What's new

Writing with a fountain pen

I always post the cap. I guess I am a little compulsive with it comes to using a fountain pen, I also make sure that the clip is aligned with the nib tip. To me, that is a big part of the pleasure of using a fountain pen.

+1:001_unsur

I'm like that with the lid of my teapot too!:blushing: The hole on the lid has to be at the back in line with the handle! I'm not OCD but it makes my daughter giggle.:lol:

Oh yes..... Cap on......For me anyhow.

I prefer to post with most pens but with some it doesn't feel right and with some vintage pens I am scared for cracking the cap or marring the barrel so don't post.

As such I use for my daily writing two Sheaffer Pen For Men snorkels that are not cosmetically perfect. Thus posting presents neither worry to me. Heavy, metal cap bands and barrels that already have wear...hey presto post away!

I always post the cap. I guess I am a little compulsive with it comes to using a fountain pen, I also make sure that the clip is aligned with the nib tip. To me, that is a big part of the pleasure of using a fountain pen.

I have fountain pens made by Mont Blanc, Waterman, Pelikan, Lamy, Bexley, Conklin, Aurora, Pilot and Sailor. Some I use with the cap on and some with the cap off. It depends on the size of the pen, what it's made of (precious resin aka plastic), etc.

However, when I do post the the cap, I'm also a little compulsive and make sure that the clip on the cap is aligned with the tip of the nib.

I have a smallish Mont Blanc fountain pen and always post the cap because it feels more balanced that way, and much better in the hand.

And like pal, I do compulsively align the clip and tip ... if the alignment is off even a little, well, it just feels weird.

I used to write with my pens uncapped, holding the cap with my left hand, usually. Lately, though, and with some specific pens, I do write with the cap on. It really depends on the pen. This change in habit also changed my perception in some of the pens I own (e.g. Cartier Diabolo fountain pen, black lacquer and also Cartier Diabolo roller, blue lacquer - these two are the same model but with the different lacquer color the internal design is different, blue one is heavier). If the pen is pretty heavy, then with the cap on it will become heavier, so the balance in the hand during writing will be affected - this is something you will also have to consider.

All in all, and as others have mentioned earlier, it largely depends on the pen.

I'd like to buy a Lamy Safari (this would be my first fountain pen)... any suggestions on which size tip is the best for a beginner? (extra-fine, medium, broad)....

and does anyone have a link to the "convertor" I've read that I should buy? and ink?

(Figured it would be a good idea to post these questions in this thread, rather than start another topic)

Thanks in advance, gentlemen!

Just saw this, bit late but never mind.

1. Nibs on the Safari are pretty inconsistent, you need to remember that. You may get a F which will write like a M, or an F which will write as a EF. Thus beware. Most people prefer F or EF.

See here some examples of writing with a Safari, various nibs.

2. The converter for your Safari, in order to be able to use any brand ink instead of cartridges, is the "Z24 converter" model. Almost any online store stocks them, esp. if you are in the U.S.

Hope the above helps.

Last edited:
As said before, some are supposed to be posted and some arent. If you have to force the cap on the back end, then it probably isn't meant to be posted. My pen can be posted so I post it. The balance it gives helps with ink flow.

This topic on the Fountain Pen Network, went on for pages and pages. I think it came down to a personal decision. Of the 5 pens I have, I post one. The rest I hold in my left hand. I have a Varuna Grajendra. It doesn't post, and even if it did, it would be like 8 inches, so I got in the habit of not posting:)

Marty

I'm interested in trying a stub nib, reading about them they seem to be quite popular. Any recommendations for a cheap, decent pen with a stub nib?

There is a now-defunct German maker, I can't remember the name. I have one at home somewhere. I think it ran about $5-$10, and is a piston filler. You see them pop up every once in a while. Not a high end pen, but competent. I'll see if I can remember to look for it next time I'm home. Although, I'm guessing someone else here will remember the name and help me out..?

Top Bottom