What's new

Your Best suggestions as to leathers

I'm interested in your opinions as to those colognes that have a good leather scent to them. Obviously, we are all subjective in these things olfactory, but suggestions are welcomed.

So far, my inquiries have produced:

Knize 10
Knize 10 Gold Edition
Creed Royal English Leather
Cuir Ottoman by Parfums d'Empire (jasmine and leather with iris)
Chanel Cuir de Russie (aldehyde floral with leather and civet)
Habit Rouge by Guerlain (leather and citrus with vanilla)
Chanel No. 19 (green leather)
Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Magnolia Pourpre (floral with leather and vanilla)
Creed Royal Delight (jasmine with vanilla and leather)
Parfum d'Habit
Cuir Pleine Fleur
Idole de Lubin
Eau d'Hermes
Déclaration
Oud Cuir d'Arabie, and Derby

Whew! Any others? What are your favourites, and why?

Thanks in advance gents.

Chris

Although I am stating the obvious, what about Dana's English Leather?

In a world of uni-sex aquatics and vanilla infused colognes, gool ol' English Leather is an interesting masculine scent.

Personally, I don't mind this drug store fragrance.

Wearing Trumper's Spanish Leather right now from a sample vial, and I like it quite a bit. Be aware that it is very, very old-school. I'm 21 and if my friends hadn't already basically accepted the fact that I'm a tweed-wrapped dandy they'd probably get on my case about the fact that I smell like their grandfathers on the way to a saloon.

Cuiron (Helmut Lang)
Bel Ami or Equipage (Hermes)

Cuiron is no longer in production and when a bottle does pop up, it's crazy expensive.

The others aren't cheap, but samples, minis and decants are affordable and both are really nice.

I'll second scottb's Bel Ami. I can best describe it as a lemony, leather, woody scent. I really like it!

I also like L.T. Piver Cuir, even though it doesn't seem to get good reviews from others!

How about a bargain in Bogart? Nice hit of leather in the base of that one.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather is a fave of mine. But you must sample.

It starts a bit odd with a kind of rasberry note- but it turns into a strong and potent leather scent. It is VERY linear. That is to say, once that leather note kicks in, it's there for the duration without any subtleties. I like it because it's a very pure, new leather scent with good longevity on me.

Some of the leather scents on your list are strong on the leather note- some are much more subtle and blended. Do you have a preference?

Last edited:

It starts a bit odd with a kind of rasberry note- but it turns into a strong and potent leather scent. It is VERY linear. That is to say, once that leather note kicks in, it's there for the duration without any subtleties. I like it because it's a very pure, new leather scent with good longevity on me.

Some of the leather scents on your list are strong on the leather note- some are much more subtle and blended. Do you have a preference?

Yes, definitely a stronger leather note. I have been looking on line for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and it seems a tad elusive, being sold out in many places.

There are some good suggestions here, and I'm trying to recall if Creed's English Leather is more of a straight-out leather scent, or more of a blend.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions here, I am mulling them all through!

Best,

Chris

Yes, definitely a stronger leather note. I have been looking on line for Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather and it seems a tad elusive, being sold out in many places.

There are some good suggestions here, and I'm trying to recall if Creed's English Leather is more of a straight-out leather scent, or more of a blend.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions here, I am mulling them all through!

Best,

Chris

Creed REL is a bit of both. It's got a sweetish note which I attribute to ambergris that makes it distinctive. But the leather is truly there. Not as strong a leather note as TL.

One thing to add -- I have a short review of Cuir Pleine Fleur on the 'testflight' thread. Outstanding mix of leather and violet. But it isn't straight up leather, for sure.

One thing to add -- I have a short review of Cuir Pleine Fleur on the 'testflight' thread. Outstanding mix of leather and violet. But it isn't straight up leather, for sure.

I'll check your review, thanks.

I sampled this again at Nordstrom yesterday, and agree with the comment about being linear leather. I don't get the raspberry note, though. However, I came back to sample it again, because the leather is simply amazing, and for me, lasted several hours, with low sillage - just the combo I like. I will be buying a bottle or decant in the near future.

Of the others listed by OP, I've only tried Montale's oud cuir d'arabie. I really wanted to like this one, but I think the tobacco note puts me off. I need to get back and give this one another shot.

One of the best leather fragrances I know of is Woods of Windsor, at least in its original form. It disappeared there for a while and now has reappeared, and we're awaiting word on whether it's the same juice. WoW includes notes of lemongrass, verbena, and (they say) neroli (though I wonder if it's not petitgrain). The overall effect is something very dignified, solid and well balanced.

If you see reference to tarry or medicinal scents in leathers, it's most likely due to birch tar traditionally used to treat leather. One very strong and idiosyncratic leather fragrance with this tarry/medicinal note is Santa Maria Novella's Peau d'Espagne, which I prefer to Knize Ten. As I remember it, the SMN has vinyl/plastic notes alongside rosewood incense and other aromatic/spicy elements. Fairly expensive, though, which is why I haven't bought a full bottle yet.

Helmut Lang's Cuiron is probably the best leather scent I've smelled. Imagine crushed plums inside a suede lined leather handbag. It's one of the few scents, if not the only one, that I regret selling.

Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather is also a spectacular scent.

If you want something a little more sweet, Serge Lutens' Daim Blond is a nice sniff as well. Cuir Mauresque will be making its way to the export line soon.

Some other leather scents I'm looking to test out are Guerlain's Cuir Beluga, Odori's Cuoio, Robert Piguet's Bandit, Caron's Tabac Blonde, Miller Harris' Cuir d'Oranger.

I will second the suggestions of Oud Cuir d'Arabie and PG's Cuir d'Iris

Last edited:
Definitely Tuscan Leather for me.

It's fairly linear and is a powerhouse. I reckon that it's one of my most complimented colognes.

Top Bottom