What's new

D R Harris Cream

I am looking to try a D R Harris cream. As of now, my mind is on the rose. Please share your experiences with this cream or any D R Harris flavor you may have tried. Thank you in advance for your responses.

I have a tube of the Arlington. I find it to be very nice. It doesn't take much to make a lot of lather. It seems to handle a lot of water pretty well too. I enjoy the Arlington scent, though I am pretty much worthless in describing it. I prefer DR Harris to TOBS Mr. Taylor. Harris seems to stay more stable and be a bit more protective for me.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The only one I've tried is Arlington from the tub. It performs wonderfully, and the scent is . . . Arlington! I doubt you will be disappointed with performance.

Last edited:
I have the rose. Great scent, not too sweet, the usual outstanding D.R. Harris performance. Prefer it over TOBS..

I have the Windsor (complex, citrus, leather, pepper, vetiver, ?patchouli) and Lavender (Lavender) sticks. The Windsor is better to my nose.

Thanks, Gents.

As with the other DR Harris products I have tried it looks like I probably can't lose. I am becoming increasingly fond of this product line.

The Rose is very nice indeed.

My hands-down favorite is the lavender: a true lavender (not as strong as Castle Forbes, which in my opinion is nuclear) with touch of added sweetness, which isn't at all sugary or cloying; more like the sweetness of freshly whipped cream without any sugar (if that makes any sense!). Very pleasant indeed.

D. R. Harris rose is very good indeed, authentic scent, very good performance. I like the Queen Charlotte, but it is much more solid than the Harris, more like Cella in consistency. Truefitt + Hill also make a good rose cream.

I don't care for DRH Rose, simply because the pink dye was starting to stain my brush, when I was using it daily. I would assume their lavender has the same problem. (Lavender is the only DRH cream that I have not tried, but apparently it has purple dye in it.) With that being said, pink dye is common with a lot of rose scented creams. I guess it goes with the territory.

I love Arlington, Windsor, and Marlborough. All are fantastic in every regard. My honest suggestion is to get samples of everything. You might end up finding out that you can't live without more than one variety. :p

Never had any problem with DRH or any other colored cream.

$image.jpg

DRH creams (in my experience) are great. Seeing as I always shave with soap these days, were I forced to choose a cream, it would certainly be in a scent which doesn't exist in their soap range... Rose would be a top contender.

DRH creams (in my experience) are great. Seeing as I always shave with soap these days, were I forced to choose a cream, it would certainly be in a scent which doesn't exist in their soap range... Rose would be a top contender.

The exact reason why I tried it. Fabulous stuff.

There are only Rose and Eucalyptus. I don't know why they don't offer those two in soaps, though. Eucalyptus soap would rock. Rose soap would be nice, too.

I have Windsor soap, and it does not smell as nice as the cream. The soap smells like a bar of ivory soap with a faint hint of the Windsor fragrance.

....I have Windsor soap, and it does not smell as nice as the cream. The soap smells like a bar of ivory soap with a faint hint of the Windsor fragrance.

Very interesting comment. I have Lavender and Almond soaps, and enjoy them. Did get samples of Arlington and Windsor soaps, and could hardly discern any scent other than a vague "soap" scent. Had originally attributed this to old/bad samples. Your comment makes me wonder!

Never had any problem with DRH or any other colored cream.

Well, I noticed that there was a pink tinge on the tips of my brush, that was not washing off when I rinsed the brush after each shave. It has gone away since I have switched back to white creams. Perhaps it did not actually stain the bristles, but it was certainly leaving a residue.

Very interesting comment. I have Lavender and Almond soaps, and enjoy them. Did get samples of Arlington and Windsor soaps, and could hardly discern any scent other than a vague "soap" scent. Had originally attributed this to old/bad samples. Your comment makes me wonder!

Yeah, there is definitely a dominating "soap" smell.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm very glad someone mentioned the DRH Eucalyptus. I have tried that, and I love the stuff. I keep trying to out it out my mind because I need another cream or soap like I need another hole in the head, but it sure would be a nice Summer selection!

DRH creams are great. My favorite among them is the sandalwood. At first, I thought the scent of the cream was different from the sandalwood aftershave, because the top notes at the opening are different. However, the core scent is pretty much the same, so it definitely is a complement to the aftershave. Performance is top notch, as well. The matching bath soap is also great.

I bought DRH eucalyptus at the same time as I got TOBS peppermint. I prefer the peppermint, so the eucalyptus has always taken a back seat in my mind, which may not be fair. It's a straight eucalyptus - not an "impression" of the scent, like one finds with Proraso. The DRH reminds me very much of Hall's mentho-lyptus cough drops. Performance is normal for DRH, which is to say excellent. The cream also has a mild menthol hit - very light.

FWIW, both the sandalwood and eucalyptus creams are free of colorants.

DRH creams are great. My favorite among them is the sandalwood. At first, I thought the scent of the cream was different from the sandalwood aftershave, because the top notes at the opening are different. However, the core scent is pretty much the same, so it definitely is a complement to the aftershave. Performance is top notch, as well. The matching bath soap is also great.

I bought DRH eucalyptus at the same time as I got TOBS peppermint. I prefer the peppermint, so the eucalyptus has always taken a back seat in my mind, which may not be fair. It's a straight eucalyptus - not an "impression" of the scent, like one finds with Proraso. The DRH reminds me very much of Hall's mentho-lyptus cough drops. Performance is normal for DRH, which is to say excellent. The cream also has a mild menthol hit - very light.

FWIW, both the sandalwood and eucalyptus creams are free of colorants.

To my nose, the sandalwood aftershave is quite strong, and yet the cream is very very faint. TOBS and GFT sandalwood creams are three or four times stronger than the DRH sample that I tried. Eucalyptus seems to be one of the stronger DRH creams, and you are correct that it is a straight up eucalyptus "cough drop" smell. I also prefer TOBS peppermint, because peppermint is less "medicinal." Both are lovely, though.

Top Bottom