What's new

Your First Fountain Pen

That's pretty much my exact storyline. Pilot 78G, fine nib, but maybe a few months ago. I might let it go; I might not.

In my defense, I did get a three-pack of Varsitys just prior to this and enjoyed them. I ended up PIFing them to people in an inadvertent show of my enabling abilities.

Hmmm... Did you ever hang out in the "Never Ending PIF?"

Did any of your victi, er, friends/family end up buying a nicer fountain pen after your PIF? Just curious.

-Andy

I plead the Fifth.

Two out of the three, as far as I know.

There's a good chance This is the guy I can blame my problem(s) on. Well... the FP related problems anyway.

Yup. It was you. Thanks a lot! :letterk1:

(Incidentally, I did send my PIF out only a few days later. I later rePIFed the KMF Limes. A move that I greatly regret now that I know how to build a proper lather... and am addicted to the smell of lime.)

Can't actually remember the first fountain pen I purchased.....
Memory might be on the fritz, might explain why I am always finding "new" fountain pens in the cupboards :scared:

But then it is the perfect excuse, when asked why I purchased a specific pen, I could honestly say that I didn't remember buying that one :thumbsup:

Legion

Staff member
When I was a kid I bought one of those Sheaffer calligraphy sets.

In recent years my first was a Chinese Jinhao. It worked OK, well enough to tell me I needed more, and more expensive fountain pens.

Osmoroid Italic fountain pen when I was at school in the mid 50's. (Last century). We all had to learn Italics instead of cursive handwriting. I have never been a neat writer since.

Bic Disposable fountain pen, currently using it at work and no one seems to care, just think I am a little weird. I may have to step up here.

I started with the Sheaffer school pens that used the carts. Bought a Pelikan at some point. I would use, grow tired of them, throw out, buy another after a couple of years and the cycle would repeat. No enablers or mentors back then. Now I have 3 Sheaffers, a few boxes of cart packs and a Parker 75 set I inherited. I only use the Sheaffers now because I don't want to lose the Parker. Besides I have enough carts for a lifetime.

My first pen was a little red hero, i still have it, in fact i just eyedroppered it with super chrome ink lol, its a nice heavy pen with metal construction that will not survive much longer as it is being used in the name of science and curiosity

And terrorizing your cat? :tongue_sm

My first pen was a little red hero, i still have it, in fact i just eyedroppered it with super chrome ink lol, its a nice heavy pen with metal construction that will not survive much longer as it is being used in the name of science and curiosity

The first fountain pen I purchased was a Waterman Charleston in M nib, and while I was waiting for it to arrive, I found two Parker Vacs and two 51's in the wild. Played with them and found out they needed restored, and sold them on the BST which covered the cost of my Waterman, lol.

An old Cross Century II (I think) with a nice gold nib. I still have it and it still works great.
I bought it at a jewellery store that was going out of business.

Anyone else? First pens? Bueller?

-Andy
$MkxZKy77sWoEw.gif
Mine was a MB 149 that I still have. I tore the heck out of it, and then sent it into MB to refurbish.

Since then I haven't used it much. I probably should, but I just don't enjoy it as well as many of my other pens. I can't bring myself to get rid of it though, as it was my first.

strop

Now half as wise
When I was a kid I bought one of those Sheaffer calligraphy sets.

In recent years my first was a Chinese Jinhao. It worked OK, well enough to tell me I needed more, and more expensive fountain pens.

You've come a long way!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Schaeffer school model in junior high, a leaky mess, soon went back to the "new" Bic pens.
Been writing recently with a Lamy Al Star, just got a Nemosine Ltd Fission today, got a few Parker 51s on the way.

First pen? It was a Jinhao Great Wall. I believe I got it in 2008 or 2009 from HisNibs, so I overpaid for it most certainly (the guy overcharges on every Chinese pen he sells by at least 100%). But at the time, I didn't know any better, and I was THRILLED at how well it was packaged. It had a gift box with the Great Wall and Chinese characters etched on it, with cards and papers inside, and a bamboo "scroll" with what looked like Confucius' writings lasered on there as well. A very nice presentation, so the $46 I paid didn't seem outlandish at the time.

I still have the pen, but I haven't used it in quite awhile.

Top Bottom