What's new

Your suggestions for vintage DE razors

Gents:

I have a nice collection of DE razors, and I know very little about the vintage razors out there. Fatboys, Rockets, etc....the names are colorful and I just don't seem to know the differences between the various vintage razors.

I find my EJ Chatsworth (great balance, head shaves beautifully), Futur (the heaviest beast in the stable, but well balanced and I like the adjustable feature) and Feather (light and maneuverable, and with a new Feather blade, it offers the most effortless BBS shave I can get) to be my best razors.

If this offers an indication of what I like, are there any suggestions out there from the cognoscenti of the vintage DE crowd?

Thanks,

Chris

I have a Futur that is my got to razor (this week), but I'm really starting to enjoy my Red Tip.

I am new to this so a 1954 Super Speed is all I have at the moment. I was in the local consignment shop and saw a Gillette New Standard with case. They came down from 65.00 to 45.00 but still too much for me. It was in good condition with just a little brassing on the handle. Should I have picked it up for that price?

If you like a heavy razor, the Fatboy I guess would be most comparable to your Futur. Heavy head, thick handle, and adjustable. Very in demand.

Here is a link from the review section of this website.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=G&t=1779

+1

I am pretty new to this as well, but I love my Super Speed so far. Haven't tried a Fatboy yet. Sounds like a Fatboy would be pretty good for you since it seems as though you like a little heft to your razor.

No. I MIGHT pay 45 if it was near mint.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get them down some more. They only have DE's come through every once in a while. I got my Super speed there for 5.00 with case. in very good condition. Case not so much, Cracks and crazing.

I am new to this so a 1954 Super Speed is all I have at the moment. I was in the local consignment shop and saw a Gillette New Standard with case. They came down from 65.00 to 45.00 but still too much for me. It was in good condition with just a little brassing on the handle. Should I have picked it up for that price?

I got an excellent cased Gillette NEW off ShopGoodWill for $23 shipped--$45 sounds like a bit of a ripoff. For some reason, places like that tend to massively overestimate the value of anything that has a case. And call everything a Tech because somebody stuck it in a Tech box.

Post in the WTB section of the Marketplace forum...someone will likely have half a dozen and be willing to part with one for a fair price.

I purchased a NEW (long tooth) off the B/S/T forum a couple of weeks ago. It may be lighter than you like, but it gives me fantastic shaves. I'd look at picking up one of these in decent condition. They're inexpensive enough that if you're not enamored of it you can either PIF it or turn around and re-sell it.

I got an excellent cased Gillette NEW off ShopGoodWill for $23 shipped--$45 sounds like a bit of a ripoff. For some reason, places like that tend to massively overestimate the value of anything that has a case. And call everything a Tech because somebody stuck it in a Tech box.

A New and a New Standard are very different razors. If the New Standard razor and case are in nice shape then $45 is a good price.

Len

Top Bottom