What's new

Your thoughts on quality of clothes recently purchased

Let me set the stage. I am stranded in Berlin, Germany without my luggage, which KLM Airline inconveniently decided to leave behind in Amsterdam.

So, off I go to purchase two days worth of clothes (luckily I packed two days' worth in my carry-on) from The Mall in Berlin. I came across a store called Peek & Cloppenburg and ~700 EURO later I walk out with two pair of Hugo Boss dress shirts, two Calvin Klein ties, two pair of Daniel Hechter dress pants (tailored to my preferred length), and a nicely textured grey Carl Gross sport jacket.

Being unfamiliar with the Hechter and Gross brands I am wondering whether I wildly overpaid or is the manufacturer's quality in line with the cost?

Tim

P.S. - KLM is (supposedly) going to pick up the tab for these clothes considering they have caused me so much grief.

Manufacturers have so many different lines that it's difficult to tell without seeing the garment. Don't forget to claim the taxes when you return to the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do you mean by claim the taxes when I return to the US? This is new to me.

Tim

The Value Added Tax (VAT) that's charged on goods in EU countries. I believe Germany charges 19%. You show the store your passport to prove your not a resident of an EU country and you receive a VAT claim receipt that shows how much VAT you paid and some additional forms. Fill out and submit at your departure airport or mail it in to claim the VAT.

Here's a link that explains it a little better - How to Claim Value-Added Tax (VAT) Refunds by Rick Steves

Last edited:
The Value Added Tax (VAT) that's charged on goods in EU countries. I believe Germany charges 19%. You show the store your passport to prove your not a resident of an EU country and you receive a VAT claim receipt that shows how much VAT you paid and some additional forms. Fill out and submit at your departure airport or mail it in to claim the VAT.
Yup this is well worth it. Saves you guys a lot of dosh.

Here's a link that explains it a little better - How to Claim Value-Added Tax (VAT) Refunds by Rick Steves

Although, in your case, you had to wear the items before returning to the US so you would not receive the VAT deduction.

Just got back to "sweet home" Alabama last night. Still no luggage, but they did supposedly find it and it is supposedly on it's way to be delivered to my home. We'll see.

In the meantime, I am really loving the Daniel Hechter dress pants. They are very well-crafted, the fabric feels wonderful and of very high quality, and the legs are lined. I think these were a great choice. I also went out a bought a few more shirts, ties, and a really nice pair of black Loake-Lifestyles Sherlock Oxfords. They don't have the Goodyear welting, but they have this classic European styling. I will start another thread to show them off and start a conversation about the Loake brand.

Tim

Interesting thread. First, good luck in getting your baggage.

This reinforces my #1 consideration when traveling by air (and I have traveled a lot-more than 3MM): DO NOT CHECK a bag, if at all possible. Nothing good can come from that! I take less stuff and try to get down to one bag!

Top Bottom