What's new

What flavor is this?

I have a very eclectic collection of pouches, tons, and samples. Some starters from generous users here. Thank you all. I’ve been at this a little while and am homing in on what I like.

I have a strange habit of describing flavors and smells using colors and textures.

I’m going through my library I’m finding I’m gravitating towards this little hidden note in certain tobaccos. It’s kind of a perfume like flavor. Not really floral or fruity, but more like a perfume mixture. I describe it as a light purple taste verging on periwinkle. For reference I would say cavendish is a deep dark blue and latika would be a dark brown, but not black. Virginias would be in the yellow to green areas, except that red….that’s going orange for me. I THINK the common leaf in my reach-for blends is perique. I really like this little hint I’m chasing and would like something more pronounced.

Any recommendations for my hunt?

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
You've probably discovered Lakeland. It is very common to almost all Gawith totobaccos. It isn’t my favorite so I don't typically seek it out, but many of their blends have it. A quick search for Lakeland topped tobaccos should offer many suggestions for you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is some of the lakelands from SG and GH. Some, to me absolutely have a "perfumey" note to them, and it's not a bad thing at all.
Without a personal frame of reference, I'm afraid I can't identify them in your color scheme.

brandaves

Well, if floral is what you're chasing it's Lakeland...never heard perique described that way. Perique is more musty and peppery depending on the blend. Musty in Haunted Bookshop, peppery in lighter Virginia Perique blends.

My favs right now are Sutliff Revelation and a tin of From Beyond (I think it’s called). I’ve been told by those in the know I’m partial to VaPer blends based on earlier trials. I also liked Escudo, but can’t get it locally.

brandaves

My favs right now are Sutliff Revelation and a tin of From Beyond (I think it’s called). I’ve been told by those in the know I’m partial to VaPer blends based on earlier trials. I also liked Escudo, but can’t get it locally.
Well, based on this I'd say what you might be liking is Latakia. Although not in Escudo, it is in both Revelation and From Beyond. It is smokey in flavor and in my experience is rarely condimental, even when blenders intend it to be. The problem for me is that I'd never describe it as floral or perfume flavored in any way (although, neither is perique). Try another Latakia (English) blend is my suggestion to see if that scratches an itch.

The second best pipe tobacco in the world is Condor Long Cut. It tastes of too much perfume - if you can imagine smoking a prostitute’s handbag, it’s like that. It’s truly wonderful. But best smoked in a dedicated pipe because it leaves a ghost of the scent. Sometimes I just suck on my Condor pipe without tobacco in it just so I can enjoy the flavour. Absolutely lovely tobacco.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Orientals can give all types of flavorings, almost incense. I like oriental forward blends more than latakia blends. Most of the oriental blends have latakia. Add an oriental to a VaPer and even better (I'm looking at you Sunday Picnic!)

I'm thinking Orientals too. If so, might be worth trying to track down a tin of Skiff Mixture.

I’m going through my library I’m finding I’m gravitating towards this little hidden note in certain tobaccos.

I understand what you are saying. I’ve been chasing a little note in VAs lately. Still trying to identify the blend with the most of it.

Can you name the tobaccos that you most find that hidden note?

Late to the party here, but would you guys say that there is a similar floral note to be found in Nightcap? I get a similar note on the retro-hale with Nightcap that is delightful. I've "looked" for it in other blends such as Penzance, Pelican, Squadron Leader, but to no avail. I'm wondering if it is perique that I'm tasting, since the other blends mentioned do not have perique? Fortunately I am well stocked on Nightcap for a while, so scratching that itch isn't a problem. It would be nice to find other tobaccos that have a similar pull and mystery about them to add to the cellar without going on a wild goose chase.

Happy Smokes!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Late to the party here, but would you guys say that there is a similar floral note to be found in Nightcap? I get a similar note on the retro-hale with Nightcap that is delightful. I've "looked" for it in other blends such as Penzance, Pelican, Squadron Leader, but to no avail. I'm wondering if it is perique that I'm tasting, since the other blends mentioned do not have perique? Fortunately I am well stocked on Nightcap for a while, so scratching that itch isn't a problem. It would be nice to find other tobaccos that have a similar pull and mystery about them to add to the cellar without going on a wild goose chase.

Happy Smokes!

Here's a couple from my database that have Latakia, Perique and Virginia as does Nightcap. Varying strengths, cuts and toppings though.

Peterson Nightcap - Latakia, Perique, Virginia - Strength 5 - Flavoring None - Room Note Strong - Cut Ribbon
Captain Earle’s Diamond Head - Latakia, Perique, Virginia - Strength 3 - Flavoring None - Room Note Pleasant - Cut Cake
Cornell & Diehl Black Frigate - Latakia, Perique, Virginia - Strength 3 - Flavoring Rum - Room Note Tolerable - Cut Cake
GL Pease Sparkplug - Latakia, Perique, Virginia - Strength 3 - Flavoring None - Room Note Tolerable - Cut Plug

brandaves

Happy Smokes!
Give Sutliff Voodoo Queen a shot if you like Nightcap. Similar components and flavor profiles at vastly different prices!

Top Bottom