What's new

YMMV - Is there such a thing as objective truth in shaving?

YMMV.

How many times have I seen this here?

Sometimes it seems like it is used as a cop-out, the ultimate non sequitur, as though there is no objective reality to the shaving experience.

However, there are realistic differences in people's experiences with shaving gear. I, for one, shave every day, and sometimes look like I could use a second shave. So, yes, the person who reviews a razor or blade after not shaving for several days is not going to tell me much that is relevant.

And the guy on Youtube who spends 30 minutes in his bathroom recording himself do a three-pass BBS shave is not me; that's not how I, or most average guys, shave, though it does seem to be the norm on B&B. Plus, these guys generally pass judgement moments after shaving with the razor or blade for the first time, or sometimes after just shaving half their face. How helpful is this? Heck, one guy is even making recommendations on blades, even though he has a beard.

So the question is: What can each person do to minimize the YMMV effect, to make more accurate, objective evaluations of razors, blades and other shaving gear? What do you do? Is objectivity important to you?

If I might offer a suggestion, you guys could start by not using YMMV as a cover to attack or ridicule the sincere opinions of other members.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I think that would be difficult because not everyone has the same type of skin chemistry as others.

For example ARKO works great for me, but others that are part of our shave club think it stinks. I great great shaves with no weepers or irritation while others end up with weepers and irritation. These are seasoned shavers so I cannot attribute that to inexperience.

The only reason I can think of why that is, is body chemistry. If the soap has issues, the resultant shave will also have an impact and you end up with a YMMV.

Know thyself. Experience with what types of razors, blades, et al tend to work better for me. I watch/listen for keywords. Folks say a razor is mild, then that is a razor I might like and will fair better with my whiskers/skin. When folks say a blade is super sharp like Feather then I know that is a blade I probably won't care for.

Still some trial and error but my rad days are mostly behind me. I like simplicity and consistency these days.

My shaves are very consistent; after all these years, they should be. When I put in a new blade or switch around my shaving soap, obviously the shave will be a little bit different. This is to be expected. The objective truth, that slippery item, is, in my case, shaves that resemble one another closely; that's what I'm after.

Is there such a thing as objective truth in shaving?

No. Neither is there such a thing as "objective truth" in most areas and experiences in life, such as in fishing, religion, politics, news commentary, personal achievement, sexual conquests, funeral eulogies, business dealings, declaring our income taxes to the IRS, or virtually anything I can think of. The possible exception may be in mathematics, but even then I'm reminded of the old worn-out saying: Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

Wish it was a different world. Wish there were better news. Meanwhile, let's shave on, one whisker at a time . . .

I like to seek guidance and advice from fellow B&B members on a wide variety of issues. Some advice is excellent, other advice is not so great or incorrect. I think it is up to each member to decide for themselves what to believe in terms of advice or opinions. Except my advice and opinions, which are always wrong!

Last edited:
YMMV.

Sometimes it seems like it is used as a cop-out, the ultimate non sequitur, as though there is no objective reality to the shaving experience.

However, there are realistic differences in people's experiences with shaving gear. I, for one, shave every day, and sometimes look like I could use a second shave. So, yes, the person who reviews a razor or blade after not shaving for several days is not going to tell me much that is relevant.

And the guy on Youtube who spends 30 minutes in his bathroom recording himself do a three-pass BBS shave is not me; that's not how I, or most average guys, shave, though it does seem to be the norm on B&B. Plus, these guys generally pass judgement moments after shaving with the razor or blade for the first time, or sometimes after just shaving half their face. How helpful is this? Heck, one guy is even making recommendations on blades, even though he has a beard.

So the question is: What can each person do to minimize the YMMV effect, to make more accurate, objective evaluations of razors, blades and other shaving gear? What do you do? Is objectivity important to you?

If I might offer a suggestion, you guys could start by not using YMMV as a cover to attack or ridicule the sincere opinions of other members.

Your thoughts?
Unfortunately, there is no objective experience for one and everyone has different preferences for another. There are people here who after decades of shaving have not spent a dime over $100. A vintage razor and brush that they were handed down by their father or grandfather, arko or williams or conk, cheaper gilette or astra blades, alcohol based AS etc. There are people who spend $40 on one soap that lasts 3 months, with preshave, postshave balm, matching splash, stainless steel razor and latest and greatest 'hand-turned' knot. This guy has spent more in a quarter than the other guy has spent in his lifetime. There are also people who shave with nothing but an old cartridge razor in the shower with no foam or gel or anything and change their blade twice a year. I know cause I've lived with these people. Their faces couldn't get any smoother. Ask them what aftershave they use and they look at you like you're mad.

In my experience, I don't say YMMV a lot, because I'm only offering the perspective of my mileage so to speak. Im not an idiot though, when something is good...its good. when something is bad...it is bad. I stratify my opinion to price point and cost per shave. Most people do at least subconsciously. As for YMMV being some coy phrase to cover up sarcastic attacks etc. I've seen it a bit. Not often and most people see right through it. When someone is being prickly on purpose, everyone knows. I'm not an evangelist, I just give my opinion and reviews because its fun. Part of the experience for me. Same for reading others. I don't need or want anyone to credit or discredit my view. I think it is interesting though that there really isn't one clear cut winner in each category. There are groups of views but no one view that reigns supreme.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't know of YMMV being used as a cop out or a belittling measure here.
If it has been, then that individual is not living up to the standards expected of members here.
I view YMMV as a statement of "this works well for me, but your results may be slightly better or slightly worse."
It is an attempt to explain an individuals experience with a caveat that invariably, there are outliers.
In life there are always outliers.

Last edited:
Objectivity in how something *feels* cannot really exist. Many things can be measured: sharpness, price, weight, blade gap, blade exposure to name a few.

What made me realize that YMMV is real is when I loved Razor Blade A in one razor, did not like it another. Meanwhile, hated Razor Blade Z in that first razor, but loved it in the other. If YMMV is real in my own bathroom with my own face, it's certainly likely to be true for others.

Shaving is personal in my opinion. I embrace my own shaving journey. I wish you the best of luck and happiness in yours. Heck, if you eventually discover more objective measures, my wallet will salute you!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
YMMV.

Your thoughts?

In my opinion no, there is not an objective standard. Shaving is a very personal undertaking that is influenced by skin type, the individual face, beard type, experience of the shaver, personal preferences and more.

When someone asks for advice, I try to ask questions to help me better understand what might work better for that shaver and offer advice based on their parameters.

Just my opinion. :cool:

YMMV is a term meaning we all have subjective perceptions to certain items. If I said a Razorock Lupo is made of stainless steel that's pretty objective. You can't dispute what the razor is made of.
If I said a Lupo 95 is a mild shaver, that's subjective. You may find it tears you up. I may find Arko or Tabac is a great scent. They may make you gag, which is another example of YMMV.
There's no getting around the fact that YMMV is a very real and necessary descriptive term in wet shaving.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't know of YMMV being used as a cop out or a belittling measure here.
If it has been, then that individual is not living up to the standards expected of members here.
I view YMMV as a statement of "this works well for me, but your results may be slightly better or slightly worse."
It is an attempt to explain an individuals experience with a caveat that invariably, there are outliers.
In life there are always outliers.

I agree with this. :) In my opinion, Skill trumps tools. I have mastered the many different tools of choice in my shaves to where, I think I could shave with the rusty tinned top, from an old pork & beans can and still get a comfortable SAS. :) And while "no pressure" is a historic statement and truth told here to beginners, I use pressure all the time in my technique and certain areas of my face, if the razor is light enough.

However, if I ever admit to happily using pressure on my face with a razor; in a thread and topic, I know to immediately follow, with a "YMMV." :)

Until there's a product (soap, blade, razor, brush, etc) that literally every person likes, YMMV is the only constant.

Soap- some react differently to different skins. Scents are extremely subjective as well .

Blade- everybody has different blade preferences based on skin and hair type.

Razor- see blade.

Brush- some only like synthetic, some only like badger, some like back bone and scrub while others love splay and no scrub.

Some people bowl lather, others face lather.

Fayiz D.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
YMMV, IMHO, IANA I am not an attorney) is a product of the times we live in. "Well Joe said he always wipes the blade with his finger and I did it an cut my pinkie off and now I'm going to SUE somebody!!" What works for me may not work for you, it may even be dangerous for you, but, I have no way of knowing that. So it's best to put the caveat lest you be a pariah, or worse.

Top Bottom