and have it replated in nickel. It will look like new and give a great shave.

Top Bottom