What's new

A good Gin....

For on the rocks, I think a gin with a bit more citrus is appropriate. Beefeater and Tanqueray Rangpur are excellent on the rocks. Rangpur is very limey, though it is not overbearing. Beefeater has a definite citrus note, though not close to the level of Rangpur. To give you an idea, you dont even need a lime when making a GT with Rangpur.

It was such a dissapointment when Tanqueray discontinued Malacca, which was a gin with a subtle grapefruit note. It was superb on the rocks.

Boodles of Plymouth, by far my favorites. Both are subtle with classic flavors and a little lighter in the juniper arena. Both make excellent martinis and G&Ts.

I am a whiskey person so take this with a grain of salt... but i do drink gin in the summertime and I don't drink anything but Tangueray.. however I don't do it on the rocks, I do G&T's or with roses lime...

I have yet to try the Rangpur.. but it is on my list..

You really need to hit up a bar and try a few things, that will be cheaper than getting bottles you don't like from a liquor store.

For on the rocks, I think a gin with a bit more citrus is appropriate. Beefeater and Tanqueray Rangpur are excellent on the rocks. Rangpur is very limey, though it is not overbearing. Beefeater has a definite citrus note, though not close to the level of Rangpur. To give you an idea, you dont even need a lime when making a GT with Rangpur.

It was such a dissapointment when Tanqueray discontinued Malacca, which was a gin with a subtle grapefruit note. It was superb on the rocks.

+1. Absolutely agree. Rangpur and ginger beer is a most refreshing cocktail.:pirate:

guenron said:
Tanq Ten
Characteristics:
  1. Smooth
  2. High Octane
  3. Citrus Zest
  4. Pricey (and worth every penny!)
+1 w/ lemon twist

The only problem I have with TT is that after the first sip or two I get a throbbing in my head that's akin to brain freeze, and it last about as long. After that passes, it's all good. Excellent stuff!

My favorite is Beefeaters. It has a dry, traditional flavor with a bit of a bite to it. I enjoy Bombay almost as much. Tanqueray is good, too.

Tim

Tanq Ten
Characteristics:
  1. Smooth
  2. High Octane
  3. Citrus Zest
  4. Pricey (and worth every penny!)

Agreed. I like the smooth citrus taste. I first tried this at a very large wine tasting of all places. The distributor set-up a table and was serving this over ice. He told me add Tanquery 10 in a glasses with ice. Stir 100 times (50 times clock-wise, 50 times counter clock-wise) and enjoy. I have had it this way ever since that day!

In fact I think I'll have one right now! Cheers all!

My wife and I are not gin drinkers, but keep a bottle of Tanqueray for a good friend who visits and drinks it. However, after reading about Hendricks, I went out and bought a bottle because it sounded so different.

Last night we had dinner with other friends who are gin (and single malt) aficianodos. They enjoy Bombay Saphire and buy other interesting gins as it strikes their fancy.

We cracked open the bottle of Hendricks and sliced a cucumber and it was fantastic. We ended up making mostly gin and tonics that were so refreshing and flavorful. The cucumber added a nice dimension beyond the botanical and citrus flavors. What a treat!

We cracked open the bottle of Hendricks and sliced a cucumber and it was fantastic. We ended up making mostly gin and tonics that were so refreshing and flavorful. The cucumber added a nice dimension beyond the botanical and citrus flavors. What a treat!

+1 on the Hendricks. I get a mostly coriander flavor from Hendricks.

For me, it doesn't get better then Damrak gin... Straight, on the rocks, with tonic and lime... any way you go it is amazing. Lots of berry flavor in this one!

More of a single malt guy- Gin made me belligerent (found this out at college)- but the one that made me the most was Bombay- so probably that was the best of the lot.:biggrin:

Top Bottom