History of Badger & Blade
Badgerandblade.com was founded in August of 2005 by Joel, Nick, Scott (Scotto), Andrew (Austin), Randy (Rtaylor61), Randy (rschul2), Ron (guenron), Mark (mark the shoeshine boy), Art (AACJ), and Rik - to create a fluid online community with the ability, and the desire to promote the near-lost art of Traditional wetshaving.
While there were other online shaving communities, there were none at the time with the features, options and platform you see here at B&B. B&B is, and has always been different from other communities by having this a TRUE community... we like to think every member of this fine forum feels at home here, and feels a part of this little sliver of space on the web. We were the first to create a VB based web forum, to allow us the fine options you see today such as review systems, tons of smilies, tons of features, steadfast reliability, lightning quick speed, and we will continue to be innovate, and be the "first" with many new options to come, such as an integrated wiki, blog system and auction system. What makes B&B truly different is our sense of community... we have a special shave clinic for new users, to help, support and encourage struggling - or curious newbies, we have a barbershop - to kick up your feet, relax and have some fun with "the gang" and we have a review system - to share your experiences, thoughts and opinions of different products. While often imitated, we were/are the first - to implement a true sense of community within a web based shaving forum. We've gone from "the little guy" a mere year ago, to the "thousand pound gorilla" - not with ads, marketing, or huff and puff... but with a true passion for our community, and every member within it. Our goal, and the primary reason for the founding of this community is to create a community that truly cares... and that can always grow - with the members in mind. Sure, this is a shaving forum... and we primarily talk about shaving... but we don't just care about your shave, we care about YOU.
Shaving can be a bothersome chore... or it can be a luxurious/fun experience and just like shaving - this place is only what YOU make it, so whether it be an information resource, a place to have fun and show off new goods, a place to meet some new friends and relax a little, or whether it be a downright obsession, there is one common it requires YOU.
Log in.... jump into the fun, ask questions, review products, talk about last nights game in the barbershop.... or, just kick back and watch the fun, but remember.... this is your little slice of the internet, this is YOUR little place, so whatever you do - have fun and enjoy yourself, because that's why we have... and will always be here.
Significant Events in B&B History August 13, 2005 First B&B thread August 15, 2005 B&B Gallery August 15, 2005 First SOTD thread August 17, 2005 Hall of Fame August 21, 2005 First Acquisition post? August 23, 2005 First B&B Contest September 14, 2005 First Acquisition thread August 18, 2005 2nd swap box: Goodwill November 18, 2005 Chat November 28, 2005 B&B DVD ready (Ordering thread) November 28, 2005 By Popular Demand-The Four Pass shave February 2, 2006 The Badger & Blade Decant Club March 5, 2006 Review System March 11, 2006 Wet Shaving FAQ v 1.1 created March 28, 2006 Fragrance Train April 19, 2006 1st swap box ends July 23, 2006 What works for me an early version of Kyle's Prep August 26, 2006 1 year anniversary, 1000 members contest October 29, 2006 First Official B&B Branded Shaving Brush -- List of all B&B Branded shaving products November 19, 2006 B&B Decant Club Store November 25, 2006 first B&B rules of conduct November 28, 2006 Kyle's Prep December 19, 2006 Gentlemen's Essentials - Official B&B Cookbook January 16, 2007 ShaveWiki Opening Ceremony and Discussion Thread January 20, 2007 First vendor interview with Sue Moore of Saint Charles Shave -- List of all B&B Interviews February 9, 2007 Google Map -- eliminated in 2011 software upgrade March 15, 2007 B&B shaving book??? June 25, 2007 Group Buy Policy July 23, 2007 Contributor Page October 25, 2007 B&B Facebook page January 20, 2008 New Front Page Feature (finalized) June 7, 2008 1st Meritorious Shaver Award: in the Merit Awards Gallery July 22, 2008 B&B Carnival February 21, 2008 Sampler Kits November 5, 2008 The Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-09 April 18, 2009 First member meet in Texas. Rumors abound about earlier meets, but so far no photographic evidence has been brought to light. October 14, 2009 Carnival of Smiles -- B&B's first major charity event raised over $10,000 for Operation Smile, setting a new standard for future B&B events. May 2, 2010 B&B Steward Program October 19, 2010 Established annual Saint Sue Moore Day October 11, 2011 First straight razor restoration competition. Competition #2, #3, #4, #5, #6. December 1, 2011 Vendor overhaul. Crerated a single tier for vendor subscriptions, and added a new Hobbyist / classified forum July 13, 2012 Twitter feed December 27, 2012 Social Media sharing added to B&B
Growth of Badger & BladeAs of January 1, 2013, B&B had just over 30,000 members. The charts don't reflect this accurately. See the note below for an explanation.
B&B Membership Growth 100 August 24, 2005 200 December 4, 2005 300 February 16, 2006 400 March 24, 2006 1,000 August 15, 2006 1300 September 28, 2006 1500 October 24, 2006 2000 December 20, 2006 5000 November 20, 2007 10,000 -- celebration August 12, 2008 15,000 * May 1, 2009 20,000 * June 29, 2009 30,000 * September 2010 40,000 * July 2011 50,001 * July 1, 2012 30,000 * (Why the numbers were corrected.) December 2012
Number of threads First B&B thread August 13, 2005 1,000 December 15, 2005 10,000 December 3, 2006 100,000 July 21, 2009 200,000 March 30, 2011 250,000 September 10, 2011
Number of posts 100,000 November 2, 2006 500,000 April 8, 2008 1,000,000 March 25, 2009 2,000,000 June 7, 2010 3,000,000 April 4, 2011 4,000,000 April 1, 2012
* Some of the numbers don't accurately reflect the exact number of active members, posts, and threads. The method of determining the numbers hasn't been consistent over time. Many of the numbers here are accumulated totals. Members have come and gone. Posts and threads have been deleted, moved, and merged. Spammers have had their membership revoked. And some of the numbers and dates are just estimates.
* In December 2012, B&B adjusted its membership count to account for fake (spam) members. This brought the count down from 55,000 to just over 30,000.
B&B Carnivals & Charity FundraisersThe First B&B Carnival was a festival of fun activities, contests, and prizes. But it was also the prelude to something special at B&B.
"During the first carnival we raised nothing. Zero. Zilch. It was after the success of the first event that we decided that the next one should be a charitable event. It was determined that if we were going to put that much effort into it, it should be for a good cause. The rest is B&B history." -- Johnniegold, Merit Award Recipient
Since then, B&B has helped raise over $50,000 for charity, including over $40,000 for cancer related charities.
First B&B CarnivalJuly 26, 2008 - August 24, 2008
Special Announcement: The B&B Carnival Is Rolling Into Town
Front Page Article
- Contest 1: Funniest Avatar
- Contest 2: Funniest Shave Setup Photo
- Contest 3: Funniest Username
- Contest 4: Funniest Shave Story
- Contest 5: Most Insightful Thread Post
- Contest 6: Funniest SOTD Photo
- Contest 7: Funniest Shave Song
- Contest 8: Funniest Shave Poem
- Contest 9: Funniest Shave Video
- Contest 10: What B&B Means to Me
- B&B Carnival for Canadians! Hozer Shave Set Up!
- The B&B Carnival Contributor's Raffle and Winner
- Early Bird Special!!!
- The Castle Forbes Giveaway Contest
- Vintage Blades Grand Prize Giveaway
- Carnival Clean Up
- Final Words on the B&B Carnival
- B&B Carnival Comes to a Close--2008 LE Winner Announced
Carnival of SmilesOctober 16, 2009 - November 22, 2009
The B&B Carnival of Smiles in 2009 was the first major charitable event at B&B, and helped transform all future events at B&B.
The carnival festivities raised over $10,000 for Operation Smile
Here's the letter from Operation Smile
Contests & Festivities
- Contest 13: Badger Biology!
- Contest 1: It's Raffle Time!
- Contest #9: The Truefitt & Hill Quick Quiz
- Contest 10: Name That Product!
- Contest 5: Your Favorite Thread on B&B
- Contest 11: The "How To Be a Good Server" Contest
- Contest 14: For Late Night Insomniac Badgers Only!!
- Contest 347: The Castle Forbes Fly Kit Giveaway Quiz
- Contest C: Where in The World
- Contest 4763: The Delurkifier!
- Contest 42: The Custom Title Trivia Contest -- WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!
- Contest 657: Welcome a Newbie!
- A Special Announcement!
- Contest 4: Spot the Smile!
- Contest 100: The Plisson 100 Contest
- Contest 98.6: T&H Quick Giveaway Quiz
- Contest number: "Three is a Magic Number" - Safety Razor Review Smackdown
- Contest: Need a New Brush? (Australia/New Zealand Only)
- Contest 151: Ogallala in Paradise!
- Contest 96 Tears: The OMG It's Another Raffle Contest
- The Saddleback Leather Co. Grand Prize Showcase
- Contest 12345: Nice Guys Finish First
- Contest #9 #9 #9 - Where In The World Did It Come From?
- Flash Carnival Contest number 6.02e+23 - Gemagadro's Number
- Grand Prize Finale Week
- The Carnival of Smiles "My Favorite Thing" about Carnivals Contest
- Final Thoughts on the Carnival of Smiles
- The Carnival of Smiles Score Thread
Other fundraisers for Operation Smile
In honor of "Saint Sue", October 19th was established as Sue Moore Day in 2010 and in perpetuity.
To date, B&B has helped raise over $35,000 (as of October 2012) for The Sue Moore Memorial Fund, benefiting The Susan G. Komen Foundation and The National Breast Cancer Foundation.
Susan G Komen fundraiser (December 17, 2010)
Soap for Hope (May 07, 2011)
Susan G Komen Run For the Cure Fundraiser (August 14, 2011)
The First Annual Sue Moore Day Celebration and charity auction (October 19, 2011) Raised $6475 for The Susan G. Komen Foundation.
- B&B Charity auction-Early Bird Special
- B&B Charity Auction Lot No.1 Sue Moore Memorial Brush
- Auction Lot No.2 B&B 2011 LE Edison Fountain Pen in Ebonite & 5 O'Clock Shadow
- Auction Lot No.3 Dovo "Astrale" Straight Razor
- B&B Charity Auction, Lot No.4: H. L. Thäter, Triple Delight, SS, Mandom
- Auction Lot No. 5 Simpson Custom Eagle G3 in Best & SCS Soap
- B&B Charity Auction lot No.6 Custom Eagle G3 in Best + Sue's After shave & Soap
- Auction "Lucky Number" 7 : Queen Charlotte Soaps
- B&B Charity Auction No.8 A Rudy Vey B&B 2011 LE Prototype Brush
- Ciao! - A Taste of Italy Auction
- B&B Charity Auction Lot No.10 Samples Galore
- B&B Charity Auction Lot No.11, Professional Stropping kit
- B&B Charity Auction lot No.12 Soapstone Brush and NOS Seaforth Soap
- B&B Auction Lot N0.13 2011 B&B LE Brush #1
- B&B Charity Auction, Lot No. 14 Mühle R41 Razor and Soaps
- B&B Charity Auction Lot No. 15 - Sue's Aspect Shaving Soap, A/S, EDT + Samples
- B&B Charity Auction lot No.16 Brian Brown Straight Razor!
- B&B Charity Auction Lot "Pretty in Pink"
- Many thanks and one more chance to participate
2012 "Saint" Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser
- The 2012 "Saint" Sue Moore Memorial Fundraiser, from October 19-22, raised $17,619 for the National Breast Cancer Foundation. See the dedicated forum for details.
Other fundraisers in honor of Saint Sue
Think Ink for Pink Group Buy
B&B's 2011 LE Fountain Pen Group Buy
Ink for Pink: Benevolent Badger Blue Group Buy
Other Charity FundraisersThe "Let's Make Brianw poorer" thread, part of The "I Lurvz My B&B!" March 2012 Fundraiser, where Brian contributed $350.00 in quarters to Cherished Creations (March 2012)
Bill Ellis' Summer 2011 Special Project. A one of a kind B&B Branded strop for Dogtown
The B&B Movember 2011 team raised $7,650.00 in the USA alone.
"Soap for Hope" was launched in May, 2011 to raise more funds in honor of Sue Moore to support breast cancer research and support services. Three lucky donors received prizes of hard to get shave soaps, new Somerset Simpson shave brushes and unique shaving collectibles. The efforts helped push B&B's donations for breast cancer research over the $10,000 mark.
B&B Branded ProductsB&B Shaving Products are featured on their own wiki page
Other B&B Branded Products are listed under Group Buys.
B&B ran a store front at zazzle in 2010. Several B&B branded products were available, such as buttons, keychains, coffee mugs, t-shirts, mousepads, etc..
Since 2011, several B&B branded products are available through West Coast Shaving.
QED Rose Project Official Thank You thread to Tim
QED Violetta Group Buy and Ordering Information B&B Exclusive Group Buy
B&B Glencairn Whisky Glasses You can still purchase these through West Coast Shaving.
Provence Sante Green Tea Shave Soap! B&B Exclusive Group Buy
The Eagle G3 Group Buy -- 67 brushes (contributed to Operation Smile)
Japanese Kitchen Knives -- 46 knives
B&B LE Watch -- 70 watches
Think Ink for Pink (contributed to The Sue Moore Memorial Fund)
B&B's 2011 LE Fountain Pen -- 64 pens (contributed to The Sue Moore Memorial Fund)
Ink for Pink: Benevolent Badger Blue -- (contributed to The Sue Moore Memorial Fund)
Second Group Buy for Japanese knives -- 18 knives
2012 B&B LE Fountain Pen
B&B LE Pipe -- 25 pipes
B&B End grain cutting boards - 44 boards
B&B Essential Fountain and Rollerball pen
This page has been seen 17,820 times.
- Created byLast updated by