What's new

Discussion thread for Pinaud Lilac Vegetal review

Another nice review by Howard, master of the old-school shaving products. I agree, LV is a truly vile concoction.

Thanks Scotto.

I just had a horrible, horrible experience.

I had the bottle out as I wrote the review. My wife came by just after I was done and asked what I was doing. I told her I was reviewing the product and she asked to smell it. I didn't say anything but just put some on her wrist.

She likes it!

:eek:

I must have been very very bad in a previous life to get this karma. I can imagine having to go through the coming decades having to wear this stuff. I may have to discretely incinerate it.

If your wife likes the smell, you are in luck! I've found the scent in cake form....
there is even a website devoted to the cake form of the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal scent. here ya go....
Needless to say, I'm not a big fan of the scent...
John P.

Anyone else tried this one? So far it's kind of mixed. Those opposed are strongly opposed, but lots of good things are that way. Feather blades come to mind. Not for everyone, but a godsend to some.

Although, the controversy is entertaining. From Basenotes:

1. This is fresh lilacs in a bottle and extremely well done. There is no complexity nor subtlety: it's simply lilac water. It is bracing, refreshing and invigorating. Extremely good on a hot day. However, this is not a fragrance to wear out. This is for you to splash on after a shower, or swimming, and to enjoy for the 30 minutes or so that it lasts. Highly under-rated in my opinion.
  2. The alltime worst smelling stuff I have ever smelled smells like old men in nursing homes.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Although, the controversy is entertaining. From Basenotes:

1. This is fresh lilacs in a bottle and extremely well done. There is no complexity nor subtlety: it's simply lilac water. It is bracing, refreshing and invigorating. Extremely good on a hot day. However, this is not a fragrance to wear out. This is for you to splash on after a shower, or swimming, and to enjoy for the 30 minutes or so that it lasts. Highly under-rated in my opinion.
  2. The alltime worst smelling stuff I have ever smelled smells like old men in nursing homes.
Just received a bottle of the Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. Literally 10 minutes ago. Package came right after I finished shaving today. Opened it. Took a big whiff. Put some on my wrist. Immediately splashed Pinaud Bay Rum all over and I am now getting dressed and on my way to a nursing home to render the Lilac Vegetal as a gift.

I had a plastic bottle-easily found in Sally's Beauty SUpply or Walgreens. The scent is overpowering. I put some on to refresh myself while waiting for my flight at Laguardia airport and the gentting next to me glared at me and moved a few seats away. Not the greatest. I prefer Pinaud Special Reserve and Bay rum which i mixed with some leftover Michelsens and Burts Bee. They also have a musky-citrusy Club Royal that reminds me of Comet.

I generally like it, but sometimes it rubs me the wrong way. I would rate it about 65% positive.

Tim

I agree with Tim here. I can see how so many people would not like it. Its not a go to product for me, but on some summer days it works. What can I say, maybe there are times when I like smelling like floral-old man. :wink2:

Jordan

Damn, Lilac Vegetal stinks to high heaven...my barber wanted to put some on me once after shaving my sideburns, and neck, and I told him "thanks, but no thanks!" It really has a disgusting scent. :frown: :frown:

Jeff

I wore it for a full day a while back in an attempt to understand.

I'm starting to get glimmerings but it still hasn't made my top 10 list.

A fresh bottle of Lilac Vegetal is great. It has a subtle scent and does smell like lilacs. However, if it has decomposed, it has a smell between a cat and a skunk. I just opened a new bottle (purchased recently from Bestgroomingtools.com) and it smells great, no foul odor. The color is also green. It appears to fade as it ages. If you buy a bottle that smells bad, you should return it for a refund.

I love the scent. (See my review.) But I poured my bottle out after a girl had a conniption FIT when she smelled it. It's great if you want to make someone HURL. Sigh. . . Back to Aqua Velva! :smile:

Hey, who opened a bottle at the Discount Drug Mart in Independence?

Anyhoo, I took the opportunity to dab a bit on my wrist.

A little while later all I'm getting is powdery.

Not offensive either. I'd actually consider buying it.

When I smelled it in the bottle it wasn't too enthused. However, it smelled pretty good after I applied some to my neck (I have a beard). My wife likes it too. And mine is also green.

Folks,

Being new to wet shaving I decided to be open minded about what aftershaves to buy. So far I have four styles of Masters brand aftershaves, two Pinaud and 4711 which I use as an aftershave+

As for Pinaud I have Clubman and Lilac Vegetal. Love them both.

For Lilac Vegetal, you must do the following:
1. smell it from the bottle.
2. do not, I repeat do not judge it from the bottle smell
3. rub some on your wrist and wait at lest 5 minutes
4. smell it on your wrist then make a judgment

I did this at a Tobacconist that has samples to try. I then asked some female customers what they thought. They liked it. Then I gave them the bottle to smell and they didn't like it.

End of story.

David

P.S. You don't have to be Hungarian to like this aftershave.:001_smile

yesss. The lilac is a seductive scent! once it worms its green "way" into your brain - you will join the lilac mafia. Try it. You know you all want to!

PS: You don't have to be Hungarian to love it!

Top Bottom