What's new

First shaving trip chapter two: A pleasant day at Saint James

So here it is, finally the second chapter of my “Shaving trip to Europe”:
First let me tell you all that some other members of this forum had already written some nice reviews of the traditional shaving shops in London. Here are the links to the ones I found searching the forum:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25430

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23122

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=262666

And now for the story:
Our trip o Europe had a very nice itinerary: Lisbon, Porto, London (2 days), Kassel, Venice, Slovenia, Vienna, Prague and one last week in London.

Still in Portugal I called Truefit and Hill to make an appointment for a traditional shave. The price was absurd (35 pounds + gratuity), but what can I say, after reading so much about these shops in our dear B&B forum, I just couldn’t resist… SWMBO supported my decision.
It was a Saturday and my appointment was for 4pm (I believe their last shave on Saturdays is 4:30)
We arrived early, had lunch on a local pub with a pint of Guiness and went to the barber.

On the way (in St James Street) I dropped into D.R Harris. It seems as the salespeople didn’t quite notice our presence so we wandered the small shop for a few minutes. I noticed that most products didn’t have the price on it and I asked for the price of one or other Item which all seemed too expensive for me (since it was still the beginning of the trip and a good portion of my budget was going to the barber across the street). What most caught my attention was a “Arlington soap on a rope”. So I just went to the saleslady and asked if she had a sample of anything to give. She nicely gave a little sample of the Arlington shaving cream.
Actually that was the only sample I managed to get in these London shops (Ok, I got some samples at T&H but since paid for the shave I guess that doesn’t count).

full

Anyway, even though I was disguised as a real gentleman, with my Blazer and my favorite pair of shoes, I wasn’t able to get anything for free. Too bad for them because at the end of the trip I went back to Harris and, since they were nice to my I bought a tube of their almond shaving cream that was on sale for 6 pounds. The Lavender was the same price but I didn’t care so much for the smell.

Truefit and Hill had a big scaffold so I saw no point of taking a picture of the entrance. Inside the store my barber was waiting and after some small talk we got down to business.

I asked what cream he would use:
“Today we will be using the ultimate comfort shaving cream”
I sat down on the nice chair and asked my wife to take the pictures (stupid tourists !!!)

First we had a hot towel, than a generous portion of their pre-shave oil (I love that sent), after that another hot towel. That was really nice, with the second hot towel, the smell f the oil really grows…

Lather up: that felt kind of strange, I mean, the lather was a lot thicker than I thought it would be. Since I am still a newbie (and was even more at that time) I couldn’t tell if it was right or wrong just that I was expecting something with more moisture.

Than came the blade: well I confess I was a bit disappointed, I was expecting the blade to just glide easily but it actually scratched a bit. It was little worse on the neck. To make a long story short (or at least shorter), the feeling of the shave itself wasn’t what I expected, my shaves at home use to feel more comfortable then that.
As I remember, the barber made 2 passes with special attention to my neck.

Post-shave: after shaved and cleaned up he used a cold towel, West Indian limes aftershave balm and than a cold towel with the west Indian limes cologne for my face and neck.

We still talked for a while and the barber said that he noticed how my skin was sensitive and that’s why he could give me a closer shave. I guess all the hot towels, massage with oil made me a bit too sensitive for the shave.

I took the time to take a look at the shop and ended up buying a tube of West Indian limes shaving cream. At the last day of the trip I returned to the shop to get some aftershave balm of the same scent – I just love the limes.

Conclusion: Was it worth it? Hard to say. I enjoyed it and I guess that’s what counts. I would recommend the experience for anyone that goes to London, either at T&H or any of the other traditional shops. It’s nice to be pampered and have the feeling of “a visit to the past”. Barber was nice, I was very well treated but the shave itself wasn’t particularly close, and it wasn’t painless.
The price is high especially for a Brazilian due to the present currency rates.
Next time I go to London, I might have a shave at Trumpers, since they are 5 pounds cheaper, :biggrin1: .

Well, after the shave I went around the neighborhood to visit the other shops, but that’s a different story.

full

(Before)

full

(hot towel)

full

(pre shave oil and massage)

full

(lather-up)

full

(The shave)

full

(After)

Don't miss the other chapters of this adventure
intro: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30147
chapter 1: The quest for Musgo Real: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30148
And if you like this post, please comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel made a valid point in one of the other threads on visiting a barber - don't expect anyone to be able to shave you as well and as close as you can. I haven't had the experience of being shaved by a barber, but I can see the logic. Nobody knows your face, your skin and your beard like you do.

Sounds like you got something good out of the experience though.

I was over there in September. Stocked up at the three Ts and DR Harris, but found the sales guy at Penhaligon's too arrogant. Plus I have to draw the line somewhere, and twenty pounds for a puck of soap is over that line.

Cheers

Jeremy

I went to a baber once for a straight shave..hard to find one who uses a REAL straight edge & not a "disposable blade"/shavette.

Any way, I thought it would be a good way to see if a straight edge shave was worth persuing. It was, but its true that even an experienced barber doesn't know your face as well as you.

Looks like you got the delux treatment! Nice :cool:

I guess at the end you are paying more for the environment and the whole experience than for the actual shave.

interesting to note was that when I called to make the appointment, the lady tolld me I would have to pay in advance since Saturday is always crowded.
but for the whole time I was there, I didn´t see anyone else entering the store
I guess the place works more like a showroom than a store

ps: my local barber charges about 7US$ for a straight shave. I think I´ll take my west Indian limes cream and after shave balm and see if he can shave better than the english dude..

The lather does appear quite thick.
Interestingly, the barber appears (at least in the picture) to be "choking up " quite a bit on the brush, with his fingers just short of the end of the bristles.

actually, to get a good brush spread, you have to apply light force and hold the brush with a claw hand grabing the handle as close to the bristles as you can,

as for barber shaves, i think that like most electrics and cartrige razors, they are designed for the standart face, so if you have a different grain growth or a special skin condition, a barber shave might not be the best thing for you,

Top Bottom