What's new

wood idenitfication

basically got a grab bag of wood and should have really had staff identify what it all was.

but i just set up my lathe and started turning a light color, medium hard blank.

I was fooling around with what the tools do and ended up with a bunch of different things. I wanted to see how a bee-hive would be and ended up with an eagle-ish piece after a while.. like i said just enjoying myself while i have no real plan in mind..

can someone help me figure out if this is something like poplar. I don't know why the photo res is so poor, but if no one can tell at this res, i upload a better shot.

thanks

$IMG_20110717_202818-1.jpg

I actually have a degree in wood science but trying to identify wood from a picture, is very difficult. But all I can tell from the grain is that it's "hardwood". For your information, hardwood doesn't mean hardness of wood but how the ovary (seed) is encased like apple, cherry, peach, walnut, etc.. Softwood is like conifer, your basic Christmas trees. Even it's from a same tree, the wood color also differs from heartwood (center of tree ring) to sapwood (outer layer of tree ring). So if you think it's poplar, then no one can argue from a picture above.

Top Bottom