Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So this is what I am currently using but have other favorites

Blue: Edelstein Saphirre/ Liberty's Elysium
Blue/Black: Noodler's Manhattan Blue/Montblanc Blue Black
Black: Noodler's Old Manhattan
Green: Montblanc British Racing Green

This changes around over time.

Black: vintage Parker Quink lately, I think; I like Edelstein Onyx, too; I was using Monte Blanc for awhile recently; generally anything lying around and that included a lot; I had a sample of Pilot Irsohizuku Take-Sumi Bamboo Charcoal that I really liked

Blue-Black, Blue-Green-Black: Pilot Irsohizuku Tsuki-Yo (maybe this is more of a dark blue, but I think of it has having some black to it); Noodlers Air Corp Blue Black (a long time favorite I came back to recently; I love this hue)

Black-Red: I cannot remember what all I had tried, but I liked them all. There is a PR that is very nice.

Grey: Pilot Irsohizuku Fuyu-Syogun

Grey-Blue: J Herbin 1670 Bleu Ocean, seems blue grey to me, I used to love this ink, but I am finding that the hue does not look quite right for most purposes to me

Grey-Green: Noodlers 5 O'Clock Shadow (really have come back to this ink; a true favorite; very versitile, genius of a hue)

Blue: Noodlers Van Gogh Starry Night (maybe this is really a blue-black; I think of it as a dark blue for some reason; wonderful ink; wonderful color); there are a lot of lighter blue inks out there, especially vintage ones that are very nice, Skrip #42 washable blue is surely one, Parker Penman Sapphire, not that I have ever had very much of it; B&B Noodlers BBB is very nice and I use it frequently; Private Reserve DC Supershow blue is a wonderful, brilliant blue, but I do not end up wanting to write in brilliant blue very often

Brown: Pilot Irsohizuku Yama Guri, by a mile

Purple or whatever shade it really is: easily J Herbin Poussiere de Lune, I wish I had the guts to use this ink more frequently, its color reminds me of old-time business stuff for some reason and seems very warm to me; my bottle recently grew some slim though; I will buy another bottle when I get a chance

Red: J Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite, by a mile, great shading, very rich

Green: Caran D'Ache Amazon (searched all over for this light to medium green; great for editing documents or making notes on printed material; CA is great flowing ink in nice bottles, that is not cheap); for a dark green probably PR Sherwood Green

Highlighter Yellow: Pelikan M205 Duo, have been using solid Korean highlighters recently though

Other Highlighter Colors: the various shades by Noodlers all seem nice, I do not trust Year of the Pig, I had a small bottle that turned solid

I do not seem to use pink or orange for anything.

After 20 years in remission, I have fallen down the fountain pen rabbit hole (or is it ink well) again. For the past couple decades there are only a couple pens that I have regularly carried, and it has been pretty much Waterman Florida Blue (I see it has changed name to Serenity Blue) and rarely MB black.

However, today I have pens loaded with:
  • Noodler's Black
  • Namiki Blue
  • Waterman Florida Blue
  • Delta Nazareth Green (from LA pen show 2000)

In addition, I have been sampling 15-20 inks from Goulet Pens.

And one of my favorite shaving vendors is to blame. On a visit to West Coast Shaving, I noticed that they had these odd fountain pens called Ahab. When I asked about it, I learned of Noodler's AKA Nathan Tardiff, a familiar name from the olden days of Sheaffer pen collecting and restoration. I innocently brought the Ahab home, and now look what happened!

Alan

Have far too many inks, but normally just stick to four

• Black - Pelikan Brilliant Black or Pilot Black
  • Blue - Namiki Blue
  • Blue/Black - Parker Quink Blue/Black

Black: gots me a bottle of noodlers and aurora...whatever's around when the pen runs out, that's what I refill with. Like the shininess of the Aurora, the permanence of Noodlers.
Black-green: sequoia
Black-purple: PR ebony purple (wish it had more permanence, but the color is awesome!)
Black-blue: 54th Mass. or Diamine midnight

Lately i'm not into stuff that is bright and in-your-face.

Desperately seeking a lucious black-red that doesn't dry to a scab-color. Love the idea of black-cherry, but the stuff I've seen doesn't meet what I have in my head.

Last edited:
When I asked about it, I learned of Noodler's AKA Nathan Tardiff, a familiar name from the olden days of Sheaffer pen collecting and restoration. I innocently brought the Ahab home, and now look what happened!

Another oldtimer then :wink2:

Surely you must remember Frank Dubiel and Alan Tischler then as well, and acpp!

I know Nathan from my Snorkel collecting days too ... I must say that I sold most of my collection about 10 years ago, including my repair stuff, to fund a (small!) vintage saxophone collection.

Black - MB Mystery, Edelstein Onyx
Blue - Liberty's Eleysium, Baystate, Kon-peki
Green - MB Irish for dark; for something with pop, undecided...
Orange - Apache
Red: Widowmaker
Purple: La Couleur Royale - like you, rarely used but the bottle was $5 and the only "S" word I know is "sold!" ;-)
Highlighter - Dragon's Napalm

I've been using MB inks more lately - got a full set cheap so I need to decide which ones I like. Oyster Grey is filling my "looks like a pencil" kick and the Irish is a keeper.

But, to my eyes, most of their palette is dainty rather than bold; maybe it's the super-saturated Noodler's colors coloring my judgement?

Another oldtimer then :wink2:

Surely you must remember Frank Dubiel and Alan Tischler then as well, and acpp!

I know Nathan from my Snorkel collecting days too ... I must say that I sold most of my collection about 10 years ago, including my repair stuff, to fund a (small!) vintage saxophone collection.

I knew Nathan as scaupaug on the Zoss list and acpp on usenet back in the 1990's and I still have a copy of 'Da Book' authored by Frank. My "collection" was never more than a few dozen pens, modern and vintage, all users. It was more like searching than collecting, and once I determined my favorites there were only a few that I used regularly. The rest have been stored away.

Scaupaug indeed :001_smile

He did an excellent repair on my vintage Aurora 88! Unfortunately, his repair work had a bit variable quality, ranging from sloppy to stellar. And yes, I still have a signed copy of Da Book as well indeed. I was subscribed to the Zoss list, but didn't participate much there.

Email was my main way of communicating then, besides the acpp Usenet group of course. And there was somewhat of a predecessor of the Pentrace message board ... I forgot the name (ikonpens or something?).

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Black - Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Orange - Iroshizuku Yuyake (just arrived, can't wait to try it)

The rest are all Diamine

Black - green/black
Red - Red Dragon, Oxblood, Syrah (I guess I like red)
Purple - Bilberry
Blue - Asa Blue
Copper - Ancient Copper - my favorite

I recently got several different Akkerman inks and was pleasantly surprised at the color palate. You can do a quick google search and see the whole range of colors. The shocking blue is really great. China red is a vibrant red. The orange, green, and pink inks are unusual. And the bottles are really cool!

Another dark blue I like is the lavender scented blue from De Atramentis. The scent doesn't hang around for long, and the lavender scent isn't comparable to shaving cream scents but it's a nice ink.

For a dark red, Noodlers black swan in Australian roses is a good choice.

For brown, I use Kiowa Pecan by noodlers.

I use Noodlers Bernanke Black if I have to use black...

Update of favorites, after two large orders of ink samples from Goulet:

Black - have some J. Herbin Perle Noire I still need to test drive
Grey/Blue - Diamine Prussian Blue
Blue - Diamine Majestic (after a second try, Majestic beat out Liberty's Elysium; Sargasso Sea writes SO smoothly, but too purple and "flat" for me)
[Waterproof Blue - Noodler's Liberty's Elysium]
Turquoise - Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
Green - Diamine Meadow (J. Herbin Vert Empire is on my list to try)
Yellow/Orange - Noodler's Apache Sunset (also like Ancient Copper, but too similar to what I already have)
Brownish - Noodler's Golden Brown (someday might want to try Orange Crush, though)
Red - Diamine Red Dragon (also interested in J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, but costly and maybe too high maintenance?)
Dark Red - still want to try Diamine Oxblood but Goulet was out o' stock
Purple/Pink - tried, and liked, Diamine Claret and Damson, but not likely to use these much, if at all

As you may be able to surmise, I lean toward bolder colors with unique shading or sheening qualities.

Black - Noodlers Heart of Darkness
Blue/black - Levenger Empyrion
Dark blue - Noodlers blue (little shading), J Herbin Eclat de Saphir (nice shading)
Medium (?) blue - J Herbin Pervenche (very light)
Turquoise - NA
Pink(ish) - NA
Red - Noodlers Rattler Red (as a prof, I use this a lot and like a deep red. Pelikan 4001 is just too light for me)
Purple - J Herbin "something" de Lune (very, very dark - blacklike)
Green - Private Reserve Sherwood (fast drying, bluish tint)
Brown - I wish I could say Noodlers Brown, but it takes forever to dry. Pelikan Amber for a light brown

Specialty ink: Private Reserve Buttercup as a highlighter ink.

I have lots of multiples in most of the colors. I tend towards Noodlers and J Herbin because i can support a local art supply store.

Mostly samples, the only bottle I have is Waterman's Mysterious Blue. I've been impressed with the regular Pilot/Namiki Blue and it gives some water resistance. Also have liked Noodler's Lexington Gray. Guess I am gravitating to things with some water resistance.

Top Bottom