What's new

YSL Rive Gauche PH why so hard to find?

Can anyone share some insight on why this frag is so hard to find in store (at least in my area it is). I've tried: Saks, Nordstrom, Macy's, Von Maur, perfumania, kohls, ulta, belk and the tj maxxes/marshals of the world. Online it is even hard to find a frag oil of it.

Any help? I love fine american blend and Barbersoul so I'm 99% sure that I'll like it but nervous about a blind buy.

I believe it was pulled from the market and then brought back in a new package at a higher price.

The old 4.2oz metal can package is still available on Amazon but the price has gone up since I bought mine in 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/GAUCHE-SAINT-...598465&sr=8-1&keywords=rive+gauche+pour+homme

This is the new package with the higher price.

http://www.amazon.com/Gauche-Yves-Saint-Laurent-Toilette/dp/B007JZ5SKQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409598465&sr=8-3&keywords=rive+gauche+pour+homme

Here is some info from an older thread.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/314073-Rive-Gauche

The new square bottle looks pretty awesome IMO, but there has been some controversy at Basenotes as to whether the juice has been tampered with. The general consensus is that it is weaker. If you dig RG, you'd probably do well to seek out the older packaging vs the new.

proxy.php

Rive Gauche in the black/silver canister (I think it was made to look like a can of shaving cream for a reason) for men can be found in the 125 oz. variety for around $40 or less at many discount fragrance websites. I just got this one last week and I would recommend it for someone who enjoys the nice clean scent you get from a typical can of Gillette, Edge or Barbasol shaving cream. I enjoy it. It's very pleasant and will not offend anyone unless you douse yourself in it. I haven't had it very long and have only had one full wearing so far, so I'm not exactly sure yet where it will fit into my wardrobe.... but I think it's a very versitle scent. Good for the office or just doing yardwork on a Saturday afternoon at home. I blind bought it and so far I don't regret it.

Ben

Last edited:
I have bought a couple partial bottles (cans) off Basenotes in the past year, and then bought another bottle recently that is still in the wrapper. I happened to just randomly find a few new bottles at a small fragrance store in the mall near me, so I had to get one. I probably have 250ml total. Haha. Anyway, there are cans out there at decent prices, just takes some searching.

I suppose I should have said hard to find in store. I'm a bit wary of doing a blind buy but from what I've heard Fine American Blend and HTGAM Barbersole are dead ringers for the actual scent so I'm going to snag some on amazon. Thanks for all the help gents.

what I've heard Fine American Blend and HTGAM Barbersole are dead ringers for the actual scent so I'm going to snag some on amazon.

I have no idea what those two scents smell like.

But in the 14 years of being at Basenotes, and having seen hundreds of claims that X smells exactly like Y, I have yet to see/smell a single case where that is true.

There are three versions of Rive Gauche PH - the vintage metal bottle which has
"Yves St Laurent
Parfum" on the back of the bottle.

Then there is the reformulated version in the metal bottle, which only has "Yves St Laurent" at the same position at the back of the bottle.

And then there is the new version.

It is definitely worth finding the vintage version on Ebay, because strange things happen when wearing it - like the episodes recorded here be me and others.
http://www.basenotes.net/threads/37...-the-Darndest-Reactions?highlight=Rive+Gauche

Regards,
Renato

I stopped by the flagship Hudson Bay Store in downtown Toronto at the fragrance counter and found out YSL Rive Gauche PH is no longer sold in North America. Gee thanks YSL.

I stopped by the flagship Hudson Bay Store in downtown Toronto at the fragrance counter and found out YSL Rive Gauche PH is no longer sold in North America. Gee thanks YSL.

There are a few reputable vendors on Amazon who have stock of the "cans" of Rive Gauche - you can normally get them for about $70.

As far as the American Blend/Barberpole comparisons: I would agree that they are similar. But YSL Rive Gauche is way more refined, and miles deeper than Fine and HTGAM's interpretations. Don't get me wrong, American Blend and Barberpole/CaD are my FAVORITE scents, when it comes to soaps and aftershaves; I love them and think they're fantastic. But Rive Gauche is a well designed fragrance, and you should expect some differences. Again, they are similar, and you can tell that Fine and HTGAM's scents were likely "inspired" by Rive Gauche, but the YSL product has some very nice properties that neither of the other two have. That's why you pay $70 for one, and $15 for the other. All that said, EVERY TIME I use American Blend A/S, I use Rive Gauche. Matter of fact, Rive Gauche is my daily driver right now for all four seasons.

I was told by the salesperson in a store the other day that this is rumored to be back Stateside this winter. We'll see....

Last edited:
Amazon. Rive Gauche is a scent that is so different than most mass market products, ymmv. Lavender, Anise, Rosemary, spice, wood, and other awesome ingredients.

Top Bottom