What's new

Discussion thread for Pinaud Lilac Vegetal review

My first try with Lilac Vegetal did not go so well. I have a small sample, and yesterday was a good day to experiment with it.

As an aftershave it works well: nice burn up front and skin felt nice afterwards.

But the scent wasn't settling down into anything pleasant for me. Three hours later I attempted to wash it off and apply another lotion instead. I could still smell it on my hands the rest of the day despite several hand washings.

I told SWMBO the story and after sampling the scent remaining on my hands said, "it's not bad...smells like old man, but doesn't wreak or anything."

So I'll give what little bit I have left another shot one of these days, but I don't think I'll ever buy a bottle.

Clubman, on the other hand, will always be in my shave den.

I found this vintage glass bottle in an antique store a few weeks ago. I've used it a couple of times, I can't say it's my favorite, my Bay Rums hold that spot, but I definitely don't hate it. And SWMBO likes it also!!

$veg.jpg

Tried it for the first time today. Definitely understand the "toilet water" opinion that many have, but it mellows out after about an hour. Flowery, powdery smell is dominant.

I read the reviews and I was forewarned. I'm not sure I hate it, but I'm not sure I love this yet. kind of a citronella, vegetable stew scent. I don't find it heavy, but it is definitely present. This is my first experiment with the veg. I had an awesome shave with the melon is definitely BBS, so I thought I'd try a splash. We'll see if people love it or hate it as I've got a few meetings first thing this morning.

Resurrected this one!

Some serious Veg hate in this thread. Hopefully popular opinion is swaying. It has seen some good press in more recent years.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Love it or hate it; you've got to try it ...

just don't get the 12 oz. bottle like I did. get the smallest sample possible. just saying

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm totally getting the 12 oz. bottle, maybe even 16 oz.. :thumbup1:

If Clubman Special Reserve came in a larger bottle, I'd get it ... don't take a chance on being "chosen" by the Veg. It is fickle.

Again, it doesn't smell like cat pee, really. We need to bury that canard. It smells like a teenager's deodorant. Powdery ... offensive. The Veg lingers around you like a horribly visible public faux pas. Picture a green cloud of fake flowery flatus.

But enough Veg-bashing. It has many who, ah, wear it. Everything isn't for everybody, and that's a good thing- or there wouldn't be any examples for us to avoid.

AA

Last edited:
If Clubman Special Reserve came in a larger bottle, I'd get it ... don't take a chance on being "chosen" by the Veg. It is fickle.

Again, it doesn't smell like cat pee, really. We need to bury that canard. It smells like a teenager's deodorant. Powdery ... offensive. The Veg lingers around you like a horribly visible public faux pas. Picture a green cloud of fake flowery flatus.

But enough Veg-bashing. It has many who, ah, wear it. Everything isn't for everybody, and that's a good thing- or there wouldn't be any examples for us to avoid.

AA

The first time I sampled it in the drug store (some other sap had cracked the seal on a bottle) I was slightly offended and confused.. I kept smelling my wrist all day wondering why anyone would put this on their face.. but instead of shying away I eventually bought it and bravely splashed it on as if it were one of my other regular aftershaves. Cut with a little water, it dries down to a powder/flower smell, kind of sweet. I like it, not for every day, but I like it enough that it will always be part of my collection. Scent is such a subjective thing really. I can't blame anyone for not liking it.

I bought a new 12 oz bottle at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's quite different than the bottle I have now, which is probably about 4 years old.. the color is light green while my current bottle is more on the yellow side. The scent is more mild, a tad soapy/antiseptic smelling, definitely more smooth, not as sharp. It will be interesting to see if there's much of a difference when I use it tomorrow after my shave, and through the day.

A fresh bottle of Lilac Vegetal is great. It has a subtle scent and does smell like lilacs. However, if it has decomposed, it has a smell between a cat and a skunk. I just opened a new bottle (purchased recently from Bestgroomingtools.com) and it smells great, no foul odor. The color is also green. It appears to fade as it ages. If you buy a bottle that smells bad, you should return it for a refund.
Haha ! I watched a vid on youtube by Big John (Mad Scientist of The Wet Shave) , he had a vintage bottle and said he had heard it described as Cat Urine smell once it goes bad , he concurred . Haha ! It cracked me up ! I've never smelled Lilac Vegetal , but the other Pinaud Clubman scents smell good to me , though I heard veg was a "you either like it , or hate it" type scent . Glad the Fresh Bottles don't have the Cat Urine (haha !) , or Skunk spray smell scent ! That's Great NEWS !
I guess that's one of the few I have never had the treat of getting a whiff , maybe a Good Thing ! But if I have the chance I'll sniff a fresh bottle , I love the smell of lilacs . ... but Play Dough , or Cat Urine/Skunk , I've already had that treat .

Thanks Howard and Tim , and everyone ,
​Cheers , Michael

Thanks Tony !
Haha ! That was Great ! It may be Veg is like English Pipe Tobacco , tastes Great , but to everyone in the room they think , "? I thought pipe tobacco smelled Good ? What Happened ?" But at the other end , Aromatic Pipe Tobacco taste is so so , but has tongue bite trouble , normally , and I'd rather not , but to those in the Room ,"WOW ! That smells Wonderful !" Veg , Pipes , Stogies , All depends whose enjoying it , and whose not . If you like it , Rock On Garth ! Thanks , Love the Song !

​Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
The wife and I had that conversation this morning as I put it on.
It's a great smell that shouldn't suffer because some old school morticians chose its pleasant aroma to offset the smell of the dead, or because its previously popular scent made it a standard choice for bathroom deodorizers.
that merely speaks to the efficacy of its scent, and I believe that there's been enough time between those traditional uses and now to allow us to break those scent associations.
I agree! Just ordered another 12oz!

Top Bottom