What's new

Your favorite blade/razor combo - and worst

blades and razors can make strange and/or wonderful bedfellows. I think that is something you learn as soon as you try your second blade or second razor and is only made more plain the more of each you try.

I have found that I like Feather blades the best in my NDC Superspeed and feather popular. I like personna red Isreali blades in most razors but not so much in my PAA Bakelite slants.

So what are your favorite pairings of blade and razor? Your worst?

My favorite is the Merkur 34C and (gasp) Derby Extra blades. A second on the blades would be the Astra's SP or SS. Like Feathers but not enough to pay double the price and get half the shaves (only get 3 decent shaves)

Worst would be, with the razors I have tried, Gillette Tech, Fatip Piccolo, Fat Boy, New OC, Merkur Bakelite, and a few more I can honestly say I don't have a worst, I could shave with them all. On the blade end I would have to say the Shark SS never felt good.

Now that you have opened this can of worms lets see what the rest of the gang thinks.

Best is my Rockwell, with almost any blade, it's very forgiving. (Feather, Astra, Pol-Silver, Rapira Plat Lux, or Kai)

Worst would have to be the green packaged Derby blades, horrible, a butter knife would yield a better shave. The worst razor was a piece of garbage Chinese razor I had ordered for a couple of bucks. (Couldn't bring myself to shave with it, tossed it in the trash).

My favorites would be Gillette 1906 single ring, Fatip Piccolo, & W-3 40s style SS all paired with a KAI blade. Runners up on blades would be Feather, Dorco Prime, Nacet, GSB. Razors would be Red Tip SS, any of my old types, and all my adjustables.
Least favorite razors would be Schick Krona, my New LC, I haven't had the LC very long I may not have found the right blade for it yet. I had the Krona for quite a while never got a good shave with it. B few blades I never cared much for are Big Ben, Treet Carbon steel, Van Der Hagen.

I only own 2 razors, 1 for my face and 1 for my head. I only use 2 blades, 1 for the face and 1 for the head. I have run the gamut of razors and blades, this is my shaving nirvana combos

Face - Timeless .68 SC with Gillette Platinum blades. I change the blade every Monday, shave are literally flawless, 2 passes BBS

Head - ATT M1 with a Dorco Prime blade. The Prime's are surprisingly really good blades

Worst blade I ever used was Voshkod. Those things felt like they ripped every hair out. Worst razor was probably the iKon slant, forget which version I had

Any ATT 1 plate and an Astra. Sublime.

Schone/Fatip and Personna Red. Do good things in life for this is what the devil forces those in hell to shave with.

The best shave I've had is my newly-acquired FatBoy with an Astra SP. Following that, it's a tie between a EJ89 and a Qshave (Futur clone) both with an Astra SP. The worst blade I've used (not that I've used all that many) was a Feather, and I've tried them in several razors. Ironically, I used to think I got good shaves with a Derby Extra, but in the razors I mentioned above, they didn't shave well at all. As for the worst razor I've ever had, I can't say the razor was bad, but I just didn't like the shave...I've tried several open combs, and none of them were comfortable for me. Of those, a Pearl OC was really rough for me.

This one is easy, if you'd asked for three or more I would have trouble because those chosen stand out for me:

Best razors - Ikon B1 slant & ATT R1 preferably on a Kronos handle. My reason for these is they are forgiving, work wonderfully well, no searching for angles and you can feed just about any blade through them.

Least liked razor - ATT M1 & Timeless .68. Probably upset a lot of people with my choice but that's how I judged them

Best blade - just about all

Least liked blades - Dorco & Feather. A piece of galvernized iron sharpened on a concrete footpath is sharper than the Dorco and the Feather is the only razor that irritates my neck.

These days I can get good shaves with most any set up that I use. Great shaves are another issue!

I have pretty much settled on my 'destination' razor, Wolfman WR1, which is almost all I reach for these days.
My top tier blades (in no particular order): GSB, Nacet, Astra SP, Personna red, and Personna lab. Occasionally, I use something else, just to confirm my preferences!

Best :
Mingshi 2000S Adjustable works well with any of my blades, but the best I had recently was with a Personna Platinum Chrome

Worst:
Derby Extra, SuperMax/Super Stainless, Laser Stainless, Topaz, Zorrik, Gillette Rubie, Gillette Wilkinson Sword,
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Wilkinson Sword Economie - no matter which tried and tested razor I tried them in, I either got a mediocre shave, or worse - a lousy one

My fav is the Gillette Rocket HD and any blade except Graham Fields!
My go to blades right now are Gillette 7'O Clock Green and Astra SP. With Feather used regularly as well.

I have no real least favorite razor I can and have gotten great shaves from every variety of DE and SE razors. I don't use ones that are not in my daily stable of 10 or so razors. But I also have not tried very many modern DE razors either.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Any poor blade: stick it in an aggressive OLD.

Any really sharp one: stick it in a mild Tech or Knack, etc.

AA

Top Bottom