What's new

Your thoughts on this Seiko Astron watch

I am looking that this Seiko Astron watch (SSE096J9 | Astron | Seiko Watch Corporation) -
SSE096J9_29192703559797_jpg.png

I am looking for a watch that has a perpetual calendar, GPS time synchronization, and an easy system for automatic time adjustment when I travel to different countries.

This Seiko is what I have come across. Wondering if anyone here has one and can share your thoughts on and experience with the watch. Also, I would be interested in any alternatives that have most if not all the same features for under $2000. Automatic time adjustment is the most important watch feature for me.

Tim

I have a couple different variants of the citizen version of this watch. All of them are solar so no messing with batteries. All three use radio time signals and seem to work pretty well. I have used them in north america, asia, europe and australia and they all seem to set themselves fine. My oldest is a bit smaller and has some tachometer features (as well as a slide rule bezel). My other two are perpetual AT versions. I really like getting on a plane setting the landing timezone and the watch is set.

If I am not wearing one of my mechanical watches I will typically have one of these watches on my wrist. Someday I will upgrade to a watch that uses GPS time instead of the old tech WWV (and equivalent). I think all three of my watches total less than 1500.

Ruckin.

I'm not a fan of rose gold and croc strap on a sporty tech watch. Like wearing tracksuit and black dress shoes.

I like this one better.

proxy.php

Look at some grey dealers, specifically omega and Tudor.

Tudor has some great references, and fly under the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The OP watch has a cleaner face but the second watch posted has a better colour scheme.

I am intrigued by the GPS function. Presumably this is the next generation upgrade of the atomic watch that would sync every night with a signal from the atomic clock, but presumably this new function works worldwide not just in the range of the atomic clock.

I like the watch and an earlier version was on my wishlist until I realized that it was a bit larger than I liked to wear. For travel I find that a highly accurate quartz watch with a quick set hour hand works well enough. Except when traveling to India and needing to set it a half hour ahead.

You might also consider a high end gshock, or depending on where you are traveling the 5600 digital model with solar and radio controlled updates (not real time).

Watches are personal items so my comments do not really matter, but I think you should choose the watch you will most enjoy wearing everyday or when traveling, and ignore the automatic time adjustment, since you are likely to already be using your smartphone for alarms and to check time in different parts of the world.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Automatic time adjustment is the most important watch feature for me.

an easy system for automatic time adjustment when I travel to different countries.

Something to consider ...

one option might be getting a GMT watch. Basically the same as a regular watch, but with an added "GMT" hand that goes around the face once every 24 hours.
proxy.php

Pull the adjustment knob out "one click" and rotating the knob moved only the GMT hand forward or backward (depending on which way you turn the knob) in one-hour increments. Pull it out two clicks and it rotates all three hands (minute, hour, and GMT). So I keep the minute and hour hand set at "home time", and move the GMT to whichever hour it is (on a 24-hour clock) where I am when travelling.

Added benefit is you can keep the GMT hand set to whatever time zone you want when not travelling, so if you have friends/relatives in some distant land, you always know what time it is there at a glance ... very good for avoiding calling someone at 2am and having that "oh, sorry, I thought it was the afternoon there" conversation with a sleepy and grumpy uncle.

Something to consider ...

one option might be getting a GMT watch. Basically the same as a regular watch, but with an added "GMT" hand that goes around the face once every 24 hours.
proxy.php

Pull the adjustment knob out "one click" and rotating the knob moved only the GMT hand forward or backward (depending on which way you turn the knob) in one-hour increments. Pull it out two clicks and it rotates all three hands (minute, hour, and GMT). So I keep the minute and hour hand set at "home time", and move the GMT to whichever hour it is (on a 24-hour clock) where I am when travelling.

Added benefit is you can keep the GMT hand set to whatever time zone you want when not travelling, so if you have friends/relatives in some distant land, you always know what time it is there at a glance ... very good for avoiding calling someone at 2am and having that "oh, sorry, I thought it was the afternoon there" conversation with a sleepy and grumpy uncle.

Just so I understand how the GMT watch works, the way it's set tells me it is 10:08 am in the home country and 5:08 pm in the country in which you are presently traveling?

Tim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just so I understand how the GMT watch works, the way it's set tells me it is 10:08 am in the home country and 5:08 pm in the country in which you are presently traveling?

Tim
Not exactly.
proxy.php

The regular "hour hand" still works on the standard 12-hour watch face ... so, it's "10:08" but no indication of am/pm.

The GMT hand (red) works on a 24-hour basis, using the numbers around the edge of the watch (you see the numerals 2.4.6.8.10 and so forth around the edge) so the "10" represents "10:00am" or "ten hundred hour". If the GMT hand were to be indicating 10pm it would be pointing at "22".

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pull the adjustment knob out "one click" and rotating the knob moved only the GMT hand forward or backward

Just so I understand how the GMT watch works

I don't have a GMT with me to check, but .... I may have got it wrong as to which hand is moved at the "one click" position ... the GMT or the "regular hour" hand. On reflection it may be the actual hour hand.

The watch was originally developed for pilots. They could set the GMT hand to actual GMT time and keep it there, and adjust the "local" time as they flew from time zone to time zone and still be able to know what "GMT" was for navigational communications purposes and such.

The more I think about it, the more I think I got the hand-clicking backwards, but I'll check when I get access to my watch "collection".

I'm not a fan of rose gold and croc strap on a sporty tech watch. Like wearing tracksuit and black dress shoes.

I like this one better.

proxy.php
I agree about the rose gold and brown leather strap combination. I now have had a chance to look at other versions. I am not crazy about the version you have pictured as it is too complicated looking for my tastes. However, I do like this version, which has a less complicated face, what I think is a nicer color scheme, and something that looks more business professional than sport -
SSE087J9_29192634437986_jpg.png

Tim

I don't have a GMT with me to check, but .... I may have got it wrong as to which hand is moved at the "one click" position ... the GMT or the "regular hour" hand. On reflection it may be the actual hour hand.

The watch was originally developed for pilots. They could set the GMT hand to actual GMT time and keep it there, and adjust the "local" time as they flew from time zone to time zone and still be able to know what "GMT" was for navigational communications purposes and such.

The more I think about it, the more I think I got the hand-clicking backwards, but I'll check when I get access to my watch "collection".

Doc4,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. However, it sounds a bit more complicated than my simple mind is looking to deal with. I suspect I will just go with the GPS watch. Just want to see it first, given how much of an investment this will be for me. I also want to make sure the watch is as idiot-proof as the GPS function leads me to (hope) believe ;>).

Tim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Doc4,

Thanks for getting back to me on this. However, it sounds a bit more complicated than my simple mind is looking to deal with. I suspect I will just go with the GPS watch. Just want to see it first, given how much of an investment this will be for me. I also want to make sure the watch is as idiot-proof as the GPS function leads me to (hope) believe ;>).

Tim
No problem.

You should find the option that best suits YOUR needs. I'm just letting you know about a different option, and if it's not for you I am not going to mind at all.

I wonder how the GPS watch handles changes in time zones when travelling. If I drive eastward across a time zone line, how does the hour hand move forward (eg from 8:14 to 9:14)? If I drive westward across the line instead, does the hour hand just "sit there" not moving for an hour until it catches up with the new current time? What about flying in an aircraft across the Pacific (or wherever, across numerous time lines)? Unlike with a digital display, I'm suspecting that some sort of manual adjustment will be needed. I wonder how easy that is, and whether or not the watch "knows" that it needs the adjustment ... does it do the adjustment automatically ... or beep at you to adjust it?

Hmm ...

No problem.

You should find the option that best suits YOUR needs. I'm just letting you know about a different option, and if it's not for you I am not going to mind at all.

I wonder how the GPS watch handles changes in time zones when travelling. If I drive eastward across a time zone line, how does the hour hand move forward (eg from 8:14 to 9:14)? If I drive westward across the line instead, does the hour hand just "sit there" not moving for an hour until it catches up with the new current time? What about flying in an aircraft across the Pacific (or wherever, across numerous time lines)? Unlike with a digital display, I'm suspecting that some sort of manual adjustment will be needed. I wonder how easy that is, and whether or not the watch "knows" that it needs the adjustment ... does it do the adjustment automatically ... or beep at you to adjust it?

Hmm ...

Hmm.. is right. I have many of the same questions and I intend to get answers before I plunk down any serious money. There is a Seiko Boutique shop on Madison Ave. in NYC. Work brings me into the city for meetings quite often so the Seiko shop will be a stop during my next visit.

Tim

It depends on the movement used in the watch. In the Swiss ETA movements that some watch makers use, the GMT hand is independently adjustable without hacking the movement, but the hour hand is not. IMO this makes it less suitable for traveling, unless one wants to read the local hour off the GMT hand (too confusing for most people).

Other watchmakers provide a quick-set hour hand that allows the current hour to jump in one hour increments without hacking the movement, allowing the owner to leave the GMT hand set to their home timezone. Arguably a better watch for traveling across time zones.

No problem.

Hmm ...
When I looked at this line/brand of watch some years ago it only checked the external time reference signal once a day (or maybe it was a few times each day?) in order to save battery power. But it would check the time on demand at the push of a button. It could also be put into "airplane" mode to disable updates, to better handle the situation where the watch automatically resets without the wearer noticing (like being asleep on a transcontinental flight).

I have had several Seiko watches beginning with the model worn by Sean Connery as James Bond, but the last one turned me off. It automatically adjusted for leap year and DST/EST changes and had a 10 year battery which failed. Turned out that replacing the battery didn't solve the problem. Repair required returning it to Seiko at a cost in excess of what I paid for the watch at the jewelry store! My solution, since all my computers, tablets, and phones are all Apple was to go for the Apple watch. I can easily change the appearance from time to time, add or change buttons to pull up various apps, and it does so much more. I can see why you might want a more conventional-looking watch, but for me, the Apple watch has been the answer.

Top Bottom